Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I want to work from another country and show that I am working from USA

brightpuppy
Aspirant

I want to work from another country and show that I am working from USA

I want to work from another country and show that I am working from USA temporarily for 2 weeks. Can I achieve it using VPN?

My router model is RBK30  AC2200 ORBI 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: I want to work from another country and show that I am working from USA

Yes.  Orbi supports OpenVPN host mode (in the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings).  That allows a device on the internet to connect to the Orbi LAN and appear to be a device on the Orbi. There is a Knowledgebase article explaining how to do it:

https://kb.netgear.com/31487/How-do-I-use-VPN-service-on-my-Orbi-system-with-my-Windows-client 

Message 2 of 8
brightpuppy
Aspirant

Thanks for your quick response and it is highly appreciated. 

On reviewing the shared document, appears that I have to download the OpenVPN client utility. As I cannot download any software on my work laptop, is there any other workaround to achieve this functionality?.

I will try to update the above detail on my post if possible. Thanks

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

My first thought is to load the OpenVPN app on a smartphone and use the smartphone to create a Hot Spot which the laptop can connect to.

So...

• Smartphone connects to internet in remote country
  • Smartphone creates VPN tunnel to Orbi
  • Smartphone creates WiFi Hot Spot
  • Laptop connects to Hot Spot

This sounds suspiciously like, "I want my employer to think I am working from home, but I am actually out of the country on vacation."

If the employer wanted to facilitate working from another country, adding software to the laptop would be a task assigned to the employers IT staff.

Anyway..... Good Luck.

Message 4 of 8
brightpuppy
Aspirant

Thanks @CrimpOn for your guidance. This seems to be a good idea. However, I do not know how to configure the OpenVPN app. I just downloaded in android phone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

WHEN OPENVPN is configured on the Orbi router, it creates parameter files for Windows, Mac's, and smartphones. That files has to be downloaded to the phone and then selected by the OPENVPN app.

You are right to plan ahead and get it to work (repeatedly) before going.
Message 6 of 8
brightpuppy
Aspirant

@CrimpOn Thanks for your suggestions.

Can I convert ORBI RBK30 AC2200 as a VPN Server?

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

As far as I am aware, every Netgear Orbi router has the same OpenVPN option in the 'Advanced Setup'.  The process is a bit tricky. (I have memories of a lot of membling and swearing.)

OpenVPN is a two-step process.

Most customers have IP addresses that can change over time, so Step 1 is to set up a Dynamic DNS name on the DDNS menu. I did not realize at the time that a "free" No-IP account had to be used at least once a month or it would disappear.  Rather than fight it, I paid the $24.95/year.

Step 2 is to set up OpenVPN, using the DDNS entry as one of the parameters.  I took all the defaults.

Orbi produces configuration files for Windows computers, 'non-Windows' (Linux), and smartphones.  I downloaded all three parameter files to my PC and printed out the instructions for each.

The 'fun part' is testing whether it works or not.

Loaded OpenVPN for Android on my phone.  Emailed the configuration file to my self and downloaded it to the phone.  Put the phone on LTE data. Opened OpenVPN. Imported the configuration. and "presto".

Loaded OpenVPN on a Windows laptop.  This time, set the phone up as a Hot Spot, connected the laptop to the phone, opened OpenVPN, imported configuration, etc.  (much swearing... but it works now)

Linux laptop has OpenVPN built in. Did the same thing.

The Big Difference I see is that I can load whatever software I want on my devices.  OpenVPN would have worked from a coffee shop, library, etc. etc.  I never tried the combination of Hot Spot/OpenVPN on the phone and then connect the laptop.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7