Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Installation NETGEAR ORBI

trident
Guide

Installation NETGEAR ORBI

Purchased an ORBI unit from Fry's today and just finished the install after 8 hours.  Everything is as advertised, except setting up everything took some time; running wires, wire ties, syncing TV's, Computers, Arlo, it took awhile.  With that said, the system works great in a 4600 sf. house and very nice to get rid of three extenders.  This is the first time the Smart TV's hooked up first try and remained so.  Probably need one more SAT to cover a couple of weak spots, but the system is a 10 plus. Highly recommend.  Very nice to get rid of running to the router to sync printers, etc.  Well worth the money.

Message 1 of 19
loomis1975
Luminary

Glad it went well for you.  I also am looking forward to adding a satellite to my setup.

Message 2 of 19
trident
Guide

The Orbi is a 10 plus system.  It is great being able to use one wifi without having to reconnect all the time.  In a 4600 sf house,  only one area that is less than max.  Will put in one sat later.  Speedtest shows exactly same speed wired vs wifi.  Well worth the price.

Message 3 of 19
trident
Guide

On day four with ORBI installed and everything is working exceptionally well.  The Router is located in an upstairs closet along with a 3 X 8 electronics cabinet built into the wall.  Prior to ORBI, I had 3 extenders and multiply connections through the extenders and very weak signal.  With the ORBI I have everything going and full bars on 99% of everything hooked up.  Installation was flawless and the only time required was checking every attached device to make sure of correct SSID and passwords.  I have been looking for something like this since we built the house in 2002. Nothing has dropped or loss signal since hook up. We get 25/5 from our Internet provider and   every room in the house when tested gets 25/5. Well worth the $400.00 price tag and will add a highly recommend for big house.

Message 4 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello trident 

Thanks for the feedback on how its working glad to hear it is performing how you imaged it to.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 19
GadgetGuy
Apprentice

My Orbi is arriving today. I will be connecting 2 smart TVs, 2 IPads, 4 IPhones, 3 MacBooks, 1 Arlo system with 4 cameras, 1 HUE, and 1 RING.
I am pretty excited about this ststem, since now I have FIOS with their proprietary router, and in my opinion is one of the worst routers out there. And you can't connect to Netgear extenders. So, I hope Orbi will solve this issue. I will report my findings here.
Message 6 of 19
trident
Guide

One thing I did find out was when a friend was over that there is NOT a guest setup.  I had to give him my complete password, hope that is changed.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 7 of 19
GadgetGuy
Apprentice

So I'm back. My Orbi system arrived Thursday night and I waited until last night because I was prepared to spend hours troubleshooting. 

My household devices:  Arlo, Ring, Hue, two smart TVs, 2 MacBooks, 4 iPhones, two iPads 

1-when I opened the box, it felt like I was opening a 1000 wedding gift from Bloomingdales. It looks classy!

2-Went to Fios and disabled wifi. 

Tip: make sure you have a phone or iPad with good reception because if you need to do any research for the troubleshooting, you no longer have wifi. 

3-connected Orbi to the router and power. 

Tip: now you need to connect the device you are using to configure your Orbi to the Orbi network. Don't spend 10 minutes trying to use your network password. The password is on a sticker, right on the Orbi's face!!! 🙂 That made me feel just a bit stupid for a sec. Then go to orbilogin.com--now you must be on the Orbi network 

4-Follow the steps in the Orbi site (not the setup site) on how to connect Orbi to a Verizon Fios

5-Connect your satellite to power 

6-follow the directions on the Orbi login site. 

7-I changed the Orbi network name and the network password to my Fios credentials. Easier for the family to remember. 

7-Voila!!! You are done. 

Installation time: 15 minutes. 

-10 trying to figure out the password that was on a sticker right in front of me 4.5 configuring the Orbi and .5 looking for the best location for the satellite. 

I'm paying for 150mb, and I'm getting 150 to 159 all over the house. 

THIS SYSTEM IS INSANE!!! THANK YOU NETGEAR, YOU GOT IT RIGHT!  I even made me forget about the guest network and the 400 dollars. I've been with bad wifi for years and years! Now I have great coverage all over the house. Two floors. 

If people come over to enjoy my speed all over my house, I can add the credentials to their device. 

Message 8 of 19

hi gadgetguy

yup glad you have it working well and as i have been saying the wireless coverage is claim to fame at this stage and you find you dont need a second sat at all ,

btw is your ring connected to the orbi router or sat ? and is it working

pete

Message 9 of 19
trident
Guide

No need for a second satellite I found out.  While walking the dog, the signal from the router works across the street and one to two houses down the street with one to two bars.  The biggest endorsement comes from my wife who confirms it was worth the money.

Message 10 of 19
itGeeks
Apprentice

Sounds great, How many floors are you covering with WiFi in your house and how many sqft?

Message 11 of 19
itGeeks
Apprentice

I want to try Orbi so bad but I only need one not the kit, Can't wait for Netgear to start selling singles. I don't understand what the delay/problem is with selling singles other then a push with the more exspensive kit.

Message 12 of 19
trident
Guide

4,600 sf, two floors and computer in the garage at the farthermost area.  Like I stated, I have been waiting for something like this since we built the house in 2002. One other point; going into the router and checking/changing is much easier, a plus.20160929_114132.jpg 

Message 13 of 19
trident
Guide

One more picture.20160929_114233.jpg

Message 14 of 19
GadgetGuy
Apprentice

About 2800, plaster walls, two floors. No dead zones.
Message 15 of 19
dbgirl
Aspirant

Hi there;

Loving the Orbi-we have 99% of our Spectrum Cable Internet in 3000 sq. ft house with 1 added satelite-everything that was on in the house(cable, TV's, phones) all synced nicely, took a bit of time but all went well.  Problem is when i went to sync two more things later (another TV and Blu-Ray) they find the Orbi but cannot connect...made several attempts at syncing-any clues?

Message 16 of 19
trident
Guide

My knowledge  is very limited, but I would try disconnecting everything and try a reset, then try pairingvthe two units that are the problem.  If still will not connect then possible password or router settings.  Sorry, but not that technical. 

Message 17 of 19
dbgirl
Aspirant

Thanks. Did try a reset- noticed my tv says "multiple APs found try again later" and in the list of available networks it shows one of the orbi's twice- and also the satellite. Thinking now that's the problem.
Message 18 of 19

@dbgirl wrote:
Thanks. Did try a reset- noticed my tv says "multiple APs found try again later" and in the list of available networks it shows one of the orbi's twice- and also the satellite. Thinking now that's the problem.

try setting the channels manually on 2.4 gig to say ch 1 , 6 or 11 and see if that helps , next try disabling beam forming and mu-mimo from the advanced menu / advanced setup / wireless section ( its at the bottom of the page ) 

it sounds however that the wireless adapter thats in the device is not playing nice for some reason , is it built in or a separate adapter ?

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7