Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent internet connectivity outage with Orbi?

nitrogen1
Guide

I ended up getting an eero for comparison testing as I was going crazy with satelite placement and not being sure if anything connected to satellite.
Glad I did because I have had zero issues with the eero setup. So I'm going to forget about the mu-mimo support and the triband theory for a mesh network that actually works. Netgear rushed the release of this product and that is simply unacceptable for a large company, this is more of a beta or alpha product that needs a lot more work to be ready.
There is also amplifi hd I want go try for comparison once it ships. But as of now the eero has a much wider range, much faster speeds, and a real app that goes with it. Sorry to say but Orbi is going back because it couldn't do the one thing I needed it to, provide reliable wifi.
Message 51 of 246

@nitrogen1 wrote:
I ended up getting an eero for comparison testing as I was going crazy with satelite placement and not being sure if anything connected to satellite.
Glad I did because I have had zero issues with the eero setup. So I'm going to forget about the mu-mimo support and the triband theory for a mesh network that actually works. Netgear rushed the release of this product and that is simply unacceptable for a large company, this is more of a beta or alpha product that needs a lot more work to be ready.
There is also amplifi hd I want go try for comparison once it ships. But as of now the eero has a much wider range, much faster speeds, and a real app that goes with it. Sorry to say but Orbi is going back because it couldn't do the one thing I needed it to, provide reliable wifi.

you might want to look at the Cnet review of the orbi and specifically the wifi testing

https://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-orbi-wifi-system/review/2/

the orbi system is far better wifi wise when compared to the eero

the amplifi hd review below

http://www.digitaltrends.com/router-access-point-reviews/ubiquiti-amplifi-hd-review/

doesnt excite ether

• No parental controls or QoS
  • No remote access or active USB port yet

No MU-MIMO

and its mesh system flood smaller apartments

and it overall only gets a 6 / 10 for its review

the only real upside to the amplifi hd is its 1300M wifi

Message 52 of 246
nitrogen1
Guide

You can't really say that the orbi system is better when out of the box it simply didn't work. It drops data out of the box, it's ridiculous to have to scan the Internet to get your $400 router to work.
And I'm aware that is is the only one of those that has mu-mimo and beam forming ( that doesn't work) but most client devices don't have mu mimo support so it only works one way. And it really doesn't do me any good when the non mumimo devices have performed (at least thexpensive eero) much faster consistently. The orbi simply does not compare for me even with the extra features. I also feel the satelite for the orbi is very buggy. I was not able to get a full wifi signal being 2 feet away from it.
Can't always trust what you read online. Just because a spec sheet looks good doesn't mean the execution was good.
I'm not steering people away from it, but I did want to share my finding in a head to head comparison. Maybe in 15 firmware updates from now I'll take another look, but these new technologies in the orbi are simply not well executed. It might work in a easy to network home, but it doesn't solve the problem it promises to solve for difficult homes with dead spots. And as mentioned earlier, thus type of execution is not acceptable from a large company. Those are just my personal views and experiences.
Message 53 of 246

works here mate . have the best wifi i have ever had and the whole family is happy with it , it is a possibility you have a faulty unit

Message 54 of 246
cggggg
Tutor

I have several nest cams that are constantly loosing connection with my Orbi. Once I disabled beam forming, I have not had a single disconnect. Netgear needs to address this pronto. Where is the next firmware update already. 

Message 55 of 246

@cggggg wrote:

I have several nest cams that are constantly loosing connection with my Orbi. Once I disabled beam forming, I have not had a single disconnect. Netgear needs to address this pronto. Where is the next firmware update already. 

the issue isnt netgear , its the devices not working well with beam forming 

Message 56 of 246
faderbox
Aspirant

I have been using my Nest Cam's with other routers like the Airport Extreme which implement beamforming with no problem. When I switched to Orbi I had to disable the feature because it is causing problems. I don't think the issue is the Nest Cam (one of the most popular web cams.) This would have been a very public out cry from customers and you'd see comments all over the internet. Clearly, this is the case of a router that has not implemented beamforming very well. The fact that no staff from Netgear are commenting on this issue is upsetting.

