Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: If you are having "dropouts" with 2.5.1.8 firmware please read

Delphimon
Follower

If you are having "dropouts" with 2.5.1.8 firmware please read

I recently upgraded to firmware 2.5.1.8 to attempt to fix another problem I was having, but ever since I've noticed that the router seems to lose it's connection multiple times per day. As one other person (at least) has identified, what seems to be happening is not that the router actually does lose connection, but rather that it stops routing DNS. I've confimed the issue reproduces regardless of if I set static DNS servers (i.e. 1.1.1.1 cloudflare or 8.8.8.8 google), or if I let it get DNS from the ISP. 

I've also seen a lot of threads of people saying they are seeing "dropouts" on their router. I suspect that many or most of these are actually the same issue. From an end user perspective, it just looks like "the internet stops working". There is a simple way to test on a computer - open a command prompt or shell and attempt to "ping 1.1.1.1". If that works, but going to a website using a URL does not, you have this problem. If you get an error attempting to ping, you actually have a connectivity problem. 

So my ask is that if you think you are having connectivity problems, test and see if it is actually the DNS issue. Perhaps if we identify a critical mass of people who are having this, we can get Netgear to actually address, since my guess is that if you have this issue, none of the other random solutions (turn on/off beamforming, various settings, etc.) will have any impact. 

Also, while rebooting the router will at least temporarily fix the issue, you can also regain connectivity by logging into the admin page at 192.168.1.1 (or whatever you have it set to - remember, orbilogin.net or routerlogin.net won't work since DNS isn't responding), going to Internet and just clicking the "Test" button. That is enough to get DNS responding again. Downgrading to the earlier firmware may also solve your issue. 

Thanks

Andrew

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 49
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Nice post.  Thanks

My recommendation to folks is to stay away from manual updates.  IF you do perform an update that is faulty, your best bet is to revert back to the stable version, as you stated.

Many times with these update (not auto-pilot by NG) there are numerous issues.  The ping you discuss here is perhaps just one of many.

Message 2 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset after a FW update or problems seen after a FW update should be done as well. I haven't seen this issue. Others as well. Not everyone has the same ISP configurations. 

Message 3 of 49
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Factory reset after a FW update or problems seen after a FW update should be done as well. I haven't seen this issue. Others as well. Not everyone has the same ISP configurations. 

factory reset should not be required.  lost passwords yes.

Message 4 of 49
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Delphimon,  This might not be specific to v2.5.18.  I had similar issues in the past with various firmware versions.  The solution that works best for my Orib setup is to put Orbi in AP mode, assign Orbi/Satellite reserved/static IP addresses, DNS servers, and let the ISP Modem Router or your private router handlles DHCP/DNS/Routing chores.  Orbi's strength is WiFi coverage and its backhaul.  If you have some spare cycles, give it a try.  Here is an example of my config.

Static IP AP Mode.png

FWIW, v2.5.1.8 has been the most stable firmware released with the best performance to date for my setup.  YMMV.

v2.5.1.8 Wireless SpeedTest Satellite-2.pngv2.5.1.8 Wireless SpeedTest.pngV2.5.1.8 SpeedTest3.png

Message 5 of 49
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@SW_ wrote:

@Delphimon,  This might not be specific to v2.5.18.  I had similar issues in the past with various firmware versions.  The solution that works best for my Orib setup is to put Orbi in AP mode, assign Orbi/Satellite reserved/static IP addresses, DNS servers, and let the ISP Modem Router or your private router handlles DHCP/DNS/Routing chores.  Orbi's strength is WiFi coverage and its backhaul.  If you have some spare cycles, give it a try.  Here is an example of my config.

Static IP AP Mode.png

FWIW, v2.5.1.8 has been the most stable firmware released with the best performance to date for my setup.  YMMV.

v2.5.1.8 Wireless SpeedTest Satellite-2.pngv2.5.1.8 Wireless SpeedTest.pngV2.5.1.8 SpeedTest3.png

wow...perhaps a bit heavy for the 'average' user.  Smiley Indifferent

I'm glad v2.5.18 works for you.  Like some have mentioned here, there are many ISP/system configuations out there.

