Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I'VE JUST ABOUT HAD IT....

rdawsoniii
Star

I'VE JUST ABOUT HAD IT....

I've had the RBK40 for about 10 days and have yet to go 24 hours without problems.  Constant disconnects.  I've reset to factory default 3 times.  I've updated to the newest firmware.  Power cycled.  I have to turn the router off, then on, almost hourly.  Orbilogin on my PC shows the satellite, but always in "config sys" for backhaul (except for about the first hour after a factory reset, when it is normal).  The orbi app on my ipad won't recognize the orbi system most of the time.  Ipad constantly disconnects.  DirecTV receiver constantly disconnects.  None of these ever reconnect on their own.  I always have to power the router off/on.  I've done multiple syncs of the satellite and router.  Always get a blue color, but an hour or so later...something disconnects.

I have followed all the suggestions for fixing.  Nothing works.  As I've said....10 days, constant disconnects, tried everything.

Tonight I am going to do my 4th factory reset.  I will give it a new network name and move the satellite closer (it is about 30 feet from the router right now, and downstairs).  If this doesn't work, this piece of junk is going back to Amazon and I'll get the google system instead.  This is absolutely ridiculous.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 34
tucsontico
Virtuoso

What type of environment is your system in, i.e., are you in an apartment building or a densely packed area with other WiFi signals competing with yours? Have you tried switching channels on both frequencies? I live in a semi-rural area with the closest neighbor 50 yards away. Even then when I did a WiFi signal search I discovered over 6 WiFi signals strong enough to possibly interfere. I simply found the least used channels and set my Orbi to those. Try channel 1 for 2.4 gHz and 48 for 5 gHz.

Moving the satellite is a good idea. I found that merely moving mine 6 feet closer solved a bunch of dropout issues. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 34
rdawsoniii
Star

I will give that a try.  I live in a residential neighborhood.  There are probably about 4-5 other wifi signals.

I already tried changing the 2.4 to channel 11, but that made things worse.  Maybe 1 and 48 will work. 

This is the last time I'm messing with it, though.  I cannot have a system that won't stay connected, and should not have to jump thru so many hoops to make this thing work.

However I will say...when it DOES work, it is fantastic.

Message 3 of 34
Retired_Member
Not applicable

what type of modem are you using?....AP mode?

Message 4 of 34
Little7
Aspirant

I had the same issue when I started using my RBK40. I first shut down the satellite and then saw that the connection was OK from the router.

I then restarted the satellite and still the disconnects were observed (while watching a movie on the apple TV I saw the link being broken).

I was at that time running Firmware Version 2.0.0.56.

I just upgraded to Firmware Version 2.1.2.18 one week ago and so far so stable.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 5 of 34
rdawsoniii
Star

Zyxel C1100Z from Century Link.  Yes, AP mode. Same modem I had with my last router.  I didn't change a thing.

Message 6 of 34
rdawsoniii
Star

Same firmware with me.  Neither version is stable, although with 2.1.2.18 the PC itself doesn't disconnect as often ("only" about 1-2 times per evening).

Message 7 of 34
Retired_Member
Not applicable

based on what I've read in the community posts, many folks have problems with the AP modem.  Not sure what to tell you other than perhaps get a different modem and let the Orbi router run as a straight router.  Good luck.

Message 8 of 34
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 9 of 34
rdawsoniii
Star

@Retired_Member wrote:

based on what I've read in the community posts, many folks have problems with the AP modem.  Not sure what to tell you other than perhaps get a different modem and let the Orbi router run as a straight router.  Good luck.

Thanks, but I am not buying a new modem.  I can plug a "regular" router into my modem and it works right off the bat, with no issues. I should not have to be an IT tech to make the Orbi work.  I'm glad others have no problems, but I do and am not happy.

I replaced my old router because it was getting old and did not cover my whole house.

If the above suggestions (other than buying a new modem, which is less than a year old) don't work tonight, the Orbi goes back tomorrow.

Message 10 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset been performed after the FW update then setup from scratch?

You can try this updated FW and see:

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/orbi.aspx#download

You need to factory reset the router and satellites after upgrading FW to this version.

Set manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channels on 5Ghz. 

I would disable MIMO, Daisy chain, and Fast Roaming.

Placement of satellite from router should be 30-40 feet minium from router to start.

I have a 40 series unit and use the v2.1.3.x FW and its working well.

What is the SqFt of your home. I have 1 router and 1 satellite in my 5000sqft home. 40ft disatance between them. Great coverage, range and performances.

