Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Increasing DHCP lease time

AKLGUY
Apprentice

Increasing DHCP lease time

I have only had my Orbi RBK50 for just over a week now.

Once I had the ethernet backhaul sorted (The trouble was there was a switch between the Orbi Router and Satelitte with other devices on too. I moved the LAN so it was between the two Orbi units and have the in one of the other LAN on the Satelitte, Now running smooth for 3 days and no further issues.

But what I would like to do now is, Increase the DHCP lease time, The Orbi logs are just bombarded with DCHP notifications.

I can not see anything in the settings yet for this. But it looks like the setting is 1 hour at the moment.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Re: Increasing DHCP lease time

Correction Lease time is 24 hours. It just seems that is iphones that are continuelly getting DHCP address.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Set your devices up for IP address reservations.

I would change the default IP address pool from 192.168.1.2 thru .254 to 192.168.100 thru .200.

Message 3 of 11
AKLGUY
Apprentice

I already have the pool from 10.0.0.2-10.0.0.254 to 10.0.0.20-254 leaving the 10.0.0.2-10.0.0.19 for Internal servers/Printers/security cameras guess a smaller pool wont hurt 

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The pool should be as big as you need and just a bit over to allow for growth. 100 IPs is good enough for most homes.

Message 5 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

I have also found iOS devices, and a few others, to be obnoxious in their constant DHCP requests. My solution was to give *every* device on my network a static address, or a reserved address if static wasn’t possible. (E.g., my HP OfficeJet printer forgets its static address after a power outage.) No guesswork, few DHCP requests, I know every device’s address, and my LAN runs great. “Set and forget” is my recommendation.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 11
AKLGUY
Apprentice

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

I have also found iOS devices, and a few others, to be obnoxious in their constant DHCP requests. My solution was to give *every* device on my network a static address, or a reserved address if static wasn’t possible. (E.g., my HP OfficeJet printer forgets its static address after a power outage.) No guesswork, few DHCP requests, I know every device’s address, and my LAN runs great. “Set and forget” is my recommendation.

Thank you @RocketSquirrel

I think I might move my DCHP pool up to x.x.x.100 and then move my Apple iOS/ATV devices to static IPs from the x.x.x.2x range.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats were I have some of my devices, ATV, printers, NAS and such. I reserve IPs for iphones and all my other devices that need some form of router management and internet access. 

@AKLGUY wrote:

I have only had my Orbi RBK50 for just over a week now.

Once I had the ethernet backhaul sorted (The trouble was there was a switch between the Orbi Router and Satelitte with other devices on too. I moved the LAN so it was between the two Orbi units and have the in one of the other LAN on the Satelitte, Now running smooth for 3 days and no further issues.

But what I would like to do now is, Increase the DHCP lease time, The Orbi logs are just bombarded with DCHP notifications.

I can not see anything in the settings yet for this. But it looks like the setting is 1 hour at the moment.

Message 8 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

I see no reason to use DHCP unless a particular device requires it. DHCP is for guests on my guest network and my few devices which don’t support static addresses. It’s an extra level of unneeded complexity and only adds another point of failure.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 9 of 11
AKLGUY
Apprentice

@Case850 wrote:

@AKLGUY wrote: >>> The Orbi logs are just bombarded with DCHP notifications.

What do you mean by this? Are devices repeatedly making a DHCP request within a 24 hr period?

Yeah some times every time the phone wakes up. (from lock screen) Once had a request from one device every 30 seconds. But I stopped that by forgetting the AP inside the iphone and then rejoining, that has since seemed to stop the requests.

Message 10 of 11
ekhalil
Master

By monitoring the Orbi Logs, I can see that the DHCP lease time is set to 12 hours in Orbi. 

For devices that ar enot moving between router/satellite you will see the following message every exactly 12 hours:

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.7] to MAC address e8:b1:fc:77:a0:29, Monday, October 29, 2018 18:06:50

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.7] to MAC address e8:b1:fc:77:a0:29, Monday, October 29, 2018 06:06:49

Those DHCP messages will be sent regardless if you have set DHCP address reservations or not.

The client (your network device) will send a DHCP request when the lease time is out and then Orbi will send DHCP acknowledgement which is then logged in the Logs as above.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7