Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ISP latecy + Orby

CharlieB23
Aspirant

ISP latecy + Orby

Hi, how are you?

This is my first post here. Ready to buy a new Orbi mesh system and I have a huge doubt, hope you can help me with your feedback. At the end, the question is easy: Do I buy a new cable modem or not? Thank you in advance for read this. My situation: I have a very old modem (Arris Tg 862a ) provided by my ISP Megacable in Mexico. I have 20mb plan. The modem is only 2.4ghz and many features are missing. According to my speed and latency tests, it looks like that when I use the ethernet cable to my computer, I recah 18/19 all times and 5mb upload... Which is great! But when I connect a NordVPN server or I connect via wifi, the speed drop up tp 2mb, sometimes very close to the modem. And It's always changing.

If I get an Orbi RBK23, connected via ethernet at the old modem, I'll still see a low speed and bad latency on the new Orbi Wifi network? Or once I connect the ethernet to the Orbi, it will be magic and keep the speed around 15-18 Mb average?

My big question is this. Is necessary to purchase an extra "modern" cable to optimize the Orbi system? Ot it doesn't make sense? Do my very old modem will alter in a bad way my Orbi Network performance? If I get a new modem, I would probably go for this: NetGear CM1000-1AZNAS . Is this necessary? If I get the 15mb average wifi all around my 2,000sqft two floor house, I'm super happy. Until the next ISP upgrade, which It's no possible right now. But because I'm a newbie of wifi networks and complex settings, I don't want to spend $300 for a Orbi for nothing. Hope to hear from you!

Thank you in advance for your time. Happy new year for all of you!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ISP latecy + Orby

If you decide to install a new cable modem, it must be one that is approved by your cable system.  There should be a MegaCable web page that lists approved modems.  Honestly, the modem is capable of much higher speed than your current service.  I would hold off on replacing it.

The Arris is capable of providing telephone service.  Do you get telephone service from MegaCable?  If so, that dramatically limits your choices.

An Orbi system should cover your house with both 2.4G and 5G WiFi and you should not notice a speed drop.  The biggest issue I see is that you already have one router.  It is not a good idea to put one router behind another.  So, either the Orbi has to be put into Access Point (AP) mode, or the Arris has to be put into "bridge" or "passthrough" mode so that it is "only a modem" and no longer a router.  I have no idea if MegaCable will help you do that, or even allow you to do that.  So, AP mode is the "easy fix."

I have no experience with NordVPN.  I know that it cannot be placed on the Orbi product.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

If you decide to install a new cable modem, it must be one that is approved by your cable system.  There should be a MegaCable web page that lists approved modems.  Honestly, the modem is capable of much higher speed than your current service.  I would hold off on replacing it.

The Arris is capable of providing telephone service.  Do you get telephone service from MegaCable?  If so, that dramatically limits your choices.

An Orbi system should cover your house with both 2.4G and 5G WiFi and you should not notice a speed drop.  The biggest issue I see is that you already have one router.  It is not a good idea to put one router behind another.  So, either the Orbi has to be put into Access Point (AP) mode, or the Arris has to be put into "bridge" or "passthrough" mode so that it is "only a modem" and no longer a router.  I have no idea if MegaCable will help you do that, or even allow you to do that.  So, AP mode is the "easy fix."

I have no experience with NordVPN.  I know that it cannot be placed on the Orbi product.

Message 2 of 5
CharlieB23
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn,

Thank you so much for take the time to answer me. My plan included phone as well, but I'm willing to loose it for a great and better solid Wifi network.

I'll google tomorrow what is an AP and I will do it. Thank you so much.

As newbie of this world, my idea was (if I don't change modem) leave everyhting as it is right now. Once I'll get the Obi system (one router plus two satelites, the RBK23), I'll conncet the Obi router via ethernet at the old modem, a create a new SSD network using the router and the two satelites. Am I right? In this way, I undesratnd that the Arris modem is a bridge betwenn my iSP and the first Obi devcie, am I right? 

The point is ... is enough my modem to create a great Mesh Wifi using Orbi? Not sure you confirm that.

Thanks again, loking for your next answer before the purchase, I appreciate it!

Good night,

D.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I am pretty confident that the Arris modem is not the problem.  Having a internet connection that provides 18-19mb download is not enough to be "great".  I very much doubt that movie streaming in HD will be successful.

One benefit of your plan is that you can always "go back".  i.e. unplug the Orbi and you still have the Arris system.  It would be worthwhile to learn how to disable the WiFi on the Arris so that it does not compete with the Orbi.  Just personally, I would give the Orbi the exact same SSID and password as the Arris WiFi so that all devices will connect to whichever of them is broadcasting at the time.  (But, only one of them active at a time.)

Goood Luck

Message 4 of 5
CharlieB23
Aspirant

You got it. Perfectly understood. I appreciate it. Thank you so much for your time and patience. I'm ready now for the purchase 🙂

Have a great day and good vibes,

D.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7