@rdawsoniii wrote:

I've had the RBK40 for about 10 days and have yet to go 24 hours without problems.  Constant disconnects.  I've reset to factory default 3 times.  I've updated to the newest firmware.  Power cycled.  I have to turn the router off, then on, almost hourly.  Orbilogin on my PC shows the satellite, but always in "config sys" for backhaul (except for about the first hour after a factory reset, when it is normal).  The orbi app on my ipad won't recognize the orbi system most of the time.  Ipad constantly disconnects.  DirecTV receiver constantly disconnects.  None of these ever reconnect on their own.  I always have to power the router off/on.  I've done multiple syncs of the satellite and router.  Always get a blue color, but an hour or so later...something disconnects.

I have followed all the suggestions for fixing.  Nothing works.  As I've said....10 days, constant disconnects, tried everything.

Tonight I am going to do my 4th factory reset.  I will give it a new network name and move the satellite closer (it is about 30 feet from the router right now, and downstairs).  If this doesn't work, this piece of junk is going back to Amazon and I'll get the google system instead.  This is absolutely ridiculous.

Message 11 of 34
rdawsoniii
Star

Yes, I've set up from scratch (3 times!) since the FW update.  Satellite is between 30-40 feet.  Noted items disabled.

Square footage is around 1300.

I did change the 2.4 channel to 11 once, but it made things even worse.  I am going to try channel 1.  Not sure how to know which 5g channel is "unused".  Another poster suggested ch48.  Will try tonight.

I really hope this works, because, when it works, the Orbi is great.  I just can't be mucking with this multiple times a day. 

Message 12 of 34
rdawsoniii
Star

@Retired_Member wrote:

Sorry...I gave wrong info.  Wireless is turned off on my modem, and the Orbi is NOT in AP mode.

Message 13 of 34
Retired_Member
Not applicable

so I have to ask....which device (your modem/router or the Orbi) is handling the router functions?

Message 14 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

With a 1300sq ft home, you might not need a satallite. The router alone can cover this kind of size home if placed centerally.

Also disable Daisy Chain, MIMO and Fast Roaming to test.

AP mode suggestion:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Issue-with-2-1-3-4-in-AP-mode/m-p/1546189

@rdawsoniii wrote:

Yes, I've set up from scratch (3 times!) since the FW update.  Satellite is between 30-40 feet.  Noted items disabled.

Square footage is around 1300.

I did change the 2.4 channel to 11 once, but it made things even worse.  I am going to try channel 1.  Not sure how to know which 5g channel is "unused".  Another poster suggested ch48.  Will try tonight.

I really hope this works, because, when it works, the Orbi is great.  I just can't be mucking with this multiple times a day. 

Message 15 of 34
Wizec
Apprentice

I’ve been doing some long-haul testing of different settings, and the only setting change that has actually helped matters for me was disabling “Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence”, as suggested by @DarrenM

With that setting enabled, I get multiple disconnects per day. With that setting disabled, I’ve only had one disconnect in the last two weeks.

YMMV
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 16 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be a good a suggestion as well. This maybe needed if you have other neighboring wifi signals near by however.

Thanks for letting us know.

@Wizec wrote:
I’ve been doing some long-haul testing of different settings, and the only setting change that has actually helped matters for me was disabling “Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence”, as suggested by @DarrenM

With that setting enabled, I get multiple disconnects per day. With that setting disabled, I’ve only had one disconnect in the last two weeks.

YMMV

Message 17 of 34
rdawsoniii
Star

@Retired_Member wrote:

so I have to ask....which device (your modem/router or the Orbi) is handling the router functions?

The Orbi.  Wireless is turned off on the modem.  That is how I've always had it set up on my prior routers.

Message 18 of 34
Retired_Member
Not applicable

ok...I guess I don't understand.  Coming from your Internet wall connection (erthenet) which device is inline first?  Then what?

Message 19 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

ISP>Modem>OrbiRouter AP mode><devices?

Message 20 of 34
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

ISP>Modem>OrbiRouter AP mode><devices?

i thought they said they are NOT using the AP mode....and something about turning off the wifi at the modem/router...??

Message 21 of 34
rdawsoniii
Star

ISP>Modem (wireless mode turned off)>Orbi (in regular "router" mode, not AP as I mistakenly indicated earlier)>Devices

This is how I've always set things up.  I made no changes from my prior set up. 

Message 22 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a router built into the ISP modem or is the modem just a modem?

@rdawsoniii wrote:

ISP>Modem (wireless mode turned off)>Orbi (in regular "router" mode, not AP as I mistakenly indicated earlier)>Devices

Message 23 of 34
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Zyxel C1100Z is a dual fucntion device (modem/router)  

I believe to makie this work there are special setting in the Orbi which need to be addressed.

Message 24 of 34
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is there a router built into the ISP modem or is the modem just a modem?

@rdawsoniii wrote:

http://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/zyxel-c1100z.html

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7