Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent internet connectivity outage with Orbi?

alkizz
Aspirant

HI Mikey, I sent you a message.

Also, QoS was not "on" by default but there is no visible option to enable or disable it. There is only an option to run a speedtest, which I assumed enables QoS. I have run a speedtest.

On the hidden QoS pages I've looked at it, Upstream QoS was enabled and rate limited to 512kbps. I have since disabled that and have not had any disconnects while leaving all other options enabled (Beamforming, WMM, Downstream QoS, etc). My results so far anyway.

One thing i did notice on the Nest Cam is that the video quality was set to AUTO. One of my working theories was that the Nest Cam switches between modes horking up the upstream QoS.

For testing purposes, I cranked mine up to 1080p full time to try and trigger a disconnect.

Message 176 of 246
alkizz
Aspirant

Back to the drawing board! Nest Cam went offline. I logged into Orbi and the camera and my nest thermostat were both not in the attached devices list.

SIGH!

Now working theory is that Smart Home devices don't play well on 5Ghz channel (just confirmed my nest devices can use 2.4 or 5) or that 2.4 channel set to auto is causing trouble when it switches to a different channel.

First I will set a static channel to 7 for the 2.4 band. Will post results later if we go offline again.

Implicit Beamforming is starting to look more likely as the culprit. (As others have pointed out)

wifi.png

DISREGARD messages 172,173, 174 and 176

Message 177 of 246

for 2.4 gig use ether ch 1 , 6 or 11 as they are the only ones that do not overlap with other channels

Message 178 of 246
alkizz
Aspirant

done. No disconnets so far after disabling auto assignment of 2.4.

Message 179 of 246

yup its pretty well known that auto just doesnt work well no matter what router or wifi you use for both 2.4 and 5 gig

Message 180 of 246
alkizz
Aspirant

Welp, it's not auto 2.4 channel assignment.

I also set up reserved addresses for the nest stuff... that's not it either.

So now we're back to Implicit beamforming. Quite surprised by this but it is what it is.

Message 181 of 246
alkizz
Aspirant

Could be interesting to note that the DHCP lease is 24hrs on the orbi and several disconnects were 24 hours apart. Could just be coincidence.

Trying out disabling implicit beamforming.

Message 182 of 246
crankycder
Tutor

FWIW - I just enabled the implicit beam forming and MU-MIMO options two days ago and started to get drops in my Nestcam.

I never got drops before that.

I've disabled the implicit beam forming now - I'll follow up on any changes in wifi drops.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 183 of 246
bsholbrook
Apprentice

Nest cams are stable when beamforming is off. I've been running with that config for several months.
Message 184 of 246
stavrosg
Star

Can's say about 2.4ghz devices, 1.9 works awesome for me. MIMO and BF on.

Have you done the update?

Message 185 of 246
crankycder
Tutor

Beam forming definitely caused my issues on 1.8.0.6.

All better now. Haven't tried upgrading to 1.9 yet.
Message 186 of 246
crankycder
Tutor

Hrm.  Beam forming still causes issues in 1.9.12 for me.

Message 187 of 246
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

I've been following this thread for a few months now since I too have the issue of the NEST outdoor cam dropping/going offline when Implicit Beamforming is enabled.  When I installed my NEST cam, it would go offline at least once every hour.  i found this thread, disabled beamforming, and the NEST cam does not go offline at all.  I've tried to re-enable beamforming after each Orbi firmware release, and I'm also on 1.9.1.12 and my NEST cam is perfect with beamforming disabled.  As soon as I re-enable beamforming, back offline.  Crazy...  Not sure how beamforming causes the NEST cam to go offline, but I've tried everyhting else, including suggestions given by folks in this thread, and that is the only thing that causes my NEST drops.  Hopefully NETGEAR can give us an idea on what the root cause is.

Message 188 of 246
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello MeGrimlock

We have a beta firmware for the issues with Nest cams with beam forming if you would like to test this PM me your contact info.

