Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I cannot log into my advanced settings on my Orbo RBR50 .. i cant remember my username and password

Dcbyrne
Aspirant

I cannot log into my advanced settings on my Orbo RBR50 .. i cant remember my username and password

Good Morning.

I tried to log into the sytem using 192.168.1.1 and cannot get past the user name and password.  I have tried all the combinations i would have used when setting it up. After a few failed attempts it defaults to the 2 question verififcation of which i should easily know the answers to and yet even after i put in the correct answers i am still not permited to go beyond that point.  I have tried all the answers with both capital letters and without.  it doesnt give me the option to reset by email.... please help... i do not want to do a hard reset as i have my house connected to 30+ smart devices.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I cannot log into my advanced settings on my Orbo RBR50 .. i cant remember my username and passw

If you factory reset and setup from scratch, if you configure the same SSID name and password you currently use. Your 30+ devices will reconnect after you set this up after the reset. You won't have to touch them. At the very least, you may have to power cycle or reboot them is all, Something ive been doing for years with same SSID name and PW. All my wifi devices reconnect. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I cannot log into my advanced settings on my Orbo RBR50 .. i cant remember my username and passw

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Set up the same SSID name and PW and your devices will reconnect. 

Message 2 of 10
Dcbyrne
Aspirant

I was hoping there is a way to recover without resetting the orbi.  I have over 30 smart devices connected that will need to be reconnected.  Doesn't Netgear have the ability to reset without wiping the current router settings?

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Dcbyrne wrote:

I was hoping there is a way to recover without resetting the orbi.  I have over 30 smart devices connected that will need to be reconnected.  Doesn't Netgear have the ability to reset without wiping the current router settings?

When the "Password Recovery" option does not work, the only way to get access is the factory reset.  However, all is not lost.

If you configure the Orbi with exactly the same WiFi name and password that it had before, then all 30 devices will connect automatically.  What will be lost is any customizing that you may have done.  (which ranges from none at all, to "all 30 devices").

For example, some of us "assign" specific IP addresses to devices either (a) so that they always have the same IP address, or (b) to fullfill our desire for "order."  All of my IP cameras have IP addresses starting with 192.168.1.51.  My Smart Plugs start at 192.168.1.41.  My printer is at 192.168.1.4. etc. etc.  I also found the Attached Devices display annoying, so I went in and set the Device Name and Device Type for every device.  It doesn't affect how they function, but it just annoyed me.  People often change the "name" of their router, use a specific DNS service, set up VPN's, etc.

If you want or need to customize the settings, then Yes, it is a very tedious chore.  A good practice is to "Save the configuration" to your computer.  (Advanced Tab, Administration, Backup Settings.  That way, if you get locked out again, you can import the entire configuration at one time.

Message 4 of 10
Dcbyrne
Aspirant

Thank you so much... i do feel much better doing the reset based on what you just said.  I will set up the same WIFI name and Password.

SInce you have smart devices connected to your system perhaps you can give me some advice.  I am looking to get into the advanced settings so i can initiate Telenet.   I have 4 new devices that i am adding and they all operate on the 2.4ghz bandwidth.  I use telenet to "disable" the 5ghz channel for something like 3600 seconds (1 hr) to allow me enough time to make my connections to the new devices.  So my question is... How do you work around this issue?  Do you utilize Telenet the same way i do?

Thanks again,
Darren

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Dcbyrne wrote:

SInce you have smart devices connected to your system perhaps you can give me some advice.  I am looking to get into the advanced settings so i can initiate Telenet.   I have 4 new devices that i am adding and they all operate on the 2.4ghz bandwidth.  I use telenet to "disable" the 5ghz channel for something like 3600 seconds (1 hr) to allow me enough time to make my connections to the new devices.  So my question is... How do you work around this issue?  Do you utilize Telenet the same way i do?

To be honest, I use telnet on my Orbi almost every day, but I have never disabled the 5G radio in order to install smart devices.

Most devices that shout out, "MUST have 2.4G WiFi" mean only that the device contains only a 2.4G radio and if there is no 2.4G WiFi, the device cannot connect.  This is like saying, "Requires two AA batteries."  AAA batteries, C cells, D cells, watch batteries are no good.  ONLY AA batteries will fit.  I have installed smart plugs, IP cameras, and other gizmos simply by using the app.

There are some devices which have poorly written smartphone apps and cannot be set up if the smartphone is connected to a 5G channel.  In that case, I follow this practice:

• Access the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) using the admin credentials user "admin" and the Orbi router password (not the WiFi password)
  • Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
  • Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID on 5G Channel"
    This will not affect any devices which are currently attached to the Orbi at 5G.
  • On the smartphone settings, "forget" the Orbi WiFi
  • Search for WiFi networks and select the Orbi WiFi
  • Enter the WiF password and connect
  • At this point, open the IoT app and go through the steps
  • After the device is connected, reverse the steps
    Check the box "Broadcast SSID"
    "Forget Orbi WiFi"
    Search for and connect again.

The forum has a very long thread where users discuss how to "disable" the 5G radio.  I you really (really) need to go that route, then open http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm and check Enable Telnet. Then you can follow their directions.

Message 6 of 10
Dcbyrne
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your help and explanation!  I will do as you have instructed... fingers crossed lol

take care and have a great weekend!

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If you factory reset and setup from scratch, if you configure the same SSID name and password you currently use. Your 30+ devices will reconnect after you set this up after the reset. You won't have to touch them. At the very least, you may have to power cycle or reboot them is all, Something ive been doing for years with same SSID name and PW. All my wifi devices reconnect. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
Dcbyrne
Aspirant

It worked... thanks a lot!

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to make a back up configuratin to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7