Message 57 of 246

@faderbox wrote:

I have been using my Nest Cam's with other routers like the Airport Extreme which implement beamforming with no problem. When I switched to Orbi I had to disable the feature because it is causing problems. I don't think the issue is the Nest Cam (one of the most popular web cams.) This would have been a very public out cry from customers and you'd see comments all over the internet. Clearly, this is the case of a router that has not implemented beamforming very well. The fact that no staff from Netgear are commenting on this is more evidence.

the extreme only has explicit beamforming so is not effected , implicit effects non mimo clients 

yes again because its not enabled on apple routers

again its not the router as such , its the fact imnplicit beamforming is not used in many routers so far 

you need to understand the difference between implicit and explicit beamforming 

Message 58 of 246
faderbox
Aspirant

While helpful to know that there are all types of beamforming I think you are giving Netgear too much credit here. Pushing off the problem on others is not addressing the issue. The reality is the Netgear Orbi product is not working out of the box with popular IoT devices and there are multiple threads on this forum attesting to it. It's not specific to just one vendor of cameras. Worse, Netgear is not offically responding to a thread with >55 posts. I do not know who you are and whether you work for the company or are actually trying to help me. What I expect and I think we all deserve is an official response from the company. This is getting ridiculous.

Message 59 of 246

@faderbox wrote:

While helpful to know that there are all types of beamforming I think you are giving Netgear too much credit here. Pushing off the problem on others is not addressing the issue. The reality is the Netgear Orbi product is not working out of the box with popular IoT devices and there are multiple threads on this forum attesting to it. It's not specific to just one vendor of cameras. Worse, Netgear is not offically responding to a thread with >55 posts. I do not know who you are and whether you work for the company or are actually trying to help me. What I expect and I think we all deserve is an official response from the company. This is getting ridiculous.

it works out of the box for many as posted above , some have issues and the work around is to disable implicit beamforming because the 2.4 gig clients cant handle it , it the client thats the issue and the work aound resolves the issue 

i do agree that firmware is needing to be released that disables implicit beamforming until it can be resolved for 2.4 gig clients 

fyi i dont work for netgear 

Message 60 of 246
dsc_dewain
Guide

I too have had random disconnects off the network, the laptop is hard wired to the router, the disconnects to appear for some reason late morning, and some times at night.  May be other times, but just haven't noticed.

Message 61 of 246
dsc_dewain
Guide

Just adding log lines, the time stamps appear to be 4 hours off, not sure where to fix that.

Not sure if the 'attacks' are causing issues.

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 31.13.69.226, port 443, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:33:21
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.12] to MAC address f8:f1:b6:d9:b2:ce, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:30:43
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.10] to MAC address ac:3c:0b:38:44:07, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:30:28
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.112, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:23:36
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 199.4.160.29, port 443, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:12:55
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 206.190.57.61, port 443, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:12:45
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 199.4.160.29, port 443, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:10:53
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 92.222.85.168, port 80, Friday, October 14, 2016 06:49:30
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 31.13.69.195, port 443, Friday, October 14, 2016 06:43:12
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.112] to MAC address ec:f4:bb:1b:19:82, Friday, October 14, 2016 06:42:35
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 31.13.69.195, port 443, Friday, October 14, 2016 06:41:57
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.4] to MAC address a0:04:60:0e:a9:b4, Friday, October 14, 2016 06:11:21
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.22] to MAC address 90:02:a9:69:d6:09, Friday, October 14, 2016 06:00:33
[DoS Attack: TCP/UDP Chargen] from source: 185.94.111.1, port 58473, Friday, October 14, 2016 05:56:28

Message 62 of 246
faderbox
Aspirant

Any update from Netgear regarding when Orbi will support the Indoor Nest Cam item model #NC1102ES with beamforming enabled? I have had to disable beamforming to prevent all of my Indeoor Nest Cam's from constantly disconnecting.

Can someone from Netgear please chime in on this thread?

Message 63 of 246

@dsc_dewain wrote:

Just adding log lines, the time stamps appear to be 4 hours off, not sure where to fix that.

Not sure if the 'attacks' are causing issues.

