Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to tell what the negotiated link speed of the LAN ports are? (10T/100T/1000T)

eematt
Aspirant

How to tell what the negotiated link speed of the LAN ports are? (10T/100T/1000T)

Is there a way to tell what the negotiated link speed for a LAN port is?

Although I would like to know a universal method for determining link speed, the current situation is confirming my Apple TV 5th generation is connecting at 1000T. The new 5th gen model now has a 1000T NIC for the first time and I would like to confirm the link is connecting at 1000T.

Thanks,
Matt

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: How to tell what the negotiated link speed of the LAN ports are? (10T/100T/1000T)

Hello eematt

It should connect to the highest connection possible if you have the correct cord.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
eematt
Aspirant

Hi Darren,

Thank you for the reply. Would it be correct to say then that there is not a way to determine the link speed from the orbi?

Typically, I use the link lights on the port or a web interface on a managed switch to confirm link speed. But the orbi doesn’t have link lights or a connection page with the link speed that I can find.

It’s nice knowing the link speed to confirm that there is at least not some major problem. It is rare but an improper negotiation can happen. If I did find an improper negotiation then I would recertify the cable, replace NIC, swap ports on the switch, ... Unfortunately NICs and switch ports can fail and cables can be made and ran improperly. Even after a cable is ran someone can run a power line next to it in the future lowering a 1000T to a 100T connection. Knowing the link speed is valuable and assuming the link speed is proper is not enough for me.

As a work around I am thinking of temporarily placing a switch between the orbi and end device to see how the orbi port links to the intermediate switch and also how the end device links to the intermediate switch. Then after seeing the proper link speeds, remove the intermediate switch. This would test everything except how well the end device connects to the orbi. Again very rare, but sometimes switches and end devices don’t auto negotiate well and a manual setup on both ends is needed.

Can you please confirm if or if not it is possible to know the link speed from the orbi? I really like the new attached devices page with v2 and I really appreciate the work on it! However, it could even be better with the link speed added for wired connections.

Thanks again,
Matt
Message 3 of 8
madbrain
Luminary

Agree that this would be a nice RFE. Many cheap unmanaged Gigabit switches nowadays don't have separate LEDs for 10/100/1000 either. The Orbi is managed so this shouldn't be too hard to implement.

10 gig/NBase-T in the home is coming too, even though not supported on current Orbi hardware.

Message 4 of 8
martyfp
Luminary

Link speeds are shown in the "Show Statistics" pop-up....  when I had a cable problem on one device I could see it's rate drop to 100M

Capture.JPG

Message 5 of 8
madbrain
Luminary

Thanks , Marty , good to know !

The stats seem to be there only for the main router though, no stats for the satellite LAN ports as far as I could find.

And no link speeds for Wireless clients, either. At least we now have the wireless bands for each one.

Message 6 of 8
martyfp
Luminary

yes, good point. That would be useful

Message 7 of 8
eematt
Aspirant

Thanks Marty! Even though it only shows the router ports it helps a lot! Thanks again
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7