Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent internet connectivity outage with Orbi?

Mikey94025
Hero

Intermittent internet connectivity outage with Orbi?

I just installed my new Orbi router yesterday, replacing a Nighthawk R8500.  I believe that overall wireless coverage has improved, though top-end performance is not quite as high (measured via fast.com).  That's fine for me, and the only router feature I miss is being able to have separate 2.4Ghz vs. 5Ghz SSIDs (so I'm grudgingly switching to the new-fangled way of naming the two wireless networks the same),

I've upgraded the Orbi firmware to the latest available - V1.2.0.6.  What's concerning is that my 2 Nest cameras (Dropcam Pros) have individually reported going offline today at 7:12am, 10:58am, 1:12pm.  I didn't notice any internet outage myself today.  Each time I receive the offline email I check and the camears are online again.  I never received these before today while using my R8500 or older wireless routers, so it's not Nest/Dropcam.

I looked at the Orbi admin website Interrnet Port... Show Statistics and it shows WAN/LAN/WLAN up time for the entire day (i.e., no reset and up times > 14 hours).  I also looked at Advanced... Administration... Logs during the offline times and other than spurious [DoS Attack: RST Scan] entries (that normally appear throughout the logs), nothing seems to indicate an outage.

Has anyone else notice camera outages?  Thoughts on what this might be?  I'm hoping that a firmware update will iron out these intermittent outages.

Message 1 of 246

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Hero

I read in the other "Ring Door Bell" thread that a customer had better results after disabling "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING".  So I tried that just to see what happens.  It's probably too early to tell yet, but my 2 Nest cameras have only disconnected once in the past 2 days and I think that's because there was a power outage at my house today (I wasn't home and both cameras went out at the same time, something the intermittent outages haven't done).

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 246

All Replies
loomis1975
Luminary

In your admin log are you seeing DHCP IP messages with the IPs of your cameras right around the time they are loosing connection?

Message 2 of 246
dmystic1
Apprentice

I have 4 Nest Cams and they randomly go offline here too.

Message 3 of 246
Mikey94025
Hero

In your admin log are you seeing DHCP IP messages with the IPs of your cameras right around the time they are loosing connection?

Yes, another camera went offline at 2:25pm and I see this in the admin log for its MAC 308cfb2f1edc where it acquire DHCP again at 2:21pm:

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.103] to MAC address 30:8c:fb:2f:1e:dc, Sunday, September 25, 2016 14:41:27
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 108.160.172.193, port 443, Sunday, September 25, 2016 14:37:45
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.106, Sunday, September 25, 2016 14:33:41
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.138] to MAC address 12:bf:60:06:9c:e6, Sunday, September 25, 2016 14:33:21
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 108.160.172.225, port 443, Sunday, September 25, 2016 14:32:07
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 108.160.172.193, port 443, Sunday, September 25, 2016 14:23:06
[LAN access from remote] from 173.208.215.242:62085 to 192.168.1.168:3389, Sunday, September 25, 2016 14:17:48
[LAN access from remote] from 63.141.246.114:50597 to 192.168.1.168:3389, Sunday, September 25, 2016 14:17:11
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 108.160.172.193, port 443, Sunday, September 25, 2016 14:12:12

Message 4 of 246
seany187
Star

I also have a Nest Outdoor camera and I have full signal and speed test of 150mbps where its located. It also randomly goes offline at times with Orbi, but didn't with my R8500. I have a feeling it has something to do with the Nest keeps trying to connect to the base vs the sattelite. I also don't see the Nest name in the attached devices, can anyone see the name?

Message 5 of 246
dmystic1
Apprentice

They are just listed as unknown like many of my other devices.
Message 6 of 246
cggggg
Tutor

I have several nest cams and everyone one of them has been going offline every hour or so. This is definitely something netgear needs to address. Tried rebooting the orbi, the modem, and even reinstalling the nest cams. All to no avail. The speed of my Eero was not as fast, but at least it stayed connected.

Message 7 of 246
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I looked at the Tech specs of the Nest cameras it says it can connect to both 2.4 and 5ghz networks I am wondering that maybe it keeps switching between those networks on the orbi with its band steering feature and it is causing the drop. So question is can you set your Nest cams to use only 1 of the wireless bands?

