Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to update my DNS entries in Orbi?

kevincol
Tutor

How to update my DNS entries in Orbi?

I'm trying to force Google SafeSearch on at the router / Orbi level.  I can't find any entries on the admin page to set the DNS entry for www.google.com to be a CNAME for forcesafesearch.google.com.

Does the Orbi support this?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Kevincol

The DNS server would be on the Internet Setup page.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
kevincol
Tutor

Hi Darren,

I can see where you can put in a DNS server on the Internet Setup Page.  That isn't what I was trying to accomplish.  I need to input a CName and all that is available is an IP address.  

Message 3 of 7
MarkC1024
Luminary

How is that supposed to happen?  Doesn't it need DNS to look up the IP for the name you're entering?  Try using 216.239.38.120.

Message 4 of 7
TheEther
Guru

That's not supported.

Message 5 of 7
kevincol
Tutor

So, at a network level with the Orbi, there is no way to do this:

Configure Domain Name System (DNS) on your network to add a Canonical Name (CNAME) for the following hostnames: 

For Strict Restricted YouTube access, add restrict.youtube.com as a CNAME for these domains. For Moderate Restricted YouTube access, add restrictmoderate.youtube.com as a CNAME for these domains.

Please do not give a CNAME to other YouTube hostnames, including these:

• youtube.com
  • s.ytimg.com
  • youtu.be
  • googleapis.com

Changing the CNAME for these hostnames affects YouTube's ability to function correctly.

If not, is there an official mechanism to add this as a feature request to Netgear to get it in a FW release?

Message 6 of 7
TheEther
Guru

There's no way to do that.  Idea Exchange for Home is about as close as you can get to an official request.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7