Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet Connection Drops - Re-Enabled by Testing or Renewing Ip

user_error
Tutor

Internet Connection Drops - Re-Enabled by Testing or Renewing Ip

Hey All - I get disconnected from the internet (sometimes multiple times) daily and have noticed that if go to Home > Internet > Test OR Advanced Home > Connection Status > Renew, I will generally get internet connection back almost immediately. I always stay connected to WiFi and will even refresh the Router home pages a few times to see if it tells me I'm not getting an IP (Frontier), but the IP (and status page) are good, yet no internet unless I do one of the above.

I've had this problem for a while now and kept hoping that FW updates were going to resolve it, but have seen at least three updates and the problem persists. As you other 'Home Network Customer Service Managers' (aka dads or moms) know, I get to hear all the family member's complaints every time this happens and how our internet sucks. I've been babysitting this thing long enough and am ready to either find the root cause or roll back to my previous router.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

###

What Firmware is currently loaded?

V2.3.1.60

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the router is connected too?

zyxel hla 3000 (Frontier FiOS)

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

router

How many satellites do you have?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?
approx 40' - 50'

What channels are you using?
2.4 = tried 1, 2, 3 and 5 = 48

Any Wifi Neighbors near by?
currently see 2 others, but think that can be up to 5?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 40
plemans
Guru

The zyxel HLA3000  is (i believe, I don't have one) and ethernet coax bridge device. What router/modem is connected to the other end of it? 

Message 2 of 40
ekhalil
Master

Please try reducing the lease request time and see if that will give you an improvement:

• From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  • Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  • Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  • Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  • Enter the following commands:
    • root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease    — Should give you --> 86400which means 24 hours
    • root@RBR50:/# config set wan_lease=1800
    • root@RBR50:/# config commit

Message 3 of 40
user_error
Tutor

Thanks for the reply - that zyxel hardware is connected via coax to an ONT (Optical Network Terminal?) which appears to be an Arris ONT1000-PS1-2G-SFU, Rev A, FW Rev B.

Message 4 of 40
user_error
Tutor

Thank you - I've set the config per your recommendation and will post an update later.

@ekhalil wrote:

Please try reducing the lease request time and see if that will give you an improvement:

• From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  • Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
    • root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease    — Should give you --> 86400which means 24 hours

Message 5 of 40
user_error
Tutor

@ekhalil wrote:

Ok, internet just dropped again - seems to be an improvement though - that's over 24 hours w/o having to manually renew the IP. When I went to renew the IP, the lease was only nine minutes old (according to the Connection Status screen):

Lease Obtained 0 Days, 0 Hours, 30 Minutes
Lease Expires 0 Days, 0 Hours, 21 Minutes

What's the impact of continuing to reduce the lease time (although failing after nine minutes seems really short)?

Message 6 of 40
ekhalil
Master

@user_error wrote:

Ok, internet just dropped again - seems to be an improvement though - that's over 24 hours w/o having to manually renew the IP. When I went to renew the IP, the lease was only nine minutes old (according to the Connection Status screen):

What's the impact of continuing to reduce the lease time (although failing after nine minutes seems really short)?

Yes, I think you should try further reducing the time.

Currently I'm using the value 750 in my Orbi and that is giving me good performance.

You can even try 500 directly.

Message 7 of 40
user_error
Tutor

@ekhalil wrote:

@user_error wrote:

Yes, I think you should try further reducing the time.

Currently I'm using the value 750 in my Orbi and that is giving me good performance.

You can even try 500 directly.

Thanks - will do. Setting to 750 and will update with results.

Message 8 of 40
ekhalil
Master

@user_error Any update? I hope Orbi is behaiving in a better way now? 🙂

Message 9 of 40
user_error
Tutor

@ekhalil wrote:

@user_error Any update? I hope Orbi is behaiving in a better way now? 🙂

It's definitely improved, but not fixed... Had to perform manual renewal last eve. I'll continue to drop the time - currently set the same as yours. This has been a great help though! 

Would imagine this has been discussed here before, but is it known if this is a hardware, firmware, other issue?  I did not have this problem w/ previous router.

Message 10 of 40
user_error
Tutor

Interestingly, just dropped again and checked connection status:

Lease Expires 0 Days, 0 Hours, 15 Minutes

Is that what the ISP or the router determines? Seems like it should never get below 16 min expire time w/ lease renewal set to 500? Speed test looks ok, 72 / 65, but quality rated a D.

Message 11 of 40
ekhalil
Master

@user_error wrote:

Would imagine this has been discussed here before, but is it known if this is a hardware, firmware, other issue?  I did not have this problem w/ previous router.

This is a software issue in Orbi, introduced since the software 2.3.1.28 couple of months ago.

Message 12 of 40
ekhalil
Master

@user_error wrote:

Lease Expires 0 Days, 0 Hours, 15 Minutes

Is that what the ISP or the router determines? Seems like it should never get below 16 min expire time w/ lease renewal set to 500? Speed test looks ok, 72 / 65, but quality rated a D.

The lease time is determined by the ISP. Your lease time is set to 30 minutes by your ISP. Orbi will always try to renew the lease after half the time has elapsed, that is after 15 minutes.

The value 500 is little above 16 minutes. Please try to set the value to below 15 minutes, that is please try the value 420.

