Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Installation

Dan1989
Aspirant

Installation

Hello,

I'm trying to get a complete uderstanding of how to properly setup my Orbi System. My apologies if this question or scenerio has been answered already. I currently have a Fios Quantum Gateway Modem/Router, Orbi RBR50 (router) and Orbi RBR40 (router).  So, i have my Fios Quantum set to Bridge mode with the WIFI "OFF" and i have my RBR50 connected in Router mode and being used as my main WIFI connection.  Now im trying to hook up my RBR40 across my house and have it hardwired.  Now when connecting it i get confused, do i connect from a LAN port of my RBR50 to the WAN or LAN on my RBR40?  Also i know i have to configure the RBR40 to AP mode too correct?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Installation

You would be connecting the RBR40 via it's WAN port as you would need to configure it for AP mode. Then it will get an IP address from the RBR50 thats in front of it. The RBR40 can only work in router mode or AP mode. RBRs can't work as satellites. 

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38is correct.  The RBR40 must be connected using its WAN (Yellow) port and be in Access Point (AP) mode.  If you want, you can give the RBR40 the same WiFi name (SSID) and password as the RBR50 and devices will connect to one or the other.  BUT... and this is a BIG "BUT", the RBR40 will not "mesh" with the RBR50.

Before there were mesh WiFi systems, the way to expand WiFi coverage was to add access points to the base WiFi system.  It was up to devices to decide which AP to use and when to disconnect from it and pick another one.  So, a portable device like a tablet or phone, might connect to one AP and stubbornly try to keep using it as the signal level fell (and fell, and fell) until eventually it dropped the signal completely.  Only then would it look around for an AP.  Since you have the RBR40, you can make use of it as long as you are not expecting it to become part of the "Orbi mech system."

Message 3 of 10
Dan1989
Aspirant

So I would connect my RBR50’s LAN port to my RBR40’s WAN port and setting it to AP mode correct?!? Would this show 2 Routers to connect to on my server?!? Will smart devices automatically connect to the stronger one when moving around the house or will I need to disconnect and connect manually?!? Also for the RBR40 I am trying to add as another access point with, can I hardwire to one of it’s LAN ports for a wired connection for a device or do I have to wire to a LAN port on the back of my Fios Modem?!?
Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Wireless device mostly pick which signal to connect too. 

You can connect any LAN device to the back of the RBR40 while in AP mode and get internet access. 

Message 5 of 10
Dan1989
Aspirant

Ok I’ll fool around with it. Thank you very much for your time and assistance, much appreciated
Message 6 of 10
Dan1989
Aspirant

Hey I'm really sorry. I need some more guidance.  How do i disable my Fios Quantum Modem.Router WIFI and put it into Bridge mode to have my ORBI act as my Wireless router?

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

If this is your FIOS box, the answers should be in this User Guide

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

Looks like page 38 is where you turn off the WiFi radios.

I scanned the almost 200 pages, and nothing "jumped out" about putting it into "bridge" or "passthru" mode.  FIOS may not allow that.

(Maybe call FIOS support and ask them?)

Message 8 of 10
Dan1989
Aspirant

Ok i put my Orbi RBR50 into AP mode.  Is there anyway to connect another RBR50 to it to extend the network range?

Message 9 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

This is a frequent question, and the answer is "yes, sort of."  An Orbi mesh system consists of (exactly) one router, plus satellite(s) - some people report having 5 or 6 satellites.  An Orbi "router" can never be attached as a satellite.  What can be done is connect this Orbi router as an Access Point.  Although it can be set up with the same WiFi name and password as the primary Orbi system, it will not be part of the "Orbi mesh network".  In other words, it will be the same as attaching a $50 WiFi "extender", except that (as far as I know), this extra Orbi router will have to be wired to the Orbi network, not connected over WiFi.

If you already have a surplus Orbi router and have no other use for it, then adding it as an access point may be useful, but it is certainly not as good as adding an Orbi satellite.

(This is the point where people with more experience than I have point out my errors.)

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7