Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to turn off all default open ports?

ymhuang
Tutor

How to turn off all default open ports?

There has below ports are scaned and remain opened, even I didn't activate those service on router or intrfanet.  How to turn off those ports?

21/tcp filtered ftp
53/tcp open domain dnsmasq 2.39
53/udp open domain dnsmasq 2.39

80/tcp filtered http
443/tcp filtered https
631/tcp open ipp?
5555/tcp open freeciv?
20005/tcp open btx?
33344/tcp open netusb TRENDnet NetUSB 1.02.95

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to turn off all default open ports?

You can't turn OFF ports. Those are all automatic and used by something on your network/PC. Disabling some of those ports will cause problems anyways.

Message 2 of 8
ymhuang
Tutor

May I know why I cannot turn off ports?

I didn't enable any FTP, DNS, HTTP, and else service on the RBR50 or any devices on the intranet, nor port mapping on RBR50, since no services on intranet is required.  But network scanner detect there has opend or filtered ports on the internet.

Does this suggest RBR50 has enabled those service without my authority?  Why I cannot turn off those services to close those listening daemon?

Please note that I wasn't scanning RBR50's private IP on intranet, but its public IP on internet.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

There are many reasons why they are automatic. HTTP and DNS are common ports needed by browsers, services and other devices so these are just automatic. Doesn't mean they are not secure. If you could disable thsoe ports you would have no access to internet resources.

Take a Network + class. Explains a lot of information about networking.

Message 4 of 8
ymhuang
Tutor

May I know the reason why RBR50 is not allowed end user turn off ports by their requirement, but hard fixed in firmware?

I believe you must understand it would be better to give end user have control of their device, especially these opened/filtered ports might cause unsafe access, unless Netgear is going to promise those listening daemon are safe and 100% no way to be attacked. 

This should allow end user to turn off those ports if end user understand what they're doing.  NOT hard requirement to ask all end user MUST open these ports without a reason. 

It is really bad feeling while you ask end user take some advance network class.  This is not good communication between Netgear and end user.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume thats not public information. The design of any router is mostly automatic now days. Simplified for end users to use. Most Home users just want to set up the router and use it. So no need for granular advanced controls.

Message 6 of 8
ymhuang
Tutor

If I read this correctly, this confirm RBR50 doesn't allow end user can customize services on the router, but those ports is fixed to open on the internet? 

Will Netgear explain why open some ports not about general services, as below? 

631/tcp open ipp?
5555/tcp open freeciv?
20005/tcp open btx?
33344/tcp open netusb TRENDnet NetUSB 1.02.95

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7