Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I am appalled that there is NO GUEST NETWORK option for the new ORBI!

I am appalled that there is NO GUEST NETWORK option for the new ORBI!

I got a reply on my ticket from Netgear from Brian Expert ID 46378 saying, "With that being said, please be informed that the Orbi unit does not have a Guest network feature for the meantime. I believe it will be added on the next firmware release however there is no ETA yet. I do hope you understand."

I do not understand. It's 2016. Netgear produces a Wifi Router with no Guest Network option. C'mon, man!!!

Message 1 of 9

Re: I am appalled that there is NO GUEST NETWORK option for the new ORBI!

@This2ShallPass wrote:

I got a reply on my ticket from Netgear from Brian Expert ID 46378 saying, "With that being said, please be informed that the Orbi unit does not have a Guest network feature for the meantime. I believe it will be added on the next firmware release however there is no ETA yet. I do hope you understand."

I do not understand. It's 2016. Netgear produces a Wifi Router with no Guest Network option. C'mon, man!!!

appalled ? really

does it say anywhere on the orbi web site that it has guest wifi ? i dont think so

will it be added in the future , perhaps but no conformations or expectation as it was never a spec of the original design

always good to read the specs of the device before purchase as guest wifi is not a given

Message 2 of 9

Wow, I post in the community board and get my choice of words questioned. I didn't really need that - or the sarcasm, nor the caveat emptor reminder. On to more constructive stuff. I hope you can adopt a kinder approach as well, Petey.

Yes, I expected there to be a guest network. I purchased the unit on Amazon, and it appears that others feel the same way about the guest network, prompting a reply to someone else's feedback from Netgear Support that "the Guest network feature will be coming in the next maintenance release in November."

Message 3 of 9
DavidJ86
Aspirant

I am also disappointed that Netgear did not include the guest network. I had gotten so used to seeing it on my routers that I've been buying for the last several years which of all been netgear, that I did not look for it in the specs for the new one.    But it kind of is an expected item anymore, so I hope Netgear steps up to the plate and enables it in the firmware update soon, as I  got it for a new house, and am planning on having plenty of guests there.  It is especially important for kids with wifi-only tablets. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 9

hi

i cant tell you when of if the orbi will get guest network , yes its disapointing its not available but as suggested its not advertised or suggested that it is or will be available on the web site , there has been suggestion here that it may be available in the future but when at this stage there is no way of knowingand no indication from netgear thenmselves at this stage

pete

Message 5 of 9
Endorphine71
Apprentice

Whether or not the Guest Network capability was advertised, it is still sad that Netgear did such a crappy launch with this router.  I for one would also assume it would be a standard feature anymore on any decent router system.

I have had so many issues with the Orbi it will be going back next week.  I still have the main router freeze up every few days and have to keep the beamforming feature turned off just so my Nest Cams don't disconnect all the time.

Message 6 of 9

i would suggest you get a replacement orbi system and see if the same occours as here i do not have those issues at all

Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The firmware update v1.4.0.16 which is now available adds guest networking support.

Message 8 of 9
trib22
Aspirant

As @mdgm-ntgr notes, the latest Orbi firmware offers a guest network option. I updated my devices yesterday, and it's very apparent in the admin interface, and equally easy to set up.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7