Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Installing Orbi behind ATT Pace 5268AC gateway

fljoemon
Guide

Installing Orbi behind ATT Pace 5268AC gateway

Folks,

Just got gigapower along with U-Verse TV and phone installed yesterday. While the Pace 5268AC is nice, it does not cover my entire house with WiFi, so I wanted to put a brand new Orbi behind it in Router mode. Question is when I connect the Orbi initially, will it be getting Internet from the Pace Gateway assuming I connect an ethernet cable from the LAN port of the Pace gateway to the WAN port of the Orbi. I plan to put the Pace gateway in DMZ+ mode to achieve the psuedo bridge and have the Orbi router do all my routing function. If someone hads done this successfully with a brand new Orbi, please let me know the exact steps you used.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
TheEther
Guru

There's no reason why the Orbi won't work with the Pace in DMZ+ mode.  The thing to be careful of is to make sure that the subnets of the Pace and Orbi don't conflict.  Yes, this is still a concern even though the Orbi and Pace will be sharing the public IP address.  Set up one to use something like 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0 and the other 192.168.2.x/255.255.255.0.  Connect the Orbi to the Pace.  Log into the Pace and point the DMZ+ device at the Orbi's MAC address.  Save the change and reboot both the Pace and the Orbi.  Confirm that the Orbi has a public IP.

Message 2 of 6
fljoemon
Guide

Thanks @TheEther for your reply ... I would keep everything same on the Pace gateway and will try changing the subnet on the Orbi router. My confusion is on when to do this. Should I do it after I set up DMZ+ on the Pace and reboot both the Pace & Orbi? Also to change the subnet on the Orbi, I am assuming that after I log in to the router using http://orbilogin.com, I go to ADVANCED -> Setup -> LAN Setup and in the LAN TCP/IP Box change the IP address to 192.168.2.1

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

@fljoemon wrote:

@thanks @TheEther for your reply ... I would keep everything same on the Pace gateway and will try changing the subnet on the Orbi router. My confusion is on when to do this. Should I do it after I set up DMZ+ on the Pace and reboot both the Pace & Orbi? 

You can do it before your connect the Orbi to the Pace.

Also to change the subnet on the Orbi, I am assuming that after I log in to the router using http://orbilogin.com, I go to ADVANCED -> Setup -> LAN Setup and in the LAN TCP/IP Box change the IP address to 192.168.2.1

Yes.  Your connection to the Orbi will drop once you save this change.  Force your device/computer to obtain a new IP address from the Orbi in the new subnet.  Then connect the Orbi to the Pace and set up DMZ+.

Message 4 of 6
fljoemon
Guide

@TheEther wrote: Yes.  Your connection to the Orbi will drop once you save this change.  Force your device/computer to obtain a new IP address from the Orbi in the new subnet.  Then connect the Orbi to the Pace and set up DMZ+.

Sorry to be a pest here .. just want to make sure I am doing the right thing .. forcing my computer to obtain a new IP address is done by ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew .. right?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

That'll work.  If it's wired, you can simply unplug and replug the cable.  If it's wireless, disconnect and reconnect.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7