Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ISP said needed an N router

ldehoyos208
Aspirant

ISP said needed an N router

Due to rural area, I am now using Blazing Hog Internet and was told that I needed to get a N type router.  I purchased a Orbi 2200 which I was tod supported N and AC.Does it make a difference and is there a way to switch in between as I am having a hard time utilizing the wifi capability on my new Orbi?

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6

@ldehoyos208 wrote:

Due to rural area, I am now using Blazing Hog Internet and was told that I needed to get a N type router. 

N type is an old wifi standard.

Orbi 2200 isn't a Netgear model number, so it is hard to know where to point  for the details, but a typical "Data sheet" will say something like: "IEEER 802.11a/b/g/n/ac".

See the "n" and "ac" in there?

All newer devices are "backward compatible" with anything you own that needs N type.

But it is hard to see how the wifi standard you use enters the picture for your Internet service provider. How does it deliver the Internet?

Whatever router you buy, you will need a modem to get whatever technology Blazing Hog uses to deliver your Internet.

Searching for Blazing Hog Internet just leads to a page that looks like a scam.

@ldehoyos208 wrote:

Does it make a difference and is there a way to switch in between as I am having a hard time utilizing the wifi capability on my new Orbi?

You don't need to switch between them. They happen side by side.

What "hard time" are you having?

Message 2 of 6
ekhalil
Master

802.11n or Wireless N supports a max of 300 Mbps throughput.
Orbi RBR20 or RBR40 (AC2200) -which I believe you’re referring to- supports up to 866 Mbps for 802.11AC fronthaul links and 400 Mbps for 802.11n fronthaul links.
By saying that your ISP specifies 802.11n as a requirement, I understand that the data rates that you get from your ISP will never be more than 300 Mbps, right?
If so then Orbi supports higher throughput that what your ISP requires.
Message 3 of 6
ldehoyos208
Aspirant

Very slow connectivity. When I signed up for the service I was informed their service was 5 times faster than a mobile hotspot.  I attempted to connect to their service and it was so slow that none of my work applications worked. 

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What ISP service company are you signed up with? 

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What wireless devices are you connecting to the Orbi? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@ldehoyos208 wrote:

Very slow connectivity. When I signed up for the service I was informed their service was 5 times faster than a mobile hotspot.  I attempted to connect to their service and it was so slow that none of my work applications worked. 

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@ldehoyos208 wrote:

Very slow connectivity. When I signed up for the service I was informed their service was 5 times faster than a mobile hotspot.  

Blazing Hog's web site is pretty clear that it IS an LTE hotspot.  What the web site claims is that this is faster than typical old style DSL.  (which I agree)

p.s. I, also, clicked on a "Blazing Hog" link that led to a goofy web site, before find the actual company site.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7