Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to set up security event email notifications

LeftSeat
Tutor

How to set up security event email notifications

I am trying to set up security event email notifications but I can't figure out how to do it.  Can I use my exchange account or do I need to use a POP3 gmail account?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@LeftSeat wrote:

I am trying to set up security event email notifications but I can't figure out how to do it.  Can I use my exchange account or do I need to use a POP3 gmail account?

I agree the email setup can be a challenge.  I also have Exchange email.  It occured to me that it would be convenient for the notices to come "from" a recognizable email account, so I set up a free Gmail account named "myname.orbi@gmail.com".  Then, the fields for email are:

Primary Address:   <my Exchange email address where I want the mail to go>

SMTP:              smtp.gmail.com

Outgoing port      465

Requires auth      check

User name          <my new gmail account>

Password           <password of new gmail account>

I am sure it is possible to make this all work with the single Exchange account, where messages come from me to me.  But, I took the easy way out and just "got it done".   

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try either account and see. Orbi should be able to send to any email account you input. 

Message 2 of 7
LeftSeat
Tutor

What I don't understand is what to input when it is asking for the outgoing mail server and outgoing port number when I am using an exchange account.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would look up your exchange email services account information and email services address information to see what that is. Your ISP or whom ever you have an exchange service with will have this information. 

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@LeftSeat wrote:

I agree the email setup can be a challenge.  I also have Exchange email.  It occured to me that it would be convenient for the notices to come "from" a recognizable email account, so I set up a free Gmail account named "myname.orbi@gmail.com".  Then, the fields for email are:

Primary Address:   <my Exchange email address where I want the mail to go>

SMTP:              smtp.gmail.com

Outgoing port      465

Requires auth      check

User name          <my new gmail account>

Password           <password of new gmail account>

I am sure it is possible to make this all work with the single Exchange account, where messages come from me to me.  But, I took the easy way out and just "got it done".   

Message 5 of 7

@LeftSeat wrote:

What I don't understand is what to input when it is asking for the outgoing mail server and outgoing port number when I am using an exchange account.  

As @CrimpOn says, those details are down to your email service and its SMTP settings.

Some SMTP servers are a pain. Some even refuse to work.

That is where something like Gmail or Outlook comes in. Both offer free accounts. And you can get them to forward logs to your preferred email service.

Message 6 of 7
LeftSeat
Tutor

I just set up a new gmail account. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements