Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet Connection Speeds Slow/Degrade Over Time

Bandito
Luminary

Internet Connection Speeds Slow/Degrade Over Time

I recently noticed that my Internet download speeds had slowed down dramatically, from a normal 85 Mbits/sec down to about 2 Mbits/second, so I did some troubleshooting to see what I could find.

I first restarted the cable modem to see if that would make a difference, but it did not.  The download speeds remained abysmal.  I then verified the connection between my iMac and the Orbi system and it showed a connection speed in the range of 540 Mbits/sec, so all looked good there.  I clearly had a strong signal from the Orbi router.  So, next I rebooted the Orbi router.  Once it came back up, I retried the Internet speed test and got good, normal results, i.e. 85 Mbits/sec.

Could there be an issue with the Orbi that somehow causes the Internet speed to degrade over time?  I have seen a similar issue with other routers before, but I thought that we'd be well past anything like that with the Orbi system.  Should I be setting the Orbi up to reboot itself regularly?  Is this really necessary?

Thanks for any advice that you may have regarding this situation!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Bandito 

This shouldnt be happening I do reboot my modem once a month because I have seen these issues. How often does this happen?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
Bandito
Luminary

This is the first time that I've encountered this particular issue with the Orbi system, so once in about three months.  I'll definitely keep a closer eye on it for the next few months.

I would really like to think of the Orbi system as an appliance that just quietly goes about its duties in the background with no muss nor fuss.  Hopefully, that will be the case.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7