DarrenM

Message 189 of 246
davida425
Guide

Have had the beta version for about 3 weeks with beamfoming then turned on and zero drops since!
Message 190 of 246
jmbarbs
Apprentice

I am on beta and had zero disconnections on iOS since installing however when put beamformimg on have had few drops on nest cams. Serious improvement in overall stability though with the beta 

Message 191 of 246
StephenSegari
Initiate

DarrenM,

I am a new Orbi owner, and am having the connectivity issues with my 4 NestCam's when beamforming is turned on.  I'd be happy to test the BETA firmware for you.

Thanks,

Stephen

Message 192 of 246
bsholbrook
Apprentice

I can also say that beamforming related nest drops the newest beta are not perfect, but greatly reduced.
Message 193 of 246
StephenSegari
Initiate

Sounds promising.  I'm just happy they are working on it.  Coming from a software engineering background, these things take time for sure.

Message 194 of 246
mrhoni
Aspirant

I have this issue as well.  One additional reason I wonder about the problem in my case is the wifi signal strength.  Using the orbi app on my iphone I see just one bar of signal strength.  I have a satellite orbi within 15-20 feet of the nest cam.  The nest cam is outside the front door and is housed in a 3rd party shell for outdoor use.

I also have an apple tv in another room where an additional satellite is within 15 feet of the apple tv with no obstructions.  This shows 2 bars on the wifi signal in the Orbi app. 

Message 195 of 246
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Could these drops have anything to do with the backhaul connection constantly dropping from the router to the satellite? I am seeing this about every 10 seconds and sometimes it is so fast that it doesnt matter but other times all devices drop. Does anyone else have these type of results if you watch the signals on Wi-Fi Analyzer or some other method?Screenshot_2017-05-05-11-24-44-1.png

Message 196 of 246
fstockel
Star

Beta firmware solved my problem with WAN disconnects (not a single disconnect in 4 days of testing) but after updating to the latest release that came out today (V1.10.1.2), my issues came back again. Close but no cigar.

Message 197 of 246
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Fstockel 

Check your support case the firmware that just came out did not have the fixes that are in the beta firmware that will release later.

DarrenM

Message 198 of 246
fstockel
Star

Thank you Darren. Got confirmation that it didn't include that specific fix. But I'm very happy that a fix is in the works. I will wait for the next release before I update to official. My kit is ok for now.
Message 199 of 246
wchp
Luminary

Got a message from support and tried loading and running RBR50-V1.11.0.2-dbg1.

That was a mess... 

Did a hard factory/power reset and a soft reset.

Reloaded my config

Honeywell thermostats would not connect

3 echo dots (gen2) were dropping on and off (6 gen2 dots, 2 gen1 dots, 1 Echo, 1 Tap in house)

Could not keep a new MBP 15 Touch connected at all

Canon printers connected OK

Chamberlain Garage door opener would not connect gen2)

2 Rokus would connect, 1 would not.

Apple TV's would not connect (1 gen1 and 2 gen2)

iPhones 6, 6s and 7 would not stay connected iPad Mini3 dropped the connection as well.

iPad Mini3 dropped the connection as well.

Fire Tablet would connect.

iSmart Alarm and Arlo hub hardwired worked

Canary would connect

LogiCircle would connect

Harmony Hub would not connect

Rachio Sprinkler would not connect

Piper Gen1 would connect

Wink Hub would connect and drop and connect again...

Hardwired NAS's (4 total) and Hardwired iMac were the only things working reliably. 

WiFi was just a crapshoot at best.

Hope this interop list helps engineering roll out a permanent fix!?

Ended up using iMac on ethernet to downgrade back to V1.10.1.2

Stable network with prior config loaded running on 1.10.1.2

I would not suggest running 1.11.0.2-dgb1 unless you are willing to do some serious logging and reporting.

Would have done it myself but loaned out my spare R6900 so had to downgrade to get the house back up and running.

Not going to load beta firmware again until I have a spare router back on hand (Hint to Netgear... I won't have mine back for a month so If you want so logging with a Wide mix send me a loaner 6700, 6900 or 7000 and I'll bang on the Orbi Betas if you want.

Message 200 of 246
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7