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 31.13.69.226, port 443, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:33:21
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.12] to MAC address f8:f1:b6:d9:b2:ce, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:30:43
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.10] to MAC address ac:3c:0b:38:44:07, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:30:28
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.112, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:23:36
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 199.4.160.29, port 443, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:12:55
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 206.190.57.61, port 443, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:12:45
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 199.4.160.29, port 443, Friday, October 14, 2016 07:10:53
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 92.222.85.168, port 80, Friday, October 14, 2016 06:49:30
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 31.13.69.195, port 443, Friday, October 14, 2016 06:43:12
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.112] to MAC address ec:f4:bb:1b:19:82, Friday, October 14, 2016 06:42:35
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 31.13.69.195, port 443, Friday, October 14, 2016 06:41:57
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.4] to MAC address a0:04:60:0e:a9:b4, Friday, October 14, 2016 06:11:21
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.22] to MAC address 90:02:a9:69:d6:09, Friday, October 14, 2016 06:00:33
[DoS Attack: TCP/UDP Chargen] from source: 185.94.111.1, port 58473, Friday, October 14, 2016 05:56:28

the dos attacks are more than likley dead torrents you have downloaded then closed , if there is lots it could swamp the nat table

Message 64 of 246
verdugan
Star

Has everybody opened a ticket with Netgear? I did and they asked me a couple of questions over email.

They followed up with a phone call. They said there will be a firmware update this month and they hope it will fix this issue.

Fingers crossed.
Message 65 of 246
loomis1975
Luminary

I had a ticket open for the last three weeks I think.  It ended with something to the effect of, "above tier 2 has analyzed it and hopes the next firmware release will help" and "turn off beamforming and tell us if that seems to make any difference"  I turned off beamforming, but still have a ton of quick disconnects and reconnects.  Overall, it still works very well, just not the most reliable for most devices.  Big problem is one of those devices is the laptop my wife programs on and no matter where she uses it (same room as router, or same room as satellite), she gets the most noticeble disconnects and reconnects many times a day.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 66 of 246
verdugan
Star

That sucks about your wife's laptop.

When I turned off beamforming, I haven't experienced disconnects in any other devices and my cameras are ok.
Message 67 of 246
dsc_dewain
Guide

Wow, not just wireless issue, I'm hardwired and every day got disconnected.
Message 68 of 246

@verdugan wrote:
Has everybody opened a ticket with Netgear? I did and they asked me a couple of questions over email.

They followed up with a phone call. They said there will be a firmware update this month and they hope it will fix this issue.

Fingers crossed.

i think you find its early november b4 its released

Message 69 of 246
Mikey94025
Hero

Wow, not just wireless issue, I'm hardwired and every day got disconnected.

Do you get router log entries indicating these disconnects?  I haven't received any more dropcam disconnects (they get flagged) since disabling implicit beamforming, but maybe the dropcams don't alert if the disconnect is very brief.  So I'd like to see if any of your specific log entries appear in my router log.

Message 70 of 246
dsc_dewain
Guide

I don't see disconnects but this morning when I checked i did see an Internet Connection logged between 4 hour window I hadnt used it, and my work vpn was disconnected again.  Work VPN has never been an issue with connectivity. Only since I installed this new router.

Message 71 of 246
verdugan
Star

And I'm out. Orbi went back.

With the latest firmware, the disconnects went from every couple of hours to a couple of times a day (with beamforming on.)

Of course, with beamforming off, there were no disconnects, but range sufferd and my MS Surface 3 Pro had very slow speeds, even 5 feet away from the router. I was getting 1/4 of the speeds I have with Comcast in my Surface.

Oh well, I was hoping Orbi would be a keeper, but it's not ready for primetime.

Message 72 of 246
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: And I'm out. Orbi went back.

In my case I have beamforming off so that my Dropcams don't disconnect.  I have not noticed any speed or range issues with my Surface Book and I'm getting170-200Mbps wireless (fast.com), which is about the same that I was previously getting with my R8000.  I haven't noticed any differences with our iPhones or iPads either.  I do hope we have "better" or "more complete" wireless coverage within the house because of the extra satellite.

Message 73 of 246
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone

We just released Firmware version 1.4.0.16 which was a big updates with performance and bug fixes as well as guest network has anyone updated to this firmware that is using Nest cams to see if it has improved the performance of the Nest cams? If so please let me know if any new problems are happening with the latest firmware or if it has resolved the issues.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 74 of 246
seany187
Star

Darren,

Thanks for the update. Should we turn Beamforming back on and test?

Sean

Message 75 of 246
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7