Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I need to get wifi to an outbuilding 200 feet away from my rbr50 router.

tsg67a
Aspirant

I need to get wifi to an outbuilding 200 feet away from my rbr50 router.

I have an RBR50 router and a RBS50 Satellite. The Satellite gets me about 50 feet of forward coverage and it is currently placed 50 feet from the router. The 2 units together get me 100 feet out from the router (half way to the outbuilding). Neither the router or the satellite have any coax output ports so I can't use a direction wifi antenna to focus a wifi signal to the building. I can't find an adapter that takes an ethernet in and produces a coax out which would allow me to use a directional wifi antenna. If I buy a RBS50Y and put it 50 feet towards the building (where the RBS50 is now), will it cover 150 feet forward to reach my metal skinned outbuilding? I'm trying to reach a Roku stick in the outbuilding. The RBS50Y claims 2500 square feet of extension, what does that equate to in number of feet straight line forward?

Message 1 of 5
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: I need to get wifi to an outbuilding 200 feet away from my rbr50 router.

Can you string a Cat 6 ethernet cable from the router (base) to the building and place the satellite there in the building? It can go 100 meters or 328 ft. max, but well within the distance you need to go.

Message 2 of 5
tsg67a
Aspirant

I could string ethernet 200 feet but lots of sidewalks in the path so it would be a labor intensive solution.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I would review this product if you need extended disatances:

https://www.netgear.com/business/wifi/wireless-bridges

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

200ft to a metal skinned building. There are only two reasonable solutions:

• A physical ethernet cable (max 328ft.) which as you have discovered can be difficult to install. (and costly if you pay someone to do it).
  • An ethernet bridge, which appears to the devices on each end as an ethernet cable.
    Search for "WiFi bridge" on Amazon.  Products range from the $40 TP-Link N300 to several hundred dollars.
    https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-CPE210-300Mbps-dual-polarized-directional/dp/B00P4JKQGK/ref=sxin_9?as... 
    People have reported success with a variety of brands.  I'm just horribly conservative, but my preference is to look for "established companies" such as TP-Linl, D-Link, Netgear, or Ubiquiti.  At least with several hundred product reviews.
  • The unit on the "house end" probably can be installed indoors and will penetrate an ordinate house wall easily.  The unit on the far end may need to be mounted outside that metal shell.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7