Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet becomes unavilable through Orbi rbr20

netperson
Aspirant

Internet becomes unavilable through Orbi rbr20

I've had a couple of Orbi's for a year or so now and have experienced this issue constantly.

Everything will be working fine, when suddenly the internet stops working. (All devices are Wifi connected to the orbi).
Turn the Orbi off and back on and everything comes good.

I've tried having the Orbi connected to a modem that also has working Wifi. When the internet becomes unavailable through the Orbi I can change to the modems wifi and see that the internet is still up and working. It is just the Orbi that cuts off the net until it is restarted.

I'm at the point of selling them and getting another solutions as I don't know what else to try?
I did update to the latest firmware over the weekend, but still experienced an internet stopage this morning.

Just hoping that someone may have a suggestion that I haven't tried? Or at least confirm this is a problem so i can just move on and get rid of these devices.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Internet becomes unavilable through Orbi rbr20

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? If this modem has a built in router and wifi, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 9
netperson
Aspirant

Running Firmware: V2.5.1.16

I've now removed the modem/router all together. The Orbi plugs directly into the Fixed Wireless NTD.
That was the configuration we were running when we had the latest internet dropout this morning.

I was only running the modem/router in front of the Orbi because I needed the extra LAN ports for smart home hubs.

I was hoping that, maybe, the problem was just between the Orbi and Modem. 

But the error today was exactly like the previous problems. But this time with the modem removed completely.

Message 3 of 9
netperson
Aspirant

I just had another internet drop out. Just after writting the previous reply.

This time I connected to the Orbi with a browser to see if I could find what was wrong.

But in the Orbi everything looked to be working. Devices are connected. The Internet Status is labeled "good".

But no devices, PC's, Laptops, Phones, Google Home devices, etc can access the internet.

Windows reports that the internet in unavailable.

Something in the Orbi is just not working, even though it appears to be up and ok.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. I would not enable Armor or Circle at this time. 

You might check with the ISP to see if they notice any drops on there side. 

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 6 of 9
netperson
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions, but I had another crash and just gave up and purchased a replacement router.

I had previously gone down the reset route without any improvment. Although I will say I've always had Circle turned on (not Armor).

Even if my ISP had some issues, the other router had never dropped Wifi like the Orbi did.

Interestingly, while purchasing the new device, the local Harvey Normal guy remembed me complaining about the Orbi last year! So I think I'm probably just over Orbi at this point.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have seen issues with having Circle enabled recently. IT's been recommended to disable Circle which seems to have clear problems for most users. I don't use Circle so I haven't see any issues with my RBK50. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 9
netperson
Aspirant

Not good if Circle was part of this problem. Circle was one of the main factors for my original purchase of the Orbi's!

However, in my case, this was a problem from day one. Just never often enough for Netgear support to want to get involved. Which I do sort of understand, as the problem was very intermittent. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7