Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to upload an invoice and how to talk to someone to resolve issues

nicksowerby
Aspirant

How to upload an invoice and how to talk to someone to resolve issues

I have an orbi in AP mode at the front end of a Telstra Gateway NBN modem.

Having difficulties with disconnections as well as showing full connection but no internet.

I managed to contact someone in Netgear land who said that they would get someone to ring me to discuss my issues. Nothing has happened there.

Got onto my netgear portal and after some search found out that I had to upload my purchase invoice. Try as I could I was unable to only getting blank pages where I clicked

indicating the area to upload to.

So back to contact netgear, first person told me I had an incorrect number but gave me another number to ring which after a few robotic responses hung up on me/

Now I might be a bit slow but the netgear website is very difficuly to actually drill down to0 something that might help.

So can anyone explain to me how to upload my invoice and please dont repeat the netgear mantra because blank pages dont work for me.

Cheers

Forgot to mention in all this my orbi shows a firmware of 1.9.1.6 whereas the latest is 2.1.4.10 however every time I try to update manually I get the message that this firmware is incorrect for my orbi

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 15
nicksowerby
Aspirant

Not too sure how message two helps me but will wait and see.

In regards to my orbi I am still unable to update the firmware but following the many orbi discussions specifically those of FURRYe38 I have managed to get the Orbi working reasonably well with the two satelites. I have set up a guest network under a different SSD so if the main one plays up I find that the guest one works ok so my wireless set up on my various peripherals will, when one ssd plays up, auto move to a stonger one so wifi remains reasonably constant.

I also enabled DMZ in my modem giving it the IP that it  was giving to the Orbi in AP mode. Not sure if this help or not. Otherwise I changed 2.4 channel to 1 and 5 channel to 40. Both left on full strength but did not not beam forming or mmu.

I do note that when I had the orbi in normal mode compared to AP mode wifi was significantly faster, however this does not appear to an issue for me.

Cheers

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like you made some progress. 

Regarding modem router combo units:

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 4 of 15
nicksowerby
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38  but you might have read in my previous message that things seem to be working ok and i outlined briefly what i did.

my main concern now is why wont the orbi upgrade its firmare considering from what i can see its quite old (info in message 1)

cheers

Message 5 of 15

@nicksowerby wrote:

my main concern now is why wont the orbi upgrade its firmare considering from what i can see its quite old (info in message 1)

If you can access the Orbi with the browser interface, you should be able to manually update the firmware.

There is support for this device at the end of this link:

>>> Orbi RBK33 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support<<<

Message 6 of 15
nicksowerby
Aspirant

Thank you for taking an interest however both my satelites are fully uptodate with the correct firmware.

My problem is i am unable to update the firmware on the orbi router. All i get is this firmware is incorrect for your model.

Surely netgear monitors these forums and can give me an answer.

My firmware is so old its surprising that it even works.

I might try firmware a bit back from the latest.

Last night orbi lost all connection and had to be rebooted. No good trying to fathom that out until i can fix the firmware issue.

Cheers

Message 7 of 15

@nicksowerby wrote:

My problem is i am unable to update the firmware on the orbi router. All i get is this firmware is incorrect for your model.

Who said anything about satellites? I was suggesting that you update the firmware on the router through the browser interface. The same technique applies to all devices.

The link I provided went out to pages with firmware for many Orbi systems, including the device that you list in your "footer".

If you need something else, let us all into the secret.

The  RBK33 is a bundle that includes the RBR40 as the router. You need the firmware for that.

Start here:

Orbi RBK40 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support

The latest firmware for the RBR40 is Version 2.2.1.210.

As you say, 1.9.1.6 is seriously old.

You said earlier:

every time I try to update manually I get the message that this firmware is incorrect for my orbi

What firmware are you trying to load? How are you trying to add it? And what is the full message that you get?

One trick that can work when trying to leap many firmware versions is to work your way up the chain. Pick a version between what you have now and apply that. If it works, move further up the chain. If it fails, go down a few levels.

But this is all surmise on my part based on incomplete information on your system, not to mention a hopelessly misleading subject.

On which:

Surely netgear monitors these forums and can give me an answer.

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Message 8 of 15
nicksowerby
Aspirant

Well thank you for your interesting response.

Rather than get into a flame war you should realise that we are not all knowledgeable as you.

I did mention that i was unable to update the firmware for my router not my satelites.

I also mentioned that i thought netgear support did keep their eye on these forums which i have seen on some forums but if i am wrong bad luck.

I have mentioned the message i get which again in case you missed it is tha is the firmware is incorrect for your router.

Once again i did mention that i had tried official channels to no avail.

As to the misleading subject gthis was due to problems getting through to xupport and uploading my invoice which again i mentioned.