Message 13 of 40
user_error
Tutor

@ekhalil wrote:

@user_error wrote:

Lease Obtained 0 Days, 0 Hours, 30 Minutes Lease Expires 0 Days, 0 Hours, 15 Minutes

The lease time is determined by the ISP. Your lease time is set to 30 minutes by your ISP. Orbi will always try to renew the lease after half the time has elapsed, that is after 15 minutes.

The value 500 is little above 16 minutes. Please try to set the value to below 15 minutes, that is please try the value 420.

Thanks again for all the info. I reduced it again and will report back. Aren't these in seconds though - wouldn't that be something like seven minutes?

Message 14 of 40
user_error
Tutor

Still having to reset occasionally daily. Still similar - admin page shows good for Internet, advanced shows I have a valid IP (both even after refresh). On some occasions I will get 0.0.0.0 when I renew, but mostly it is working to get the Internet back on. Would debug logs help - does community submit those to devs somewhere to help w/ builds?

Message 15 of 40
ekhalil
Master

@Christian_R, This is the same issue that I reported earlier and I got a debuging software from you to test. I solved my issue by reducing the lease time in Orbi, so I did not try the debugging software.

@user_error has a short ISP lease time (30 min) and therefore it seems that further reducing the Orbi lease time does not solve the issue, he's seeing improvements but the problem is still there. Is it ok to forward the debugging software and instructions to him?

Message 16 of 40
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @user_error

We are looking into this issue and need debug logs for analysis. Please check your inbox for the debug instruction. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 17 of 40
Ghost71
Guide

I have the exact same issue, and with Frontier.  Same router.  In fact, Netgear technical support sent me an entirely new router thinking it would solve the issue but nope, same problem.  At least once a day I am having to log into the router and do a "Release/Renew" to get the internet back on.

At this point I'm ready to give up and just go for a different router, which is a shame because the Circle integration is just what my family needed.

Message 18 of 40
ekhalil
Master

@Ghost71 ,have you tried the procedure described above?

• config set wan_lease=420
    • config commit
Message 19 of 40
Ghost71
Guide

I have already tried this (you and I went back and forth on Telnet in another thread).  It had no effect.

Message 20 of 40
ekhalil
Master

@Ghost71 wrote:

I have already tried this (you and I went back and forth on Telnet in another thread).  It had no effect.

Sorry, don’t recall that, what was the lowest value that you used in the command above?

From what I can see the issue is caused by lost lease renewal order, so the suggested change will help repeat the renewal procedure more often. For testing purpose have you tried a value like 120?

Message 21 of 40
Ghost71
Guide

I can try reducing the value to 120 and reporting back in a day or two. 

I guess I am confused as to why this needs to happen at all.  Why can't Netgear provide a solution?  I've never had this issue with another router.

Message 22 of 40
user_error
Tutor

Netgear support went above and beyond trying to resolve this for me, including a remote session, but were never able to fix the problem... I always suspected it could be on Frontier's end, but my previous router didn't experience such frequent outages. I would bet you can isolate this to Frontier as well... Most likely your ONT is bad - there's a certain ONT that was recalled, but it seems Frontier elected to wait and see who was affected.

I'd call Frontier support contact Frontier Support (via Twitter or FB - see link) and tell them the issue (I'm sure you've probably done this), but if you have that particular ONT then they should replace it. Unfortunately, I don't have the model for you to reference, but there's a thread on DSL Reports about this where you might dig up the specific model(s) and recommendations on how to approach support. 

Good luck!

Message 23 of 40
Ghost71
Guide

Well, if that is indeed the case it should resolve itself when we move to our new house in 10 days.  Frontier will reinstall all new equipment at the new location.  

Still, if it was a bad ONT, why did it not affect the previous router?  It is only the ORBI I have an issue with, which means there is a flaw in the code, no?  I'm not a network technician but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Its just logic, no?

Message 24 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

@user_error wrote:

Hey All - I get disconnected from the internet (sometimes multiple times) daily and have noticed that if go to Home > Internet > Test OR Advanced Home > Connection Status > Renew, I will generally get internet connection back almost immediately. I always stay connected to WiFi and will even refresh the Router home pages a few times to see if it tells me I'm not getting an IP (Frontier), but the IP (and status page) are good, yet no internet unless I do one of the above.

I've had this problem for a while now and kept hoping that FW updates were going to resolve it, but have seen at least three updates and the problem persists. As you other 'Home Network Customer Service Managers' (aka dads or moms) know, I get to hear all the family member's complaints every time this happens and how our internet sucks. I've been babysitting this thing long enough and am ready to either find the root cause or roll back to my previous router.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

###

What Firmware is currently loaded?

V2.3.1.60

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Power OFF The ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on then walk thru the setup wizard after doing a factory reset?

I presume no built in router with this unit? 

Swap out LAN cable between the FIOS unit and RBR? 

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

router

How many satellites do you have?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?
approx 40' - 50'

What channels are you using?
2.4 = tried 1, 2, 3 and 5 = 48

Channels 1, 6 and 11 are only recommended channels to use on 2.4Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by?
currently see 2 others, but think that can be up to 5?

Does both wireless and wired connection loose access to the internet when this happens? 

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7