Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I have an Orbi rbr50 and an Orbi rbr20. Can I use it together and make the other one as a satellite

PiLYo1
Follower

I have an Orbi rbr50 and an Orbi rbr20. Can I use it together and make the other one as a satellite

I have an Orbi brb20 and an Orbi brb50. I would like to ask if its possbile to downgrade/use one router as a satellite? Which router should I retain as the main router? What are the pro's and con's? Thank in advance

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: I have an Orbi rbr50 and an Orbi rbr20. Can I use it together and make the other one as a satell

The RBR50 is a more powerful and capable device than the RBR20.  It has more ethernet ports, more memory, and has a (potentially) higher speed backhaul channel.

There is no supported method to convert an Orbi 'router' to a 'satellite'.  There are posts (mostly in reddit) which talk about methods to do so, which I take with a whole shaker full of salt.  Maybe it works..... and maybe it 'bricks' the Orbi.  There was a post just recently about a user who tried this and is now 'stuck':

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Convert-RBR40-to-RBS40-stuck/m-p/2092790#M120255 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7