Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to tell which satellite a device is connected to? How to make it switch satellites?

alokeprasad
Mentor

How to tell which satellite a device is connected to? How to make it switch satellites?

Q1. How can I tell from the web interface which satellite a device is connected to?

I can use the iOS app to do so, but it seems to be a glating oversight to not have this info be available via the web interface.

Q2. How/when does the Orbi decide to switch connections to the strongest one?  I have brought my Ring camera from outdoors to the same room (within 3 ft of the RBR), but it still shows connected to the satellite it used to connect to when it was outside.  The signal strength is low (according to the Ring app), as it should be because it is now much farthar away from the RBS it is still connected to, all the while being within spitting distance from teh RBR!

Q3. How do I make it switch to the RBR?  I could restart the camera, but that is a kludgy way to do that.  Any better way? Shouldn't the "mesh" design of the Orbi do that?

Note: "Enable fast roaming" is disabled in Advanced ->Advanced Wireless Settings.  This is a common advice here.

Besides, it has been 6 hours! even "slow roaming" should have worked by now.

Aloke

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How to tell which satellite a device is connected to? How to make it switch satellites?

Fast Roaming is IEEE standard 802.11r. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11r-2008 

Notice in the first sentence, "for devices in motion".  It is common for the network software in smartphone, tablets, and laptops to be set up to "roam" (either the 'old way' or 802.11r).  Devices that do not move seem to be programmed to connect to an access point and stay connected until the access point signal goes away entirely.

A Ring battery camera is not likely to "roam" because it is physically moved to a new location.

As you have discovered, unless a device is programmed to look for better WiFi connections, there are only three methods that will get it to change:

1. Power Cycle the device.
  2. Have the device "forget" the WiFi, search again, and reconnect. (which can be done on a television, but not on a security camera because once it disconnects it no longer accepts commands)
  3. Power Cycle the access point.

I doubt very much a complaint will get much traction at Ring.  Generally, security cameras are placed somewhere and left there for extended periods of time.

Sorry if I missed the point of the discussion.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to tell which satellite a device is connected to? How to make it switch satellites?

@alokeprasad wrote:

Q1. How can I tell from the web interface which satellite a device is connected to?

I can use the iOS app to do so, but it seems to be a glating oversight to not have this info be available via the web interface.

Either check the RBS web page or use the Orbi app and switch to the RBS in Network Map to see whats connected at the RBS.

Q2. How/when does the Orbi decide to switch connections to the strongest one?  I have brought my Ring camera from outdoors to the same room (within 3 ft of the RBR), but it still shows connected to the satellite it used to connect to when it was outside.  The signal strength is low (according to the Ring app), as it should be because it is now much farthar away from the RBS it is still connected to, all the while being within spitting distance from teh RBR!

Client devices pick and choose what signal they connect to. 

Q3. How do I make it switch to the RBR?  I could restart the camera, but that is a kludgy way to do that.  Any better way? Shouldn't the "mesh" design of the Orbi do that?

Placement and distance from either RBR or RBS will be key. 

Note: "Enable fast roaming" is disabled in Advanced ->Advanced Wireless Settings.  This is a common advice here.

FR should be enabled. 

Message 2 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@alokeprasad wrote:

Either check the RBS web page or use the Orbi app and switch to the RBS in Network Map to see whats connected at the RBS.

The Attached devices on the RBR's web interface does not list the satellite for some devices.  See attached screebshot.  My satellites are named "up" and "down". Those devices are giving me some problems..

How does a _device_ select which (satellite or router) to connect to? RThe device would be recieving and broadcasting on a particular channel/frequency.  Isn't it up to the Orbi system to beamform and send the appropriate packets to the device to/from the nearest satellite?

The suspect device is 3 feet from the RBR and 40 feet from the satellite it is still connected to.  This switching to the nearest device is not happening correctly.

Who do I blame? How do I correct it?

FR should be enabled. 

I'll togge that. Maybe that will fix the "wrong satellite" problem.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@alokeprasad wrote:

The Attached devices on the RBR's web interface does not list the satellite for some devices.  See attached screebshot.  My satellites are named "up" and "down". Those devices are giving me some problems..

I see GUEST in the status page do you have Guest Network enabled? 

How does a _device_ select which (satellite or router) to connect to? 

All that happens on the devices wifi drivers and algorithm done by the devices Mfr. in accordance to wifi specs

RThe device would be recieving and broadcasting on a particular channel/frequency.  Isn't it up to the Orbi system to beamform and send the appropriate packets to the device to/from the nearest satellite? No. Orbi provides the platform for devices to connect to. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beamforming

The suspect device is 3 feet from the RBR and 40 feet from the satellite it is still connected to.  This switching to the nearest device is not happening correctly. 

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS? 

FR should be enabled. 

Message 4 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@alokeprasad wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@alokeprasad wrote:

I see GUEST in the status page do you have Guest Network enabled? 

Yes.  All my IoT devices (Ring cameras, Roomba) are connected to the Guest network.

How does a _device_ select which (satellite or router) to connect to? 

All that happens on the devices wifi drivers and algorithm done by the devices Mfr. in accordance to wifi specs

RThe device would be recieving and broadcasting on a particular channel/frequency.  Isn't it up to the Orbi system to beamform and send the appropriate packets to the device to/from the nearest satellite? No. Orbi provides the platform for devices to connect to. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beamforming

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS? 

I rebooted my RBR and the camera is now connected to the RBR (3 feet from the camera). Clearly, rebooting the RBR or the camera will reset the connection to the nearest Orbi.  But that should happen automatically, ideally.

FR should be enabled. 

Summary: I cannot control which Orbi device the camera connects to.  If it is connected to a "non-ideal" Orbi device, it is the camera's fault. Rebooting the RBR seems to fix the problem.

I have enabled Fast Roaming and will see if that makes a difference.

Message 5 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

Folks,

Do you know of a web site that describes how client devices decide/negotiate which mesh satellite to connect to?

Are the following funtionally the same in re-setting the connection between the client and the mesh system to fix the "connected to the wrong/distant satellite" problem?  If not, which is the correct sequence of reboots?

• Rebooting the RBR
  • Rebooting the "wrong/distant" satellite that the client is connected to
  • Rebooting the client

Willing to read-up and learn.

Aloke

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Fast Roaming is IEEE standard 802.11r. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11r-2008 

Notice in the first sentence, "for devices in motion".  It is common for the network software in smartphone, tablets, and laptops to be set up to "roam" (either the 'old way' or 802.11r).  Devices that do not move seem to be programmed to connect to an access point and stay connected until the access point signal goes away entirely.

A Ring battery camera is not likely to "roam" because it is physically moved to a new location.

As you have discovered, unless a device is programmed to look for better WiFi connections, there are only three methods that will get it to change:

1. Power Cycle the device.
  2. Have the device "forget" the WiFi, search again, and reconnect. (which can be done on a television, but not on a security camera because once it disconnects it no longer accepts commands)
  3. Power Cycle the access point.

I doubt very much a complaint will get much traction at Ring.  Generally, security cameras are placed somewhere and left there for extended periods of time.

Sorry if I missed the point of the discussion.

Message 7 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

Makes sense.  A security camera is not designed to switch access points at it is supposed to be installed at a fixed location.

That explains why the camera would doggedly stay connected to a satellite, with very poor signal strength (RSSI measured by the cam) even though I had brought it a few feet from the RBR.

Summary: When moving the Ring (or any security cam) to a new location, power-cycle the cam.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7