Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I can’t seem to be able to upgrade my orbi firmware from 1.2.0.6 to the latest version manually

Hectorj
Tutor

I can’t seem to be able to upgrade my orbi firmware from 1.2.0.6 to the latest version manually

I’m trying to upgrade my orbi manually and automatically from 1.2.0.6. It doesn’t detect new firmware automatically. When I try the manual approach it says the firmware version is not compatible even though it says that the firmware is for the orbi rbk53 which is what I have. Pls help.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Hectorj
Tutor

Re: I can’t seem to be able to upgrade my orbi firmware from 1.2.0.6 to the latest version manually

After upgrading to an intermidiate firmware (1.11.0. 20) from 1.2.0.6, I was able to install the latest 2.2.1.210

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Pay close attention to the firmware files you are uploading to the router and satellites. There are two files.  There is one file for the router "RBR50" and a different file for the satellites "RBS50".  There is no firmware file for an RBK53.

If that's not your problem, you might need to upload intermediate versions of the software because version 1.2.0.6 is very old.  You might need to load 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5, etc. first.

Message 2 of 7
Hectorj
Tutor

Yes, I was aware there are 2 files: 1 for the router and 1 for the satellites.  I'll try the intermediate updates and see what happens later

Message 3 of 7
Hectorj
Tutor

After upgrading to an intermidiate firmware (1.11.0. 20) from 1.2.0.6, I was able to install the latest 2.2.1.210

Thanks!

Message 4 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Good!  Thanks for letting us know it worked.

Message 5 of 7
DickDuke
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

Good!  Thanks for letting us know it worked.

@st_shaw, The solution is great for those of us with some technical facility, but may be a bit too complicated for many of the home users in the target market.

i wonder if the wizards at Netgear could script this two step solution into something that the auto update feature could perform?

Message 6 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@DickDuke wrote:

@st_shaw, The solution is great for those of us with some technical facility, but may be a bit too complicated for many of the home users in the target market.

i wonder if the wizards at Netgear could script this two step solution into something that the auto update feature could perform?

Maybe NETGEAR could solve this, but I would think this is an infrequent case.  Auto updates have been enforced on Orbi since the beginning, so you have to wonder how this user ended up with such old firmware.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7