Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

In addition to my cable modem (Netgear CM1100), do I need a router in addition to my orbi for wifi?

Cesle
Aspirant

In addition to my cable modem (Netgear CM1100), do I need a router in addition to my orbi for wifi?

I have a new Netgear CM1100 cable modem installed. Discovered it needs a router for wifi. I have a new Orbi RBK22 (Costco, so model # is slightly different). Can the Orbi router provide the wifi access I need? Or do I need a separate router?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: In addition to my cable modem (Netgear CM1100), do I need a router in addition to my orbi for wi

@Cesle wrote:

In followed the app instructions and here's what I have:

App says:

Cables connected

no internet connection

I have NG CM1100 cablemodem up and running. Plugged into it:

LAN 1 yellow ethernet cable to desktop computer>Remove the PC from the LAN port 1 on the modem. Connect the wired PC to the back of the RBR. 

LAN 2 white ethernet cable to Orbi internet port>Remove the cable from LAN port 2 and move to LAN port 1 on the modem.  

Coax from outside cable box 

Power plugged in

Orbi RBK22 has:

Power plugged in

White ethernet cable plugged into yellow internet port

My computer shows:

Network (connected)

ORBI34 (no internet, secured)

Help!

The additional LAN ports on the CM1100 modem are for Link Aggregation which Orbi doesn't support. So just use the LAN port 1 on the modem for the cable connection to the RBR. You'll get internet then. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: In addition to my cable modem (Netgear CM1100), do I need a router in addition to my orbi for wi

Yes, the RBK includes a router. 

Message 2 of 8

@Cesle wrote:

Can the Orbi router provide the wifi access I need?

To avoid any confusion to a "yes" answer to two questions, this is the one that matters.

Your RBK22 is a router.

Follow the instructions on connecting it to a modem through the Internet port on the back, and away you go.

Message 3 of 8
Cesle
Aspirant

App says:

Cables connected

no internet connection

LAN 1 yellow ethernet cable to desktop computer

LAN 2 white ethernet cable to Orbi internet port 

Power plugged in

Orbi RBK22 has:

Power plugged in

My computer shows:

Network (connected)

Help!

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@Cesle wrote:

App says:

Cables connected

no internet connection

LAN 1 yellow ethernet cable to desktop computer>Remove the PC from the LAN port 1 on the modem. Connect the wired PC to the back of the RBR. 

LAN 2 white ethernet cable to Orbi internet port>Remove the cable from LAN port 2 and move to LAN port 1 on the modem.  

Power plugged in

Orbi RBK22 has:

Power plugged in

My computer shows:

Network (connected)

Help!

The additional LAN ports on the CM1100 modem are for Link Aggregation which Orbi doesn't support. So just use the LAN port 1 on the modem for the cable connection to the RBR. You'll get internet then. 

Message 5 of 8
Cesle
Aspirant

Hallelujah! Everything works. Thank you so much! All is well.

Cinda

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 8

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please mark your thread as solved. 

Fixed.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7