Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I'm in Orbi hell

Orbi_hell
Aspirant

I'm in Orbi hell

I know I should probably just sit quietly on the sidelines and read all the other tales of woe, and add a ++metoo to the thread. But I'm honestly staggered by how badly I'm let down. 

I bought a RBR50 and RBS50 about 1.5 months ago. Since then, I've upgraded firmware twice, downgraded it once, changed the network toplogy (maybe it doesn't want to be a router, maybe it likes being an AP only?), changed network cables, upgraded my cable modem (maybe it doesn't like the thing it's connected to?) and rebooted the system... at least 50 times.

There is a concept of "fit for purpose" - and based on my experience and that of others as I read this community, this product does not meet that bar.  What a waste of time, effort and money.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

How exactly is your Orbi NOT working? Wired or Wireless problems? Both?

Did you check to see how many wifi neighbors you have near by?

Did you disable any of the following? Beamforming, MiMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming?

Did you try to set manual channels on each radio?

What mfr and model# modem do you have?

What devices did you have connected?

When you upgraded or downgraded FW, did you factory reset after sending the FW files and the set up from scratch?

Message 2 of 18
Orbi_hell
Aspirant

How exactly is your Orbi NOT working? Wired or Wireless problems? Both?

>> Wireless. I don't have any wired devices connected to the Orbi. The device becomes unresponsive at least once a day. WiFi signal shows strong, but I can't address the orbi through app or web interfaces, and Internet doesn't work. One or two power cycles usually fixes it for a while.

Did you check to see how many wifi neighbors you have near by?

>> I live in a city. I can see 10 wifi SSIDs right now that aren't in my house.

Did you disable any of the following? Beamforming, MiMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming?

>> All disabled. 

Did you try to set manual channels on each radio?

>> I've done that, but honestly, there are a lot of channels, and a-b testing them all is outside my patience. None of the ones I've selected after doing a mini survey of neighboring signals has had any effect.

What mfr and model# modem do you have?

>> Hitron 2250

What devices did you have connected?

>> Windows PC, Macbook Pro, 2x iPhone, Nest thermo, Samsung printer, Apple TV, xbone, iPad pro, LG Tv, Macbook Air, 2x iHome WiFi speakers, Apple Time Capsule

When you upgraded or downgraded FW, did you factory reset after sending the FW files and the set up from scratch?

>> Yes, on several occasions. While I referenced upgrading and downgrading, it doesn't coun't the times I reset from scratch with x.x.1? and x.x.x.18. Couldn't be bothered to do that the last time when I went to 2.0.1.4 after downgrading. 

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, couple items I see,

What channels are your neighbors using the most of? 1, 6 or 11? Who's using channels on the 5ghz radio?

Try this, there is a power setting on the orbi, it's set for high, try setting for medium. You may have to move the Satellite closer. I would disable the Satellite tempariarily to see if the Orbi router alone stops working or not.

Your modem is a gateway modem if this is the one you have:

http://www.hitron-americas.com/product/cgnm-2250/

It's recommended to set this to transparent brige mode and disable any wifi here, or if it can't be bridged, use it's DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Disable any WiFi and uPnP here on the modem.

Are you now using v2.0.1.4 on the router? I would do one more factory reset and test with some of the suggestions above including the ones previously mentioned.

What is the Mfr date on the router? 2016 or 2017?

Message 4 of 18
Orbi_hell
Aspirant

I'm deeply appreciative of the time you're taking. The Hitron has no WiFi enabled, and the port connecting to the Orbi is in "passthrough" mode, which is effectively the same thing as bridging (passthrough is a customer-available setting, bridge requires the ISP to reconfigure and they are reluctant to do this as it can cause confusion for support and troubleshooting apparently. They recommended using passthrough when I called about that moons ago.

I have, as previously noted, examined the channels of my neighbors and tried to avoid them, but that didn't have any impact. Lowering the power setting seems counter-intuitive, and the whole reason for the orbis was to saturate the house more. Even now, my signal is -56db (44%). The closest neighbor is -84db and on different channels. 

Moving the satellite closer is not an option.

Disabling the satellite is a worthwhile test, but if it is the solution, I'm sort of losing the Orbi advantage, no?

I'll do another factory reset.

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree that reducing the power can and will reduce the range, however this is a troubleshooting step along with not using the Satellite. You can go back to High after checking this out of course.

What is the distance between the router and the Satellite. Mines 40ft est. Satellites shouldn't be too close or too far either.

Trying to see if trying some of these steps can help identify where the issue maybe.

Mines currently set for Auto on 2.4Ghz and manual channel 48 using WPA2 and AES only. I only have Beamforming enabled, all others are disabled. You can certainly try this as well. IPv6 is also disabled.