What improvements did you see with v2.5.18?

Message 6 of 49
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Retired_Member wrote:

WiFi performance was the deciding factor for me.

Message 7 of 49
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@SW_ wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

WiFi performance was the deciding factor for me.

Thanks...I'll wait for NG to push any updates to me.  If my wifi was any better I'd be watching 2 movies at once.

Message 8 of 49
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

I am absolutely having this problem, and I have spent the last month trying to prove it was the ISP (it was last time). But I suspect more than DNS is affectted as my IP based IP SEC VPN is also dropping.

Is there a workaround other than AP mode?  Is there any fix planned?

Message 9 of 49
brandon19
Aspirant

Recently my Orbi auto upgraded to v2.5.1.8 and started the "dropouts" throughout the day. I did a manual rollback to the latest version that was stable and was good for 24hrs until it auto upgraded again. I disabled the auto upgrade via telnet but doesn't seem to make a difference. Keeps upgrading to latest and then drops out every 4-5hrs. 

Message 10 of 49
Baddayman
Aspirant

Love OP's post. For me I am seeing the following issues:

1. I have a few IOT devices that seem to lost their Wifi connection since updating to this firmware. My Honeywell Thremostat and my Eufy Vaccum. Just randomly throughout the say these devices disconnect. I have two themostats and I notice the downstiars one seems to disconnect often but upstairs seems to stay connected just fine. To resolve the connectivity issue, I just have to reboot the router and all is well. Before this update....everything was peachy, no issues all was well.

2. Everyone once in a while, when my wife's iMAC boots using a schedule, the router stops passing traffic. I have to reboot to fix this. Doesn't happen often but has occured 4 times in the last 2 months.

3. So not sure how many other ppl use this feature but I use the traffic manager. Ever since the update, it has been straight up broken. The current usage doesn't show at all and the past months usage starts at 0 every day. Anything for the current month is not displaying anything.....just 0s.

4. I do believe I am seeing a DNS query issue but it is very sopradic and affects different devices. One day our Roku was unable to query anything. Another day I had an issue doing DNS lookups for customers I was working on; I work from home as a network guy. Every couple days, it just seems like I get to response for a webpage but if I refresh it loads - doesn't matter the website either.

I think I may downgrade, not liking having things randomly drop and odd DNS issues. Hope we get an update to fix. To the Poster saying you need to do a factory reset of the router to fix the issue; that is obsurd to do. The whole point of doing an upgrade for any platform is to  gain usage of bug fixes, features, feature enhancements, etc. Can you imagine having to factory reset your phone everytime there was an update?

Message 11 of 49
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

aa@Baddayman, responses inline below for a couple of your questions.

@Baddayman wrote:

1. I have a few IOT devices that seem to lost their Wifi connection since updating to this firmware. My Honeywell Thremostat and my Eufy Vaccum. Just randomly throughout the say these devices disconnect. I have two themostats and I notice the downstiars one seems to disconnect often but upstairs seems to stay connected just fine. To resolve the connectivity issue, I just have to reboot the router and all is well. Before this update....everything was peachy, no issues all was well.

If you can power-cycle these IoT devices, they should reconnect to the strongest WiFi signal.  When the Orbi router and satellites are rebooted (power cycle, firmware update, software reboot, etc), the WiFi is turned on on the router first. Once the satellites receive their backhaul signal (even if wired backhaul), then the satellites will enable their WiFi.  So this can cause IoT devices to bind to the router rather than to the stronger/closer WiFi of a satellite, if your satellites are closer to the IoT device.  Unfortunately there is no way to prevent this race condition, so the only workaround is to reboot the IoT device to have it search again for the strongest signal.

@Baddayman wrote:

3. So not sure how many other ppl use this feature but I use the traffic manager. Ever since the update, it has been straight up broken. The current usage doesn't show at all and the past months usage starts at 0 every day. Anything for the current month is not displaying anything.....just 0s.

