Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to stop auto firmware updates on Orbi

Retired_Member
Not applicable

How to stop auto firmware updates on Orbi

I need to stop my Orbi making auto firmware updates and the latest firmware 2.3.5.30 does not seem to have that option. The reason being that I am often away from home for extended periods and I have a Remote reset switch with UIS pinging to reset my Router and Modem if things go wrong. Unfortunately an auto firmware update creates this problem and the entire system goes wrong with the Orbi most likely receiving a very corrupted firmware due to the system resetting when Orbi switches off in the update. killing the system dead! All we need is a switch to disable this option. Any help will be appreciated.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

As of 2.3.5.40, Orbi no longer does "Automatic firmware updates".  The user is presented with a notice on the Home Screen that "Firmware Update is Available." Up to the user whether to do it or not.

Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. To get this straight : if I don’t login to my router and accept download the firmware update then it will not be installed? Will this also apply when using the Orbi app on my iPhone? so I can feel confident that I am in control of any upgrades?
Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I have never seen a firmware update notice on the Orbi app.  (Honestly, I go weeks between opening the app whereas I use the web interface several times every day.)  Over on the Orbi App forum, people may have more first hand experience.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app 

Message 4 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CrimpOn wrote:

As of 2.3.5.40, Orbi no longer does "Automatic firmware updates".  

From what I understand, NG still pushes FW updates.  The difference is that the only ones that are being pushed are those with 'major' revisions or updates that would affect most users.  

If you login to your router (I use the PC mode) and see that an update is available, it's up to you whether or not you install it.  My recommendation is read the release notes before to see what the update is all about.  It may not be in your best interest to update. 

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I made a typo.  2.3.5.30 is the latest release.  Sorry.

As far as I know, there has been no firmware update since 2.3.5.30 (back in May or June?), so we actually have no "proof" that the next firmware release will work the way we expect.

The next firmware might be one of those "major" releases which could be a "push" which the user has no control over.

How does the remote reset switch operate?  Telephone line?  Is it possible to build in a delay on the reset?

Before Netgear stopped the automatic update, there were active threads about how to prevent updates.  I seem to remember one person recommending to block access to the Netgear firmware update web site:

<removed for security purposes>

I don't know if the Orbi site blocking feature works against the router itself.  That might take a separate dns service, such as Pi-Hole.

Message 6 of 9
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Retired_Member ,

Auto firmware update shouldn't happen anymore.  If you must, there is a way to disable it.  Please check out this post on how to enable the hidden option in the Orbi UI to disable auto firmware update.

Good Luck!

Message 7 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I use a 5G Store Remote Power Switch with 2 Outlets - 1 for modem and 1 for Router. I can extend various delays the unknown is for how long?
Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the information.  Quite an impressive device.  It appears that it can be set to wait up to an hour before triggering a reset.

It was not entirely clear to me what happens when there is a general power failure (did not 'study' the document).

If an Orbi update hangs up the Orbi for longer than 15-20 minutes, most of us would power cycle the Orbi.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7