Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

In-line vs on a network node

JWUC
Initiate

In-line vs on a network node

Good Afternoon, 
We recently purchased a new house and the area where all the networking cables converge is in the master closet in a wall panel. It's not the most ideal location for the orbi as it's in the farthest corner of the house. We make use of the Disney circle a lot for the kids as well. 

Current setup: Modem > Orbi > 16 port switch > devices

Would there be any issues with either orbi operation or Circle if the setup was changed to 
Modem > Switch > Orbi/Devices (where the orbi and the Computers are on separate ports of the switch)

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Re: In-line vs on a network node

Unless your modem has a built-in router, then your proposed setup will not work.  There are exceptions, but for the vast majority of people, the setup must always be Modem > Router > Switch/Devices.

Message 2 of 6
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

"all the networking cables converge" sounds like your house is wired. If so, place Orbi satellites wherever you need them and connect them by wire.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your using a NON managed switch. There are known issues with managed switches causing problems with Orbi systems.

Always put a switch after the router.

@JWUC wrote:

Good Afternoon, 
We recently purchased a new house and the area where all the networking cables converge is in the master closet in a wall panel. It's not the most ideal location for the orbi as it's in the farthest corner of the house. We make use of the Disney circle a lot for the kids as well. 

Current setup: Modem > Orbi > 16 port switch > devices

Would there be any issues with either orbi operation or Circle if the setup was changed to 
Modem > Switch > Orbi/Devices (where the orbi and the Computers are on separate ports of the switch)

Message 4 of 6
JWUC
Initiate

Thanks for the relplies all. 

I'll go ahead and maintain the current setup. 
I was just looking to save $200 by not buying another satellite if I could move the main unit to a more optimal location. 
The switch I have is unmanaged, so no issues there. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Theoretically you can move the Orbi router to a different location if your ethernet cable from the modem is longer and placeable.

Enjoy.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7