Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Increase maximum monthly limit field for Traffic Monitor (needed by Comcast customers)

Dingo69
Initiate

Increase maximum monthly limit field for Traffic Monitor (needed by Comcast customers)

I have a data usage plan from my cable provider (Comcast XFINITY) that provides me with a terabyte (1 TB or 1024 GB) of Internet data usage each month as part of your monthly service.

The router’s traffic meter requests I input my traffic volume “monthly limit” is Mbytes. So my 1024Gb limit should be input as 1,024,000 Mbytes.

Problem is, your “monthly limit” field only accepts 6 characters. My limit is 7 characters (1,024,000 Mbytes) which I also may increase with an unlimited plan.

Can you add a digit to the field? When can this be actioned?

Thank you.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Increase maximum monthly limit field for Traffic Monitor (needed by Comcast customers)

You can try this and see if this works for Orbi:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-50sf.45812/page-2#post-400...

Not sure if this will work. Something to bring up to the moderators or NG support.

Message 2 of 13
Dingo69
Initiate

How do you contact the mods or NG support?

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Find and click on @AmitR or @DarrenM then it will take you to there profile. You can send a PM. 

@Dingo69 wrote:

How do you contact the mods or NG support?

Message 4 of 13
neo1981
Apprentice

Not to nitpick, but wouldn't the Xfinity cap in Traffic meter be entered as 1048576 MBytes? 

Not sure if my math is correct here or not. 

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I belive might be. Could be one to many characters....Anyone tried it?

@neo1981 wrote:

Not to nitpick, but wouldn't the Xfinity cap in Traffic meter be entered as 1048576 MBytes? 

Not sure if my math is correct here or not. 

Message 6 of 13
neo1981
Apprentice

Actually, I did and it seems to be working. Wanted to make sure that my TB --> MB conversation made sense. The new firmware on my R9000 (that I got a couple days ago) lets me enter larger numbers than before. 

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 13
flrebroker
Aspirant

I have this same issue I need to enter 1024000 Mbytes but cannot enter the last zero.  Sorta crazy this is a problem.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 13
randomousity
Luminary

Could be 1,024,000, or could, as others have pointed out, be 1,048,576. Either way, if you run out of space in the field due to it not accommodating enough digits, put all 9s. So, instead of 1,024,000, you'd put 999,999. Regardless of the actual data quota you're given, you'll be cut off or warned a little early (24 GB to ~48.5 GB), but you won't go over, and it's at least reasonably close. This should work as a short-term fix, at least until they update the firmware to account for larger data quotas.

For Netgear, if anyone's reading this, I'd suggest adding more digits, and/or changing it from being a static unit of Mbytes to a dropdown menu of a few various common units (MB, GB, TB, etc.) and the router doing the conversion itself. So users would have the option of putting 1 TB or 1,000 GB, or whatever they're given as their quotas by their ISPs, and can input it in the same format, hopefully eliminating issues with unit conversions by users. (e.g., does 1 TB = 1,000,000 or 1,024,000 or 1,048,576 MB?)

Message 11 of 13
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello All, 

Engineering is aware and is working on resolving the issue in future firmware releases. 

~Christian 

Message 12 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R wrote:

Engineering is aware and is working on resolving the issue in future firmware releases.  

Christian,
@ChristineT

Will this be a typical Netgear engineering point fix to the Orbi platform the users here asked for, or is the product management aware that there are dozens of not hundreds of non-Orbi routers still under maintenance (as there is no published EoL) this must be applied to all router products still in maintenance mode?

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7