Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent internet connectivity outage with Orbi?

jewelr
Initiate

I am having the same issue as well. Is there any updates on this?

Message 101 of 246
Forest
Tutor

I have been using the Orbi for 3 weeks now and have generally been happy. I updated the software as soon as I was able to sync the hardware. The satellite unit was fairly difficult to manually update (because it wouldnt automatically update when selected) but I eventually was able to. With the experience I have listed below I would also like to note that I began the process with a new wireless network name and password which some have said has created another level of headache.

I have not disabled beamforming and have only had issues with 2 out of 4 of my Nest Cam's, none of my nest protects (Smoke alarms) and no problems with my Nest Thermostat. The cameras will jump off line for about 10 minutes 2-3 times a week with full wireless signal strength. I had to delete all Nest Products from the deleated and reloaded Nest App and then re-add them one by one like the initial installation process to get them to work with the new network. I also deleated my WEMO app and reloaded the switches and switched outlets one by one to adapt to the new network. They have had no issue at all in the last 3 weeks. I have a Ring doorbell system that I did the same thing with and it also has been working fine. I would add to anyone that is having difficulty with Nest, Wemo, or Ring that they all had an initial difficult time finding the new network. I read on Nest threads that the 5ghz band was the probelm area. What ever it was it took most of 3 hours to get the Nest products to recognize the new network and about an hour to get Ring and Wemo to recognize it the next morning.

Synopsis: Overall I am pleased and it is much faster than the old Netgear N600 we had running. My home is only 1500 sq. ft. with a detached garage and signal strength is no longer a problem. Comcast on the otherhand is a whole different beast!:)

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 102 of 246
troybarwick
Initiate

Just received today.  Installed latest firmware and all of my Nest cams were dropping.  Totally unsat!  How can you not test your router with the Nest cams?  Shame on Netgear!!  I am returning this and will get Eero or Google.

Message 103 of 246
jewelr
Initiate

I am thinking about going with Amplifi.

Message 104 of 246
Guytech
Apprentice

Hi everyone. Sorry to see there is still so much frustration out there. I eventually found a temporary solution to my problem. Not ideal, but giving me the best of both worlds. I have a Synology router that I installed as router. It has excellent software and capabilities with an excellent mobile app. It's WiFi is not good, especially 5GHz. I set the Orbi up in AP mode and now I have great coverage and the functionality of the Synology! I have'nt had any issues yet. I hope this might help some of you until Netgear gets something better going.

Message 105 of 246
dekka007
Apprentice

I found if the Sat was to close to the router was getting dropouts. i moved the sat further away from
orbi router and at the moment seems better.
Message 106 of 246
JMU1998
Luminary

Re: And I'm out. Orbi went back.

After many tests with both 16 and 18 Firmware and factory reset and a week of observation I have found out that beamforming is buggy in 18 version especially with iOS devices, disabling it helps but that is not the answer for a $400 machine.

Message 107 of 246
JMU1998
Luminary

Will the next version of the firmware address the random drop issues with beamforming enabled?

Message 108 of 246
tim618
Initiate

Just wanted to give an update. I disabled beamforming and experienced no dropouts at all with my nest products. nest had already done a replacement on my 3 indoor cams and they were on the way so i swapped them out when they came in, That was about 10 days ago and i have had 0 drops. I wil leave beam forming disabled as I haven't really noticed any adverse affects, other than just a little slower throughput on devices. I agree with everyone, this is not what we should have to do with a 400$ system.

Message 109 of 246
dekka007
Apprentice

Spoke to soon.  After about 4-5 days on .18 the dropouts have returned.   Nothing changed on the network or the orbi settings.  Was rock solid for a few days then back to dropouts.

I have rebooted the router and sat and will see if it is solid for a few days again before the dropouts start...

I am baffled why it only starts after a few days.  Router Memory leak?

