Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent Connection

ORBIssues
Aspirant

Intermittent Connection

I use Sonos to listen to internet radio. Before I bought ORBI, I would have issues where the internet radio broadcast would frequently stop (and have to constantly be manually restarted, which was annoying), and I was often not able to control Sonos with the Sonos app on my mobile phone because the app would give an error message saying it couldn't connect to the network, which prohibited me from controlling Sonos. I purchased ORBI to solve these problems.

For the first couple of weeks, ORBI provided the solution I wanted. I was able to enjoy hours of uninterrupted radio broadcasts, and my phone was always instantly able to connect to the ORBI network, which allowed me to control Sonos via the Sonos app.

Now, I am back in the same boat again. The radio broadcast frequently drops out for a few seconds, and then starts up again. It's nice that it doesn't drop completely, and is able to restart itself again with me having to manually start it, but is still annoying in that the music is frequently interrupted.

Does anybody have any ideas, tips or best practices? It was working great for the first couple of weeks, so I know the capability is there. If anybody is aware of any settings that can be tweaked for improved performance, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. Kind regards...

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
cyberprashant
Luminary

Re: Intermittent Connection

Check your orbi firmware version. Orbi was rock-solid for a lot of people until recent update to version 1.12.0.18 including me. I had to downgrade and then block the upgrade (see page 5 of the 1.12.0 .18 discussion thread)
Message 2 of 4
ORBIssues
Aspirant

Hello and thanks for the prompt response. I thought I had found the discussion thread you mentioned, but did not see anything on page five about downgrading the firmware version and then blocking the upgrade. When I type "1.12.0.18" as the search topic, multiple discussion threads come up, so perhaps I was looking at the wrong one. Would it be possible for you to post a link to the exact page you are referring to? Thanks and I appreciate your help!

Message 3 of 4
cyberprashant
Luminary

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

1. downgrade first (google Search for netgear RBK50 downloads - upload old firmware - go to the one previous to the current one  1.11.02.20. 

2. Then follow above to prevent it from auto-upgrading again (o/w within minutes it will autoupgrade again). 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7