Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent internet connectivity outage with Orbi?

mikebees
Guide

New software V1.11.0.20 ... does not solve connection issues  - test time 1 hour. Will post if longer running yeids different results. 

I just tried it. Rebooted camera and the camera still goes offline.I might let it run a little while longer to see if it keeps happening. So far the beta software was the best 

Message 226 of 246
darrylk1
Initiate

I installed the beta (1.11.0.2-dbg1) on May 29, the first few hours were a mess, worse than ever, then it settled down and has been running ever since with only a few minor hiccups.

Message 227 of 246

Message 228 of 246
mikebees
Guide

I am experiencing the same behavior - 5 hours and no drops...looking good.
Message 229 of 246
mikebees
Guide

I am experiencing the same behavior as Darryl ( below)- 5 hours and no drops...looking good.

Darrylk : ...May 29, the first few hours were a mess, worse than ever, then it settled down and has been running ever since
Message 230 of 246
sharpie00
Tutor

I had the Amplifi HD (High Density) with 3 mesh antennas. Not worth the packaging they're sold in. They look cool and the iOS App is very polished. But performance was garbage compared to the Orbi.

I ended up buying the Orbi and have been very happy with the bandwidth I'm getting on AT&T fiber. My wireless devices clock in between 300-400Mbps. I'm really glad I came across this thread as I too had consistent dropouts with my Nest cams. As soon as I turned Beamforming off, problems went away. I did notice a slight drop in speed, but it's still better than the Amplifi HD.

Not to hijack this thread, but is Netgear ever going to release a functioning app? Even their webUI to login to the Orbi sends passwords unencrypted. It's really disappointing to see such great hardware supported by atrocious software.
Message 231 of 246
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Sharpie00

There are plans to add more features into the orbi app I just do not have a timeline to give on when that will happen.

DarrenM

Message 232 of 246
mikebees
Guide

CLARIFICATION : 

Below are two different tests. The Images are different. I had about 16 outages of about 15 mins each in a day with 

V1.11.0.20. I am now trying beta (1.11.0.2-dbg1). The V1.11.0.20 was better than what I had before but still not acceptatble. I reported that I was experinceying the same behavior as darrylk1 ... but I was on a different software image. We will see how the beta image goes. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY PREVIOUS POST: 

New software V1.11.0.20 ... does not solve connection issues  - test time 1 hour. Will post if longer running yeids different results. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

darrylk1 beta (1.11.0.2-dbg1) on May 29, the first few hours were a mess, worse than ever, then it settled down and has been running ever since with only a few minor hiccups.
Message 233 of 246
Jporter80
Aspirant

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello MeGrimlock

We have a beta firmware for the issues with Nest cams with beam forming if you would like to test this PM me your contact info.

DarrenM

DarrenM, Sent you a PM for the beta firmware. How long til I hear? This dropping issue is driving me nuts.

Message 234 of 246
bsholbrook
Apprentice

This latest beta firmware was a pain to update too, but has been outstanding in terms of performance and connectivity.  I’ve had nest cameras connected with all advanced features on and had 0 drops in over a week.

Message 235 of 246
sharpie00
Tutor

Thanks Darren.

To reiterate, I love the Orbi.  It's absolutely amazing hardware.  I've actually convinced my friends and coworkers to purchase their own sets.  I am PM'ing you for the beta firmware as well.  Can you please respond when you get a moment? I'd like to enable beamforming again and see if it solves my Nest cam issues.

Thanks

Message 236 of 246
rjjds
Aspirant

Before I return my Orbi, I would like to try the beta software.

Message 237 of 246
sharpie00
Tutor

For anyone with speed issues, I encountered something I wanted to share. In my house, the builder had pre-wired all the rooms with CAT5e cabling and RJ-45 wall plates. They all terminate in the basement where I keep my AT&T gateway (modem/router). Since the Orbi router should be in a central location, it's sitting on my main floor connected to one of the wall plates, which leads to a switch in the basement which in turn connects to the gateway.

When I first set it up, I used the flat CAT5e cable that came with the Orbi to connect the router to the wall plate. I couldn't get anything past 95Mbps. It was driving me nuts. So I decided to change it to a Cat6 cable I had lying around and viola! My mobile devices jumped to 400Mbps. I understand connecting a Cat6 cable to existing CAT5e cabling will only produce speeds the CAT5e cable can handle since it would theoretically be the bottleneck. But my point is, the flat Ethernet cable that came in the box with the Orbi may be the root cause for folks who are having speed issues. Just wanted to share in case it helps anyone else.
Message 238 of 246
mikebees
Guide

42 hour update: 1.11.0.2-dbg1 (June beta software) has had no connection issues. I have not tested speed.
Message 239 of 246
Mikey94025
Hero

Latest Firmware V1.12.0.18 seems to have solved this.  I noticed my Orbi had auto-upgraded this morning and the firmware's release notes include "Fixes the Dropcam disconnection issue": https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18.

Therefore I re-enabled MU-MIMO and Implicit Beamforming.  I'm glad to report that none of my 4 Nest/Dropcam cameras have disconnected all day.

Message 240 of 246
mikebees
Guide

V1.12.0.18 how is your speed. I was on the latest beta and it turned out horribly with speed and time factored in. I measured the speed several different times. Orbi System would go offline also but I would not see this on the drop am /nest cam feed. I would see my wink system start to blink and realize the inet connection would be disconnected for a minute or two and the same for my wifi Sid.
Message 241 of 246
mikebees
Guide

No way to edit a post ...V1.12.0.18 how is your speed?
Message 242 of 246
bfam2284
Aspirant

Hi~! 

I have the Orbi currently, but thinking about switching to the X8. I have 1400 sq ft home, tri level. 15-20 devices connected 

Message 243 of 246

the x8 isnt going to cover that tri level house anywhere near what the orbi would , so depends on what you are after ? coverage or router performance

Message 244 of 246
Alexto
Star

Even with the latest firmware (1.12.0.18 ) my connection still drops on my computer all the time!    Anyone else experiencing this with the latest firmware?

Message 245 of 246
mikebees
Guide

Firmware 1.12.0.18 connectivity on nest cam seems to be fixed with mu-mimo and beam forming enabled. Current I do not have a reliable way of measuring wifi speed.

Hope this helps.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 246 of 246
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7