What is the Mfr date on the router? 2016 or 2017?

Something you might review and try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-firmware-2-1-2-18-update-issues/m-p/1532931/highlight...

Message 6 of 18
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

None of this is relevant. The problem is the Orbi firmware and you can’t fix it by tweaking. Hang in there for 2.2 in a week or so.

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Could be HW as well. Lets see what is results are first.

Message 8 of 18
mcgunnerthegru1
Aspirant

You appear to have some knowledge of the ORBI. I have an RBR40 with satellite. I also have R8000 Nighthawk X6. I want to run my desktop off my R8000 and everything else (iPad, TV, laptop, phone,and roommates iPad, etc) off my RBR40. If I understand your earlier response I need to be sure which unit goes first in the setup. Cable from wall to modem, modem to RBR40, RBR40 to R8000. Is that correct? Is there any other things I need to do?

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you wanting to use the R8000 as a wired LAN to LAN 2ndary wireless AP in a remote location?

How big is your home? Sq Ft?

Just curious, what is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

@mcgunnerthegru1wrote:

You appear to have some knowledge of the ORBI. I have an RBR40 with satellite. I also have R8000 Nighthawk X6. I want to run my desktop off my R8000 and everything else (iPad, TV, laptop, phone,and roommates iPad, etc) off my RBR40. If I understand your earlier response I need to be sure which unit goes first in the setup. Cable from wall to modem, modem to RBR40, RBR40 to R8000. Is that correct? Is there any other things I need to do?

Message 10 of 18
mcgunnerthegru1
Aspirant

Are you wanting to use the R8000 as a wired LAN to LAN 2ndary wireless AP in a remote location? Yes.

How big is your home? Sq Ft? 2400 sq ft

Just curious, what is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? It is an ARRIS Surfboard SB6183

Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can, You would need to ensure the channels on each radio between the Orbi router and R8000 are different and far appart.You would put the R8000 in AP mode and connect it up LAN to LAN.

Your Sq Ft size of house should already be covered by your Orbi system though. I have a 5000sq ft house and my Orbi and 1 Satellite covers the entire house in some out side. Coverage, Range and performances are steller for me. Distance between Router and Satellite is about 40 feet.

I wouldn't think you would need the R8000 in addition to the orbi router in your size house. Unless yours is built of concrete and steel.

Message 12 of 18
mcgunnerthegru1
Aspirant

I have had the R8000 for some time now with my desktop and it primarily is used with wired color laser printer and other devices. I got the ORBI to give me a wider area of use, such as outdoors and such. Also to give my neighbor a backup if his router goes down. Right now I have the computer going to the R8000 and then wired to the ORBI which seems to work somewhat. I just want to make sure I have considered all my options.

Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, well, for AP mode configuration, yes, use LAN to LAN AP mode on the R8000 connected to the Orbi router. Just set the Orbi routers wifi channes to manual 11 on 2.4Ghz and 36 or 48 on 5Ghz, then set the R8000 to channel 1 on 2.Ghz and 149 on 5Ghz.

You can try using same SSID and PW for both Orbi and R8000. You might seen some roaming issues. Something you would have to test out. If you see some odd behavior, change the SSID on the R8000 to something else on both radios and try again.

Message 14 of 18
mcgunnerthegru1
Aspirant

Thanks. I will give your suggestions a try and see what happens. Will update you on results. Again thanks.

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 16 of 18
jdubwebdev
Aspirant

Hi there. I know your pain, I registered just to post this.

I know it seems counterintuitive to decrease the power settings, but I was previously suffering in "Orbi Hell" too and that was one of the things that ended up giving me decent stability.

I have a similar sized home, which the Orbi is apparently overkill for, but a single router wasn't good enough either. I had total dead spots at one end of my home with my last AC router, but the Orbi just blasts through it all like it was nothing.

I tried all sorts of things, what finally made a noticeable impact were the combination of these three things:

- setting up different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz (this must be done on both the router AND the satellite via telnet.)
- setting static IP for the satellite
- decrease the 5ghz broadcast to 75% and the 2.4ghz broadcast to 50%.

I am running V2.1.2.18 on RBK50 with ethernet backhaul. It really finally works fine, after months of frustration. I'm scared that their new version is going to mess it up for me when they fix it for everyone else.

All previous versions were awful for stability, with 1.11.0.20 being the least awful but having other issues making it undesirable.

Good luck!

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

The first wave to be released are only for the RBR50 and RBS50, which is used in the RBK50 and RBK53 (Costco) kits.
New beta FW avaialble. Get it while its hot of the press:

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7