Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I have a spare RBR50 lying around

AACTech1
Follower

I have a spare RBR50 lying around

I have a network setup consisting of an RBR50 in router mode that is performing DHCP. I have two RBS50 satellites connected wirelessly to this router in a school environment. I now have a spare RBR50 lying around that I'd like to add to the existing mesh network to improve the Wi-Fi because it's a large building. Can this RBR50 in AP mode act like a satellite and connect to the mesh network with no ethernet cables? If I push its sync button and the sync button on a satellite, will it connect? How about if I push its sync button and the sync button on the main router RBR50?

If it won't connect wirelessly, perhaps I could run an ethernet cable within the same room between the spare RBR50 in AP mode and one of the satellites. Will it work then?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Rodney

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

@AACTech1 wrote:

I have a network setup consisting of an RBR50 in router mode that is performing DHCP. I have two RBS50 satellites connected wirelessly to this router in a school environment. I now have a spare RBR50 lying around that I'd like to add to the existing mesh network to improve the Wi-Fi because it's a large building. Can this RBR50 in AP mode act like a satellite and connect to the mesh network with no ethernet cables? If I push its sync button and the sync button on a satellite, will it connect? How about if I push its sync button and the sync button on the main router RBR50?

If it won't connect wirelessly, perhaps I could run an ethernet cable within the same room between the spare RBR50 in AP mode and one of the satellites. Will it work then?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Rodney

No it will not work. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@AACTech1 wrote:

@Mstrbigis correct.  The spare RBR50 can never be used to extend the Orbi mesh.  Because it must be connected through the WAN (yellow) ethernet port, what can be done is to wire it to any part of the network (router, satellite, switch) and set it in access point (AP) mode.  This will create a new WiFi access point, just as if a WiFi access point from any vendor was attached to the system.

There are two "downsides" to this:

• Because of the requirement for ethernet connection, it may be impractical to place the RBR50 far enough away from the existing Orbi units to provide much "expansion".  Having it in the same room would usually result in them having totally overlapping radio coverage, which is actually worse rather than better.
  • Since it will not be part of the Orbi "mesh", devices will not switch automatically between this access point and the Orbi access points.  This leads to things like, "why is my phone suddenly running so slow?  Oh, yes.  I forgot to switch networks. Dagnabbit."

So, this expensive RBR50 is actually less useful than a $50 WiFi extender from almost any vendor (because of the need for ethernet connection).

Bummer.

Message 3 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

@AACTech1 wrote:

@Mstrbigis correct. 

So, this expensive RBR50 is actually less useful than a $50 WiFi extender from almost any vendor (because of the need for ethernet connection).

Bummer.

There's always the Satellite conversion hack. I've done it a few times.

I just don't like to mention it because of the possibility of the RBR50 getting bricked by a novice. But if it's a spare the owner doesn't want to sell it, it is an option. An internet search will bring up the procedure. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7