Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent disconnection of wifi after upgrading firmware to 2.5.1.8

pawan2003
Initiate

Intermittent disconnection of wifi after upgrading firmware to 2.5.1.8

Hi All!

Ever since I upgraded my firmware to version 2.5.18, my wifi seems to disconnect frequently. This is particularly felt while using apple products. Also, my phone and ipad tend to connect directly to the router instead of the satellite located close by.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Intermittent disconnection of wifi after upgrading firmware to 2.5.1.8

@pawan2003 wrote:

Hi All!

Ever since I upgraded my firmware to version 2.5.18, my wifi seems to disconnect frequently. This is particularly felt while using apple products. Also, my phone and ipad tend to connect directly to the router instead of the satellite located close by.

2.5.18 has issues....get rid of it

Why did you upgrade?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@pawan2003 wrote:

Hi All!

2.5.18 has issues....get rid of it

Why did you upgrade?

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-model-RBR50-keeps-dropping-connection-during-Zoom-calls/m...

@pawan2003 wrote:

Hi All!

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

factory resets are for loss password

Message 4 of 8
pawan2003
Initiate

Thanks! I downgraded the firmware to 2.3.5.30 and the network stabilized.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@pawan2003 wrote:

Nice work.

Tip:  If your system is working it's best to leave it alone.  NG will auto-push any that contain critical updates.

Stay safe.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time, try a factory reset the next time you update FW and run into problems. Its a good trouble shooting step. My system is solid on v2.5.1.8 as is others. 

You can try Voxels FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...

Enjoy. 

@pawan2003 wrote:

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Next time, try a factory reset the next time you update FW and run into problems. 

Enjoy. 

@pawan2003 wrote:

factory resets are for lost password

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7