DarrenM

Message 8 of 246
loomis1975
Luminary

I am getting the most drops and quick pick back ups from devices that are dual band.  Most of them have no way of telling them not to use one of the bands (xbox one, which I believe is an N device, Nexus Player, which is an AC device, Ipad Air, which is a MIMO N device, etc.)  For a while there I was getting a lot of drops from a laptop that could only do 2.4 Ghz though.

Message 9 of 246
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone 

Can you guys provided me the model number of your nest cams that are having this issue we are looking into testing the problem.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 10 of 246
Mikey94025
Hero

My 2 Nest cameras are Model = Dropcam Pro, Software = 205-600052.  These were purchased from Dropcam before the Google acquisition.

Message 11 of 246
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Thanks for sharing that info I will keep you up to date as soon as I hear something.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 246
dmystic1
Apprentice

I have an Outdoor Nest Cam, 2 regular Nest Cam's, and a Dropcam Pro.

Message 13 of 246
seany187
Star

I also have the Nest Outdoor Camera. I have full bars next to the camera and speedtest gives me 100mbps.  It seems to just randomly disconnect. Sometimes very often, sometimes a little.

Message 14 of 246
cggggg
Tutor

I have 6 indoor nest cams, all of them are model A00005.

Message 15 of 246
Endorphine71
Apprentice

I am also seeing this problem with all three of my Nest Cam's, and never had a problem with my Nighthawk X6 - R8000.

They loose connection at 2-3 times in a 24 hour period, and do not reconnect for another 10-15 minutes.

Here are my models:

1.  New: NestCam Outdoor, Software: 214-610025

2.  Newer: NestCam Pro, Software: 205-600052

3.  Older: DropCam Pro, Software: 205-600052

Message 16 of 246
Mikey94025
Hero

I read in the other "Ring Door Bell" thread that a customer had better results after disabling "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING".  So I tried that just to see what happens.  It's probably too early to tell yet, but my 2 Nest cameras have only disconnected once in the past 2 days and I think that's because there was a power outage at my house today (I wasn't home and both cameras went out at the same time, something the intermittent outages haven't done).

Message 17 of 246
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Mikey94025

Thank you for letting us know about that I will let the engineers know and have them test it as well.

DarrenM

Message 18 of 246

i believe the ring door bell issue is more that it doesnt support single ssid names as suggested by its own support site 

if however disabling implicit beamforming improves things it suggest the connecting devices are not fully compatable with the wireless AC standard and or beamforming standard 

the down side is by disabling implicit beamforming your older devices may not work as well coverage wise 

pete

Message 19 of 246
cldeal
Guide

I have clients that periodically disconnect also, and I know that they're 802.11ac compliant.  Hopefully, a quick firmware update will address this.

Message 20 of 246
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello cldeal

Have you already tried adjusting the wireless channel?

DarrenM

Message 21 of 246
cldeal
Guide

No, but with the channel they're using, channel 48, there's nothing else transmitting.  My other 5GHz routers are using channel 36.

Message 22 of 246
Endorphine71
Apprentice

All three of my Nest Cams keep disconnecting multiple times a day and then connecting to the Orbi that is the furthest away.

Not making much sense.  My one Nest cam is sitting six feet from the Satelite but keeps connecting to the routher that is upstairs and 40-50 feet away.  Same with my XBox One that is even closer.  I also had the Satelite totally disconnect and not show up in the web interface.  Had to do a power cycle it to get it back up.

Hopefully the band steering and issues get fixed soon.  😞

Message 23 of 246
Endorphine71
Apprentice

Well... now my Playstation 4 will not connect to the Orbi no matter what I do.  I had to do a full reboot on the Router and Satelite before it would connect again.

I also turned off the beamforming option.  We will see if this improves the connections issues with the Nest Cams, XBox and PS4.  Really starting to think I might need to return this before my time is up it is running so buggy.  The admin panel is missing a lot of basic info on connection info.  

Message 24 of 246
cggggg
Tutor

Where is the firmware update? Are they even working on a solution? I am about ready to return this to the store.

Message 25 of 246
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7