I take not of trying to update firmware in small numbers

I thank you for your time but in vuture perhaps you might  like to read all my posts and you would see that all your fairly aggressive queries would have been explained

Over and out to this forum

Message 9 of 15

@nicksowerby wrote:

I thank you for your time but in vuture perhaps you might  like to read all my posts and you would see that all your fairly aggressive queries would have been explained

Over and out to this forum

I get the feeling that you don't actually want to fix this. Your latest message addresses none of the points I made in my previous reply.

I wanted to get at the reason why you cannot update the firmware. I asked some questions that would have helped us to understand what is happening. (I have spent many a happy hour playing around with Orbi firmware, often in beta tests that require unusual moves.)

Telling us:

every time I try to update manually I get the message that this firmware is incorrect for my orbi

does not explain which version of the firmware you are trying to install or how you are trying to do it. That is important information.

There are several way to update the firmware. We need to know how you are trying to do it, and what files you are trying to use.

I wonder if the issue is with the hardware model number that you have.

You say that the latest version of the firmware that you can find is Version 2.1.4.10. This dates back to last April and is not the latest version for the RBR40, the router that is included in the RBK33 bundle in tour "footer". That is Firmware Version 2.2.1.210.

You also say that your current version is 1.9.1.6.  I see no mention of that on the firmware page for your bundle

Orbi RBK33 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support

From this I conclude that either Netgear has pulled the original firmware, which is very rare, or that your hardware is something else. You haven't actually told us what the model number label on the bottom of your Orbi router says.

So, once again we are all left shooting in the dark, with inadequate information about your system.

There is a manual for the Orbi WiFi System somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

Look at that to see which model numbers Netgear makes and see which ties in with what you own.

A quick check on-line shows that the RBR20 and RBR50 also have no firmware  version 1.9.1.6.

This also might help.

How to update firmware on your NETGEAR product | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Maybe you have been there, done that, but your failure to provide meaningful information makes it hard to tell.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If your router is at a old version and won't upgrade, you need to upgrade to a intermediate version of FW. I saw with with my friends system I set up back in June. Would not upgrade to most current at that time for some reason, so I found a middle of the road version. Got the base router upgraded to that point, then the most current applied. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

I would use IE11 or FF browser for doing FW updates. 

If you can't seem to get the router upgraded at all, you'll need to contact NG support and have them help you with this. 

@Blanca_O

@nicksowerby wrote:

I have an orbi in AP mode at the front end of a Telstra Gateway NBN modem.

Having difficulties with disconnections as well as showing full connection but no internet.

I managed to contact someone in Netgear land who said that they would get someone to ring me to discuss my issues. Nothing has happened there.

Got onto my netgear portal and after some search found out that I had to upload my purchase invoice. Try as I could I was unable to only getting blank pages where I clicked

indicating the area to upload to.

So back to contact netgear, first person told me I had an incorrect number but gave me another number to ring which after a few robotic responses hung up on me/

Now I might be a bit slow but the netgear website is very difficuly to actually drill down to0 something that might help.

So can anyone explain to me how to upload my invoice and please dont repeat the netgear mantra because blank pages dont work for me.

Cheers

Forgot to mention in all this my orbi shows a firmware of 1.9.1.6 whereas the latest is 2.1.4.10 however every time I try to update manually I get the message that this firmware is incorrect for my orbi

Message 11 of 15
nicksowerby
Aspirant

An excellent response. Thank you.

Eventually worked out that microsoft edge and google were the problems and only ie allowed me to update my invoice to netgear.

Following your information i changed orbi 2.4 to channel 1 and five to 40, had the orbi in ap mode and all worked well.

However i was concerned about the very old firmare so got hold of netgear help and after an hour of stuffing around with manual updates got the orbi to update to the next firmware up then it would not update any more. The decision was that there was a hardware issue and they are replacing the router. Should be here today hopefully.

Without wanting to cause any further problems by my lack of knowledge about protocols on this forum i thank you for cutting through all my information and supply straigh easy to understand information without complaing about my supplying of apparent poor information. My orbi model is in the subject.!!

Cheers to you furry e38

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If your new unit has old FW on it. Besure to do same process. Update the Satellite first then the router last. 

Good Luck. 

Message 13 of 15
nicksowerby
Aspirant

Thanks for your excellent help.

I received the new orbi and satelites set them up one needed sotware update then noticed router had same old hardware as the other one. So manual update one firmware at a time when up came new firmware available something that hadnt come up on the old one. Clicked on the link and it upgraded to the latest. Great relief as it was time consuming updating one firmware at a time.

So all working well with the preferences mentioned by you. I kept the daisy chaining on which seems to work but kept mmu broadforming etc off as my house is not that large.

Only difference is that i kept my 2.4wifi on my modem going on a different channel to the orbi 2.4. This was because some of my peripherals were difficult to connect to the orbi, kept seeing the 5g. But all works great with no interference indicated by various wifi app checkers i have.

Cheers

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos