Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IP address not assigned

DrSeuss
Aspirant

IP address not assigned

When it works, I really like it.  Unfortunately every 2-7 days it stops communicating with the Xfinity cable modem.  Then nothing.  I've had to d a factory reset every time to get it up and running again.  I spent an hour waiting for Netgear support by phone, but at least had time to do the factory reset and linking the satellites while on hold.  They walked me through a couple of setting tweaks, but it has failed 2 more times since then.   Is there a solution to this?  It seems like several others have had similar issues, but it doesn't seem widespread enough to cause the ratings of the system to be hit hard enough for Netgear to address the issue.  On another note the firmware for my Netgear Readynas pro bricked it too and now I have to find time to mess around with trying to salvage 18Tb of data.  Synology?  Buffalo?  Cisco?  Any other suggestions?  Any decent mesh systems out there?  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem? Built in router here by chance?

Do you have access to the routers web page and status when this happens?

What FW version are you using currently on the Orbi?

Swap out LAN cable between ISP modem and router to be sure. Use good quality Cat6 cable, shortest length possible.

Do you see any similar problems if you by pass the Orbi and connect a PC directly to the modem?

Message 2 of 6
DrSeuss
Aspirant

Cisco DPC3941T.  I think  that it has a built in router. 
Should I use the Orbi as an access point?

Access to the Orbi's front page?  Not through the app.  I can try when it fails again through orbilogin.com.  I don't remember if I tried that.

Yes the FW is up to date.  2.1.4.10. I can't update the app version because it is not "compatible with my device"  Samsung Galaxy Tab S2.

Cat cable not the issue.  It works great then after a varying amount of time the satellites show the magenta ring, the Orbi no longer has an IP address.and the mesh system is down.  It can work for a week and then locks up. 

Orbi router power down does nothing.  I have to end up with a factory reset and then it works great again, until it doesn't.   

I have connection through the Cisco when the Orbi has locked up.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes your ISP modem is a wireless gateway:

https://www.cnet.com/products/cisco-model-dpc3941t-docsis-3-0-24x4-wireless-residential-voice-gatewa...

Recommendations for Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 4 of 6
DrSeuss
Aspirant

OK switched Cisco to bridge mode.  Will try that.   Won't know for a week or so, but I'm hopeful that this will keep the orbi from losing the IP address. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this modem a rental from the ISP or something you own? Be aware that CC may make changes to there modem if it's a rental so if something happens and the modem is changed, just keep this in mind. Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7