Others have reported this same issue.  It happens only when Daylight Savings Time is enabled and your timezone is using DST.  The workaround for now is to go to Advanced -> Administration -> NTP Settings and uncheck the "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time" and click "Apply".  There are open tickets with Netgear for this issue and it would require a fix in the firmware.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 12 of 49
theoak
Luminary

It seems odd to me that in AP mode the Orbi needs to have DNS values set.  Maybe it needs that so it can call home - who knows?  If it works - how can I argue that.  Great tip - 1000 kudos 🙂

Message 13 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

AP mode has the ability to use static or dynamic acquired DNS. 

@theoak wrote:

It seems odd to me that in AP mode the Orbi needs to have DNS values set.  Maybe it needs that so it can call home - who knows?  If it works - how can I argue that.  Great tip - 1000 kudos 🙂

Message 14 of 49
theoak
Luminary

@FURRYe38 : So, does the static defined DNS get passed downstream to the connected devices; or, is that just for the Orbi and its satellites?

Message 15 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Connecting clients still see a 192.168.1.1 in there DNS settings. 

Actually that can go two ways, like above or if you have a host router that can disable DNS Relay/proxy, then connected clients will see what ever DNS is configured on the main host router. D-Link routers can disable DNS Relay/Proxy on there routers. 

Message 16 of 49
PeteWalker74
Aspirant

Thanks so much for posting this.  I'll keep an eye on this, and will try the "test" if I get a WIFI drop and see if it fixes it.

Before I read this, I went to look at previous versions, but when I went to download, it gave me a 404.

Question: Has anyone who has had the WIFI disconnect issue described here successfully downgraded the firmware and confirmed that fixes the issue?

If so, does anyone have working links for the previous RBR50 and RBS50 (gen 1) firmware handy?

Thank you all very much.

Message 17 of 49
spatzy13
Aspirant

Hi

New here, i believe i must have the same issue, system which was pretty solid (3 months) prior to f/w upgrade is now flaky as hell. Satellites (x2 keep dropping out). My question is a simple one, how do I downgrade to the previous version, can’t seem to find the option anywhere

Thanks

G

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 18 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset your RBS and RBR and setup from scratch to see if this fixes your problem before downgrading. 

@spatzy13 wrote:

Hi

New here, i believe i must have the same issue, system which was pretty solid (3 months) prior to f/w upgrade is now flaky as hell. Satellites (x2 keep dropping out). My question is a simple one, how do I downgrade to the previous version, can’t seem to find the option anywhere

Thanks

G

Message 19 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset your RBS and RBR and setup from scratch to see if this fixes your problem before downgrading.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

IF the reset or suggestions to try doesn't help, then go here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx

@PeteWalker74 wrote:

Thanks so much for posting this.  I'll keep an eye on this, and will try the "test" if I get a WIFI drop and see if it fixes it.

Before I read this, I went to look at previous versions, but when I went to download, it gave me a 404.

Question: Has anyone who has had the WIFI disconnect issue described here successfully downgraded the firmware and confirmed that fixes the issue?

If so, does anyone have working links for the previous RBR50 and RBS50 (gen 1) firmware handy?

Thank you all very much.

Message 20 of 49
Baddayman
Aspirant

Believe it or not, disabling NTP for daylight savings actually fixed the issues with my iot devices connecting to Wi-Fi. They aren't anymore and for the DNS issues I was seeing, I don't think I've noticed it today either. I'll post again in a few days to see if it still happens
Message 21 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. Did you start noticing problems when DTS started on 3/1?

Message 22 of 49
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

Since downgrading from 2.5.1.8 only one DNS failure and that was at only one of my test sites, which seems to indicate a problem with that site.

Message 23 of 49
spatzy13
Aspirant

Ok will do thanks

Message 24 of 49
apt-get
Aspirant

So I experienced this today and whilst pinging 1.1.1.1 did NOT work, using 192.168.1.1 to get to the router admin page then and 'testing' the internet did indeed restore connectivity.  I'm going to raise with Netgear.

Message 25 of 49
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 48 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7