Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Installing 2 different Orbi systems (RBS20 and RBK10)

nicks089
Follower

Installing 2 different Orbi systems (RBS20 and RBK10)

Hi, 

I have an RBS20 Router and Satellite installed (currently in AP mode) and I want a 3rd and 4th unit to extend the coverage. There's currently a good deal on an RBK10 Router and Satellite, and I wanted to know if I could mix these systems together?

I would install the RBK10 router in AP mode where the existing RBS20 Satellite is, and then run both satellite units in satellite mode. IS this possible to run both systems (4 units) with the same SSID/network?

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

You potentially could make something work but I wouldn't. The RBK10 system is the dual band orbi and not the triband orbi. As well as you don't want 2 orbi routers running on the same network if you want your seamless roaming to function properly. Basically, forcing something to work (if you could get it) would make your system unstable, not roam properly, and the rbk10 devices would run much slower than the triband versions. 

The satellites you can use?

rbs20

rbw30

rbs40

rbs40v

rbs50

rbs50y

these would all have the tri-band backhaul fo the rbk20 system and would be compatible. 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

From what others have posted, theyve tried to make the 1 series work with other Orbi systems and have failed. We can only presume the 1 series is not compatible with other Orbi systems. I would avoid mixing and trying to match up 1 series with other orbi systems. 

@nicks089 wrote:

Hi, 

I have an RBS20 Router and Satellite installed (currently in AP mode) and I want a 3rd and 4th unit to extend the coverage. There's currently a good deal on an RBK10 Router and Satellite, and I wanted to know if I could mix these systems together?

I would install the RBK10 router in AP mode where the existing RBS20 Satellite is, and then run both satellite units in satellite mode. IS this possible to run both systems (4 units) with the same SSID/network?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7