Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ISP speeds

Kimreichelt1
Tutor

ISP speeds

I have 1.2gbps service from comcast. Will my RBK753 router handle this speed? What is the max speed it can handle? (I have a CM1200 router)
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes. It appears that both the CM1200 modem and the RBK750 router support "Link Aggregation" which provides more than gigabit speed between modem and router.  Check the User Manuals for modem and router:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/cm1200.aspx#docs 

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBK752_UM_EN.pdf 

search for "Link Aggregation".

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the "AX" Orbi products.  It is more likely that someone who owns the CM1200 or RBR750 will notice a post in that forum than in this one.  The AX forum is here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

Message 2 of 10
Kimreichelt1
Tutor

No, that is not my question.
My question is, what is the maximum speed tier form my ISP that my RBK753 can support.
In other words, I have 1.2gbps service from comcast. Will my equipment support this speed?
Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

@CrimpOn did answer the question. wan link aggregation supports speeds of up to 2gbps. Whether your wireless devices can support that speed is another matter. Usually at these speeds the bottleneck is the wireless devices and not the router. 

Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemans wrote:

@CrimpOn did answer the question. wan link aggregation supports speeds of up to 2gbps. Whether your wireless devices can support that speed is another matter. Usually at these speeds the bottleneck is the wireless devices and not the router. 

Well, sort of.  These two products together advertise a total maximum capacity of 2gbps by combining two gigabit links.  Whether the router is actually capable of processing 1.2gbs of traffic through the router to devices under real world conditions depends on many (many) factors, such as how devices are connected (WiFi vs. ethernet), how many are connected through the satellite WiFi backhaul, etc.  That is why I suggested posting the question in the AX product forum. There is a chance that some customer has already signed up for 1.2gbs service and conducted experiments to validate the claim.

One obstacle comes to mind immediately.  When people discuss the ability of the older Orbi products to handle gigabit service, they usually connect a computer directly to the modem for comparison.  I am not aware of computers with multiple gigabit ethernet ports that support link aggregation.  If they exist, I doubt very many peope have them.

Message 5 of 10
Kimreichelt1
Tutor

I received an email from comcast that my internet tier has been increased from 1gig to 1.2 gig, however my speed stayed put at about 940-950gbps. I thought that perhaps the rbk753 was at it's limit with 1gig.
Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

are you sure it wasn't a TB? 

Comcast increased their data cap from 1 TB to 1.2TB

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

Plus its tough to test a 1.2gb connection. 

I have a setup currently that allows it but if you're using the RBK and using wan port aggregation, you're already using the max wireless connection. About the only way to hit 1.2gig is to saturate the wired line while testing wireless on another device. 

I've done that with my arris AX11000 (wan port aggreation is its max connection). I managed to hit around 1.18gig

Message 8 of 10
Kimreichelt1
Tutor

I'm sure. Here is the email text.
We're excited to share that we're increasing your download speeds from 1 Gbps to 1.2 Gbps. Faster download speeds help to give you a better experience as you work, learn, and stream from home
Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Have you tried testing it with a wired connection and a wireless device at the same time (2 seperate devices)?

Also, use comcasts speedtest site. 

Check Your Internet Speed with the Xfinity xFi Speed Test

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7