Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to setup ORBI in a large house with concrete walls

valdisj
Aspirant

How to setup ORBI in a large house with concrete walls

WIFI has always been an issue in a house, which was built with thick concrete walls, quite many rooms etc. This leads to considerable loss of wifi signal already 5...8 meters away from router, if I'm stepping into other room or just arround the corner where wifi router is not in direct eye-sight . It is quite challenging to put in ethernet network with multiple access points, since then it would require actually drilling thick walls all through the house, which I do not want. So I have been trying to survive with building wifi. Initially with Netgear 7000 router + extension points, which lead to dramatic loss of speed (obviousely), then adding Netgear powerline as a backhaul, but that is pretty unstable due to probably power switching board and circuit breakers (I just do not know how that stuff works).

I bought into Orbi lately, hoping it would provide good backhaul connectivity and speed. Which it did on speed. But it did not solved coverage problem, since, really, concrete walls are blocking so much, that it is hard to even get wifi backhaul from 1st flloor to second. This, actually, has been the biggest issue. Now orbiOS 2.1 is out, and I'm hoping I would be able to use it to get ethernet cable from floor 1 to floor 2, and then use 2 Orbi satelites on 2nd floor to populate wifi signal upstairs.

Problem already now seems, that  Orbi router does not always have good and stable connection to Satelite. May be this is due to low wifi-backhoul signal, impacted by concrete walls, so I try to find a place which works (not easy, tough). Therefore I'm thinking about upgrading to 2.1 and adding 1 ethernet cable (painfull, but seems the only possibility).

Question to Netgear Orbi engeneers: Do you think that my problems would be solved, if I would implement following setup: 

1st floor: GSM internet modem->Orbi Router (wifi) with 2.1 OS -> Netgear 7000 router -> Netgear Powerline -> Powerline with WIFI in other room (far far away). I need 7000, since I have ~5 ethernet devices to connect. Then put ethernet cable from Orbi Router from 1st to 2nd floor.

2nd floor: ethernet cable -> Orbi Satelite + one more Satelite in far end of house.

I will use same SSID on all points.

I really hope it will not be dropping connections.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
valdisj
Aspirant

FYI whole solution failed miserably. I'm stopping ORBI. Sending it all back. It just does not work stable. Absolutely unready product. They should act professionally, and recall all ORBIs from market.

Message 2 of 4
Ylevass
Aspirant

How did you resolve situation?  I have similar house configuration with same issues and looking for ideal product / setup.  Already tried over 4 network alternatives and configurations with no success.  

Notes: running network cables not an option. Powerline may be an option but not everywhere in the house due to house having 3 electrical pannels (large house)

Message 3 of 4
steklo5
Aspirant

I have a similar problem. We live in a pre-war NYC coop building with solid concrete walls. WiFi signal degrades very quickly from a room to a room. Using powerline is not an option as this appartment is a combination of two with separate electic panels. Finding a solution is a challenge.

I haven't tried Orbi yet, but having read these posts I won't. Netgear seems to be spending more time and money on creating flashy marketing materials than building products that would differentiate them from the others.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7