Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Immense troubles to get Sonos working on Orbi RBK50 3 node system

Atlixnor
Guide

Immense troubles to get Sonos working on Orbi RBK50 3 node system

When I started this journey I just used my cable-modem router and Sonos worked great. Since then my network has got more and more populated and advanced. I am running 2 Zigbee networks at Zigbee channels 20 (SmartThings)  and 24 (Hue). So I set Orbi wireless channels to the lowest, channel 1. Today Sonos started and stopped within a minute again. As you know this could also be due to neighbors wifi networks. I tried changing it to Channel 2 and it did not help. 

Not sure what to do now, any help appreciated, but what about changing to a Nightgear?

Maybe Sonos and mesh is not a good mix? Google Wifi did also not work. My problem is that I do not know what is causing Sonos to drop. There are 3 possibilities:

1. Zigbee network

2. Mesh system with its many wifi networks 

3. Nighbor networks

Message 1 of 16
clammerds
Apprentice

I have a similar setup - Orbi RBR50, SmartThings, Hue and Sonos and all works fine with each other.

What firmware are you running? I am running the 2.5.1.8 firmware. Not sure what other hints I can give you. 

My 2.4Ghz channel is set to 1, 5Ghz set to 36.

In advanced wireless options, I  have implicit beam forming on, MU-MIMO on and Fast Roaming off. Daisy chain topology is off. 

All my Sonos speakers have static ip addresses assigned as does my Satellite. 

Hope some of that info is helpful and you get it all working!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 16
JustMe27
Guide

I use Orbi for my wi-fi. I have had great experiences with Sonos' Twitter support. They are knowledgeable and responsive. You might want to give them a try in resolving the challenges you are facing with your current set up.

Message 3 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

It's pretty clear that Zigbee is not likely to be causing any problems with your WiFi on channel 1. https://acuitysupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/225413967-Zigbee-Networking-Basics-35-000ft-view... 

Sonos makes so many products.  It might help to describe which Sonos is having a problem.

Message 4 of 16
Atlixnor
Guide

Not so sure, I am pretty sure it worked when I turned off the Smartthingshub. Maybe the people getting it to work have more networks points than me? I have to place the ST hub right besides the Orbi Satellite or router.

@CrimpOn wrote:

It's pretty clear that Zigbee is not likely to be causing any problems with your WiFi on channel 1. https://acuitysupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/225413967-Zigbee-Networking-Basics-35-000ft-view... 

Sonos makes so many products.  It might help to describe which Sonos is having a problem.

@CrimpOn wrote:

Message 5 of 16
Atlixnor
Guide

@clammerds wrote:

I have a similar setup - Orbi RBR50, SmartThings, Hue and Sonos and all works fine with each other.

What firmware are you running? I am running the 2.5.1.8 firmware. Not sure what other hints I can give you. 

My 2.4Ghz channel is set to 1, 5Ghz set to 36.

In advanced wireless options, I  have implicit beam forming on, MU-MIMO on and Fast Roaming off. Daisy chain topology is off. 

All my Sonos speakers have static ip addresses assigned as does my Satellite. 

Hope some of that info is helpful and you get it all working!

Thanks. I have the same. Is your ST hub next to any of the Orbi nodes? Do you have neighbors around with strong wifi signals? I will try tweaking the advanced settings. I just tried the Auto-setting, which set my channel to 13, which did not even start Sonos. My six Sonos Speakers are not static, not sue why you did that. What is your Sonos health? Network matrix. If you don´t know how to get it, I can show you.

Message 6 of 16
clammerds
Apprentice

My ST hub is on a shelf underneath the orbi router so yes, very close.

I have made them static as with a previous firmware at least, it seemed to make it all stable.  When I say they're static, I don't mean I've made the speakers themselves static but my DHCP server assigns them the same IP address every time they request one.  You can do that in the LAN Setup section in the advanced tab of the router.

For info, I have 7 Sonos speakers all in all. 

Don't know about how to get Sonos health. If you tell me how, I'll happily look for you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 16
Atlixnor
Guide

I am exited to test Sonos now after doing the changes in Advanced. I am attaching my other settings, too., which also is default. Maybe there are more differences?

To check Sonos health: http://10.0.0.21:1400/support/review

Message 8 of 16
Atlixnor
Guide

Unfortunately still cutting off Sonos after just 2-3 minutes play. Anyone thinks I have better luck using the Nighthawk? Are there reasons that Sonos will work better there? Time is of importance as the 50 day return period for the Orbi is quickly approaching also. Will do a reboot of the Satellites also, as I did not do that. I only rebooted the Sonos devices.

Message 9 of 16
Atlixnor
Guide

Not sure yet if maybe this problem has something to do with my Sonos Play 5 speakers. One is reporting as "Zoneplayer" and the other is reporting as "Play 5". They have been set up as a Stereo pair. Will ask Sonos about this tomorrow and continue troubleshooting and hopefully we have isolated the problem to these 2 speakers.

Message 10 of 16
plemans
Guru

I read in 1 post that having more than 1 sonos hardwired into your system with orbi can create issues. Do you have more than 1 hardwired in?

Message 11 of 16
Atlixnor
Guide

No, but I will tonight try to get it working by connecting one unit. In this way, Sonos will set up its own mesh.
Message 12 of 16
clammerds
Apprentice

@Atlixnor wrote:
No, but I will tonight try to get it working by connecting one unit. In this way, Sonos will set up its own mesh.

That might work. Defo sounds like something hasn't set up correctly as you said about one of your Play:5 reporting to be Zone Player.

Have got my Network Mesh map (attached) and although some are red, all work absolutely fine.

In my lounge, I have two play 1 as rear speakers, playbar and sub at the front of the room. All linked in together as one room (so more than just a stereo pair) and no reports of any Zone Players in the Network Matrix or by the Orbi system.

Hope you get yours all sorted soon!

Message 13 of 16
eljarviso
Luminary

I have a similar setup to you (same ST hub and hue hub) and also had issues with Sonos however I fixed them all by purchasing a Sonos bridge device and having all Sonos speakers run on their own proprietary mesh system. Since I e done this everything works awesome.
Message 14 of 16
Atlixnor
Guide

Yes, this is also a solution. I found a similar solution actually. Connect one of the speakers to a LAN and it does the same: forming its own mesh-network. 

I actually had the bridge and also bought the Boost. Then I read an article than in general the use of a bridge should only be used if there were few wifi networks around, otherwise it would be interference. So I sold my brand new Boost with a loss and bought the Google Wifi, and here I am, back to start, but one experience richer: Don´t assume things will work straight away and don´t sell too early 🙂

Message 15 of 16
Atlixnor
Guide

Actually I the battle continues. I have tweeted a lot with Sonos, and in the end they want me to call them to sort this out. I will next week, but to me, this seems to be a faulty Play 5 unit. It reports as Zoneplayer and not Play 5 in Orbi, and as soon as I add it to the room consisting of all the other speakers, it fails after 1-2 songs causing a full stop. I explained this to Sonos, but they want me to call them. Credit to Sonos for identifying this, though, because they advised me to separate the Play 5 pair that contains the faulty speaker. Will be back...
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7