Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How would you suggest I add another router to my Orbi system so I can have satellite ethernet port?

MacFan22
Aspirant

How would you suggest I add another router to my Orbi system so I can have satellite ethernet port?

I bought the Orbi system which has been working very well. I have a tivo mini in my bedroom the requires a wired ethernet port. Neither the satellite nor the main router is in the bedroom.

So, two questions:

1) can I just add a cheaper netgear router in my bedroom to join the orbi network so I can add an ethernet port fo rmy tivo to plug into?

2) Which netgear device would you recommend? I need something the transmits very quickly as Tivo demands lots of bandwidth.

Thank you in advance!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Re: How would you suggest I add another router to my Orbi system so I can have satellite ethernet po

i would suggest you look at power line technology ( aka EOP ) to solve the connect from the mini to the router

see

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Message 2 of 6
MacFan22
Aspirant

Re: How would you suggest I add another router to my Orbi system so I can have satellite ethernet po

Thank you - I haven't had the best luck in powerline adapters in the past. The speed is significantly degraded into my bedroom and turns out to be far less than my non powerline wifi speeds.

Other thoughts?

Message 3 of 6
Texas22Step
Initiate

If you have coax cable running into the room already (as many homes do), you can try MOCA network adaptors.  Netgear's version of this is at https://www.netgear.com/support/product/mca1001v2.aspx, but there are lots of other MOCA adaptors out there too.  I know that DISH Network uses MOCA to network their set top boxes in residential environments, so there should be plenty of bandwidth to meet your TIVO's needs (Netgear says their box maxes out at 175 Mbps -- see http://kb.netgear.com/20084/MCA1001v2-FAQs.)

Message 4 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

As Texas22Step says, MOCA will probably work just fine for your Tivo.  An alternative, and for the fastest speeds (in the future), is to use an AC wireless access point.  Do you have an older AC or wireless-N router that you replaced with the Orbi?  If so you can configured it to be a wireless access point for your Tivo.  That's what I did with my previous Netgear router.

Message 5 of 6
MacFan22
Aspirant

Thank you
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7