Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: If 2.3.5.30 is stable, why upgrade to 2.5.1.8?

silpheedc
Aspirant

If 2.3.5.30 is stable, why upgrade to 2.5.1.8?

Serious question: What are the reasons someone using an RBR50 + Satellite that has been stable should upgrade to 2.5.1.8?

I've heard that device naming works better. And that they may have updated their cert (still self signed, though).

Is there any other reason? Does it perform better? Is it more secure? Is it more reliable?

Seems like this question should not even need to be asked; typically the vendor tells you the reasons to upgrade.  Thank goodness for these forums. 😉

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You dont' have to upgrade. You can if you want to though. Device naming was fixed along with the routers web page certificate that expired in older versions of FW. 

I have it loaded on mine. Working since upgrading. Others report using it as well. 

Message 2 of 5
silpheedc
Aspirant

Thanks for response, but honestly I'm looking for *new* information here. For those who don't already know, Netgear doesn't currently auto-upgrade (not since recent versions of FW), so all upgrades are at the customer's discretion. My post wasn't about whether one has a choice. 

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

NG does auto upgrade. They upgrade Major Versions of FW. It's minor versions that NG lets users choose to update or not. 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@silpheedc wrote:

I've heard that device naming works better. And that they may have updated their cert (still self signed, though).

Is there any other reason? Does it perform better? Is it more secure? Is it more reliable?

The "Release Notes" also mention fixing an issue with Sonos: https://kb.netgear.com/000061530/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-8 

I will probably run out of busy-work sometime in the next month and do the update, but I see no real reason to (so far).  Most of the comments on this forum have been in the context of the 2.5.0.38 firmware that totally hosed the device naming feature.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7