Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Installation Problem setting up Orbi with ATT DSL

Joewolf
Aspirant

Installation Problem setting up Orbi with ATT DSL

I had my system working flawlessly, then changed internet providers. Now, my orbi system does not connect to the Internet, but if I plug an old nighthawk router in, it works fine. The old provider (that everything worked) was Comcast xfinity, the new one is AT&T U-verse

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
Joewolf
Aspirant

Also, first I simply connected my rbr 20 to the modem and rebooted it. Got nothing. Then, I reset the system to factory and reset it up. Still nothing.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 3 of 8
Joewolf
Aspirant

I am on 2.2.1.210 for firmware. That said, I have no idea what daisy chain mode is, or how to enable/disable it.

my modem is from U-verse, it appears to be  a Pace brand model 5268AC FXN. I don’t see any settings on it for bridge mode, and as I only have my tablet and phone, I am wary of disabling the radios as I would lose the ability to talk to it if the Orbi system still has issues.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would recommend contacting your ISP to help you with the modem. The problem is that your modem already has a built in router and wifi, and these are conflicting and interfering with the Orbi system. The 3 suggestions are options that you can have your ISP help you with to get the Orbi running thats best for yoru needs and gets the Orbi system connected well with the ISP modem. 

You may need to barrow or have someone bring a laptop PC with ethernet support so while your working with the modem and Orbi system, you can get access to either over a wired connection should something happen. 

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 6 of 8
Joewolf
Aspirant

The daisy chain rigmarole did the trick. It’s been stable for 48 hours now.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Ya, some how it got reversed in the FW. I believe since prior versions is't been enabled and back then we were asking for it to be turned off. Somehow the FW development got confused I think. Who knows. Smiley Frustrated Hopefully it will be corrected on next update. 

Enjoy. 

@Joewolf wrote:

The daisy chain rigmarole did the trick. It’s been stable for 48 hours now.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7