Message 110 of 246
Mikey94025
Hero

My Nest cameras started losing connectivity within a few hours of enabling beamforming with .18.  And after disabling it again, they've been rock solid for weeks.  My advice -- For now just uncheck "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING".

Message 111 of 246
dekka007
Apprentice

Drops are occuring for me on all apple
devices not just restricted to Nest.

The performance hit with beam
forming disabled in my house is dramatic 50%+ drop in throughput.

the strange part is the dropouts on apple
devices only occurs about 3-5 days after a router reboot.
Message 112 of 246
JMU1998
Luminary

Beamforming is a desirable feature and a $400 piece of equipment should support this and we should not have to disable this all competitors there is no issues...  netgear needs to release new Firmware to fix the issue or they will loose out to competition very quickly 

Message 113 of 246
JMU1998
Luminary

I have been mentioning this eversince 18 came out it is not stable for iOS devices reboots every other day, factory resets weekly or disabling beamforming is NOT the solution.  I best hopes are Netgear Engineering are reading these posts from loyal customers who know that Orbi has tremendous potential and is a matter of a solid stable Firmware 

Message 114 of 246
troybarwick
Initiate

I returned it today.  Never again with Netgear.  

Message 115 of 246
bsholbrook
Apprentice

In advanced turn off beam forming and the nests will connect no issue.  This is a known issue that you can find multiple posts on.  Net gear is working on this already, that result lives the issue for time being.

Message 116 of 246
bsholbrook
Apprentice

While I'm sure it's frustrating to those with issues, Here there is plenty of noise from more than 10 wifi networks that are viewable from surrounding neighbors and with more than 30 devices on home Orbi network we are not having any connectivity issues what so ever.  I turned off beam fioming and Mu-Mimo are set the MTU (I think that's the setting) down from 2447 to 2446.  We are heavy home automation, drop cam, nest, and iOS users with Multiple video streams and airplay activities being a norm over Christmas break.  In the last week to ten days We have had no problems operating on .18 firmware.

I would like to turn those features on at some point, hopefully netgear can resolve

Message 117 of 246
jmbarbs
Apprentice

Anyone had any update re drop outs with Orbi and nest cams? I have 2 internal cams and 2 external and all drop periodically if i turn on beamforming. As suggested have turned off in Advanced settigs for now until Netgear find a fix, but its frustrating and not what i expect for a router of this price

Message 118 of 246
samwisegardener
Initiate

Message 119 of 246
bsholbrook
Apprentice

I suspect most of the developers won't get back to a regular schedule until Monday or Tuesday.

Nest working here without beam forming, I too would like to turn this feature on, besides price it's one of the features highlighted on the packaging and marketing
Message 120 of 246
JMU1998
Luminary

That is the hope the new Firmware will address this issue and also instability for iOS devices connection drops 

Message 121 of 246
mikebees
Guide

Just to add $.02. 

1. Nest Cam loose connectivity frequently even with implicit beam forming turned off. 

2. Did not have this issue before installing ORBI system. 

3. In the past I have steered away from Netgear products bc of previous experience with netgear bugs not be resolved. 

4. Like the Orbi system other that the issue Nest is having. 

5. I would be nice to see what is attached where in consolidated view. 

Message 122 of 246
JMU1998
Luminary

I sure do hope Netgear Engineering is working on new Firmware because many are running out of patience and will start looking at competitors solutions many to choose from now...

Message 123 of 246
JMU1998
Luminary

I have been able to mitigate this to an extent by rolling back to 1.4.0.16 with a factory reset this same issue started in 1.4.0.18 and persist in 1.4.0.34 Netgear Engineering read these threads and posts so hopefully they are working on next Firmware with a resolution. 

Message 124 of 246

I really wanted the Orbi but due to the Nest issues I decided to go with Google WiFi instead.  It's been great so far and there are no issues what-so-ever with the Nest/Dropcam camera.

Message 125 of 246
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7