Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet Drops out regularly

Firebrace
Aspirant

Internet Drops out regularly

Hi guys, I recently switched to Orbi (RBK50v2) away from my ISP supplied router. Ever since I switched my internet has not been as reliable as before.

First thing I did.was updating to firmware version V2.5.1.8. 

When i check the connection status this is what I get:

Lease Obtained0 Days, 0 Hours, 5 Minutes
Lease Expires0 Days, 0 Hours, 3 Minutes

Lease time looks abnormally short. I called my ISP and they say there is nothing wrong on their end. (I am in Australia using Optus with HFC NBN).

Other thing i have tried is spoofing the mac address of the old router with no luck.

The drop out happens a few times a day and usually waiting 2-3 minutes I am back online. I'm sure its not a wireless drop out as I am still able to access the admin page during the outage.Other than this regular drop out, there isn't any other issues.

Anyone experiencing this or got any ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Internet Drops out regularly

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

Message 2 of 5
Firebrace
Aspirant

It’s an ARRIS CM8200 cable modem supplied by NBNCo. Only one port to go into the WAN port on the Orbi.
Message 3 of 5

@Firebrace wrote:
It’s an ARRIS CM8200 cable modem supplied by NBNCo. Only one port to go into the WAN port on the Orbi.

Sure looks like modem only. "Only one port" is no guarantee. (Think DM200.) But the specs are silent on any routering.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

Is it the Internet that goes off, or just the wifi? Do the LEDs over any clues? How about the logs?

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Firebrace wrote:

Hi guys, I recently switched to Orbi (RBK50v2) away from my ISP supplied router. Ever since I switched my internet has not been as reliable as before.

First thing I did.was updating to firmware version V2.5.1.8. 

When i check the connection status this is what I get:

Lease Obtained0 Days, 0 Hours, 5 Minutes
Lease Expires0 Days, 0 Hours, 3 Minutes

Lease time looks abnormally short. I called my ISP and they say there is nothing wrong on their end. (I am in Australia using Optus with HFC NBN).

Other thing i have tried is spoofing the mac address of the old router with no luck.

The drop out happens a few times a day and usually waiting 2-3 minutes I am back online. I'm sure its not a wireless drop out as I am still able to access the admin page during the outage.Other than this regular drop out, there isn't any other issues.

Anyone experiencing this or got any ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7