Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I'm I correct that the RBK50 does not include a modem?

tdcarp
Aspirant

I'm I correct that the RBK50 does not include a modem?

I going to replace a Netgear ORBI CBR40 with a couple Netgear EX6100 extenders.  Although mesh is probably overkill for us, I looked at the RBK50 mesh router/extender.  The CBR40 was a modem/router.  Is the RBK50 just a router, meaning I'll need to get a modem?  If so, is there anything to consider re: the modem selection?

I also noticed that the RBK50 was not in the pull-down list of devices for this post.  It appears the closest in name is the RBR50.  Is there a reason why the RBK50 isn't listed?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
tdcarp
Aspirant

Re: I'm I correct that the RBK50 does not include a modem?

Sorry about the type.  The Subject should be "Am I correct..."

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I'm I correct that the RBK50 does not include a modem?

Is the CBR40 not working for you? 

Any RBR or RBK model does NOT have a built in modem and relies on connecting to a ISP service modem/ONT or other ethernet connection providing internet services. 

The CBR40 can work as a modem only. 

The CBR40 can still be used as a modem only or in router mode and add a RBS20 or RBS40v to it for additional coverage for better coverage and freature operation. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected

https://kb.netgear.com/000038220/What-are-the-hardware-specifications-of-the-available-Orbi-WiFi-Sys...

RBK50 and RBR50 are the same series. RB(K) is the kit version which has a RB(R)50 router and and RB(S)50 satellite in the box. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7