Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Inconsistent/Inaccurate Satelite Connection Details

bsholbrook
Apprentice

Inconsistent/Inaccurate Satelite Connection Details

I have uncovered what appears to be an inconsistency in client and satelite conneciton information or a bug.   Sharing screen grabs to describe the issue:

The routers shows these clients are satelite connected  (notice multiple 5G connections):

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 8.29.38 PM.png 

Moving over to the satelite, the client list checks:

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 8.29.55 PM.png

Now looking at the satelite status tab it is NOT showing a 5ghz connection to clients and "no connection" on 2.4GHz??????? - how is this????:

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 8.30.27 PM.png

So whats going on here?  Is there an information bug in the router or satelite or both?  Is the satelite recievinf sufficient signal from the router?  Something else?  On occasion the satelite show a 5G client connection on the status page.

-----------

Another bug/issue:  the satelite status screen will not always provide the details captured below, it seems to depend on what client connections are displayed.

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 8.38.19 PM.png 

I'm hoping the experts in netgear can use this to advance the interfaces. .  A theme seen across the forums is customers seeking better visuals on the health of the mesh backplane and the clients.  While we can poke around and dig some of that out of the various pages, a consolidated visual with performance information would help immensly.  Orbi is a phenominal product with a premium pricetag, customers wants to know they are getting the value and performance they have paid for.

Loving Orbi and hoping for more advancements!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Inconsistent/Inaccurate Satelite Connection Details

Hello bsholbrook

These are great suggestions on the interface of Orbi I would suggest making this post over in the Idea exchange board.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

Hi bsholbrook,  what firmware is on your router?  It shows band devices are connected to.  Latest version doesn't.

Message 3 of 6
bsholbrook
Apprentice

Message 4 of 6
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

WOW.  I have .18 too but my connection type shows only wired or wireless.  Many posters have complained about not knowing what band their devices are connected to.

Hey support, how do we get this.

Message 5 of 6
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

I have experienced similar inconsistencies and called them invisible devices. Note that Pams-Iphone shows up on the router connected device list and not on the satellite connected device list. When this happens to me, the 5GHz portion of the satellite status screen doesn't show even though there are devices connected.

As for HunterHKSiPhone is suspect it may be connected to the router. Try the following in the router attached devices list:  click on any device name to enter the edit device screen, click in the device name box, and press <enter> instead of clicking on the apply button. For me this brings up an alternate listing that shows devices attached to the router and each satellete.

I would sure like to explore how your device list shows the band while mine only shows orbi, wired or wireless.  My router and satellites are all firmware V1.4.0.18.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7