Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent internet connectivity outage with Orbi?

RustyShano
Guide

Intermittent internet connectivity outage with Orbi?

Firstly, while I do have a satellite also, this issue has nothing to do with that. No Wifi is involved here.  The PC is wired directly to the Orbi.

We upgraded out Xfinity service to 1gigabit/45mb.   Doing so required a new Xfinity cable modem.  All runs well unless I try to upload something of the larger variety to YouTube (anything from 500MB up to 12GB).

When uploading, the Orbi base shows solid purple and the Orbi adminstrative page says there's an Internet connection error.  There isn't an error but there is a slowdown.  The Internet is still connected.  It's almost as if the Xfinity router or the Orbi is overwhelmed with the upload workload and can't get a good status. 

While it is purple and the page says there's a connection error, everyone in the household can still access the Internet.  The only thing that I see is a severe degradation of upload speed when this starts happening.  Watching the Ethernet performance on Windows task manager, when the Orbi starts reporting this issue, the Send rate goes from around 40Mbps down to 2.2Mbps. Again, almost as if something between the Orbi and Xfinity router is acting as a bottleneck.  Once the upload is complete, the Orbi purple goes off and everything is back to normal.

The Xfinity router is an ARRIS TG3482G.  I currently have it in bridge mode although having it acting as a full access point didn't help the situation.

I have not tested connecting the PC directly to the cable modem and trying an upload that way.  I will do that and report back but I wanted to get this out there just in case someone else was in the same situation.

Thoughts?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 5
RustyShano
Guide

So I'm uploading right now wired directly through the cable modem and there is no speed issue.  It seems this is indeed an Orbi issue.  Any suggestions on Orbi configuration tweaks are much appreciated.

The Orbi logs aren't really forthcoming on what is going on unfortunately.

Thanks!

Message 2 of 5
RustyShano
Guide

So, I tried one last alternative without contacting customer support directly.  I frankly don't have the time to stay on the line forever for something that should already work.

I switched the Orbi from router to access point mode.  I then uploaded a 500MB file with no speed degradation.  

Obviously I'm giving up a few things the Orbi router offers such as Parental Controls but for now I'll have to live with my $400 base and satellite acting only as access points.

I'm still open for alternative suggestions if anyone has any.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
RustyShano
Guide

This may (or maybe not!) be my final message related to this.  The YouTube speed slowdown started occurring again.  The files being uploaded were larger (~20GB).  After a good amount of research, it seems that my browser might have been the culprit.  Evidently, Chrome has some type of throttling issue when uploading large files.  It basically tries to push the file as fast as it can.  This caused the Xfinity router to bog down (remember this is a different router than the original one due to the bandwidth upgrade).  

I fired up Microsoft Edge and uploaded the files with no issue at all.  Evidently, you can also bring up the Chrome dev tools (F12) and create a new throttling profile for just YouTube.  Doing all of this seemed like overkill so I chose the Edge route.  I don't know if Firefox has the same issue but I did read a throttling plugin was available for it.

Hope this helps someone!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW are you using on the router? 

Have you factory reset the router and run a quick speed test with out setting up the router or if you set up the router, don't configure or do anything with the speedtest under QoS or parentacl controls? 

If you use the modem in router mode, you can use the DMZ on the modem for the Orib router as a suggestion. Just disable uPnP on the modem. 

Besure LAN cabling is of good quality. CAT6 recommended. 

Test with different browsers, IE11, FF and Opera to see if there is any differences. 

Disable any PC security software temporarily as well and test. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7