Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Installation

Hsilva92
Aspirant

Installation

Hello I purchased a used orbi rbk 50 on amazon..the previous owner never gave me his network name or password, everytime I try to install and connect it asks mentors connect to the network however I do not have the password to his network..how can I set up a new network name and password? I called tech support and they asked me to email them proof of purchase and a case number so they can transfer the serial number to my name..however I need wifi asap and I'm not sure how long it will be before they email me back..any advice?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Re: Installation

Not sure that I get this bit:

@Hsilva92 wrote:
....everytime I try to install and connect it asks mentors connect to the network however I do not have the password to his network..

You do not need to go through all that registering process if you simply want to set up the Orbi on your own network.

To remove any settings for network name or password for the previous owner's wifi, you just need to factory reset the device and go through the setup process described in the documentation. The reset will put everything back to the defaults that are on the label on the bottom.

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

The easiest way to set this up is probably to use the web browser, as described in the Quick Start Guide.

When the thing is working, you might get help with registering it to your account from one of the Netgear team here.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies

Not sure that I get this bit:

@Hsilva92 wrote:
....everytime I try to install and connect it asks mentors connect to the network however I do not have the password to his network..

You do not need to go through all that registering process if you simply want to set up the Orbi on your own network.

To remove any settings for network name or password for the previous owner's wifi, you just need to factory reset the device and go through the setup process described in the documentation. The reset will put everything back to the defaults that are on the label on the bottom.

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

The easiest way to set this up is probably to use the web browser, as described in the Quick Start Guide.

When the thing is working, you might get help with registering it to your account from one of the Netgear team here.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

@Hsilva92 wrote:
Hello I purchased a used orbi rbk 50 on amazon..the previous owner never gave me his network name or password, everytime I try to install and connect it asks mentors connect to the network however I do not have the password to his network..how can I set up a new network name and password? I called tech support and they asked me to email them proof of purchase and a case number so they can transfer the serial number to my name..however I need wifi asap and I'm not sure how long it will be before they email me back..any advice?
Message 3 of 11
Hsilva92
Aspirant

Ok Thanks much i will factory reset it now and update you guys when it's working thanks alot
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 5 of 11
Hsilva92
Aspirant

Sensei furry I'm sorry but im not sure where to find that information you are asking..I'm still learning these terms forgive my ignorance
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, What is the Manufacturer and model # of the modem the Orbi is connected too? There maybe a modem box near by that the Orbi is connected to, or may there is just a wall outlet where your plugging the Orbi base into the wall? 

@Hsilva92 wrote:
Sensei furry I'm sorry but im not sure where to find that information you are asking..I'm still learning these terms forgive my ignorance

Message 7 of 11
Hsilva92
Aspirant

Thanks for the info but I got it working now after resetting it..thanks for the help!
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Mark you post as solved so others will know for future ref. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Hsilva92 wrote:
Thanks for the info but I got it working now after resetting it..thanks for the help!

Message 9 of 11

Glad that worked out.

You might now want to start the process of getting the thing registered to you.

Best start a new discussion for that. Then we can point it at the people here who manage those things.

First create a MyNetgear account, if you haven't got one already.

MyNETGEAR | Login

You will need that to use some of the add on features of your Orbi, such a remote access. But for day to day use you don't need it.

Message 10 of 11
Hsilva92
Aspirant

I will make another post now thanks
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements