Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Installing Orbi CBR40 and RBR20 in 2 buildings

Aches
Aspirant

Installing Orbi CBR40 and RBR20 in 2 buildings

I want to have WiFi in a garage150 feet away.

In the main house I have installed CBR40 with 2 satellites and it preforms great. 150 feet away I have a 2 floor garage with a cement floor between the 2 floors.  I have a cat 6 network cable running from Switch the Orbi CBR40 is connected to the garage.  How do you recommend I configure the RBR20 and it satellite to provide WiFi to the garage?  Do I use the same SSID? 

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Installing Orbi CBR40 and RBR20 in 2 buildings

@Aches wrote:

In the main house I have installed CBR40 with 2 satellites and it preforms great. 150 feet away I have a 2 floor garage with a cement floor between the 2 floors.  I have a cat 6 network cable running from Switch the Orbi CBR40 is connected to the garage.  How do you recommend I configure the RBR20 and it satellite to provide WiFi to the garage?  Do I use the same SSID? 

The easiest installation will be to connect the RBR20's yellow (WAN) port to the CAT 6 cable, have it "come up", and then use the Orbi web interface to change it to Access Point (AP) mode.  This is on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Router/AP Mode.  That way, the primary Orbi will assign all IP addresses and you can manage all devices from the central unit.  You can do this in the same room with the primary Orbi using an ethernet patch cable, and then move it to the garage.  Would not want to be hiking 150ft. back and forth to troubleshoot this step!

The main issue is that the RBR20 network will not be "integrated" with the primary Orbi in terms of being a "mesh".  However, this is mitigated because of the 150ft. distance.  Chances are, a device that "roams" from one Orbi toward the other will lose connection and begin seeking another access point.  If they were in the same house, lack of roaming could be a serious issue.  Devices which do not move (desktop computers, TV's, smart plugs, garage door openers, pool controllers, etc. will be fine.

So, I would say, "Yes.  Go ahead and use the same WiFi name so you only have to keep track of one."

The concrete floor may be an issue.  You will know almost immediately once you sync the satellite to the RBR20, unplug it and move it to the other floor.  If the ring light doesn't turn BLUE, the concrete floor is a problem.

(Caveat: sometimes I give dumb advice, and someone promptly points out my errors.)

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Installing Orbi CBR40 and RBR20 in 2 buildings

Be sure to post about this in the Orbi with built in cable modem here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

Concrete and WiFi do not get alone. Wired will be preferred here. 

@Aches wrote:

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7